Stray Fawn Community

Combined tech tree

Fire209

This is for if you ever introduce multiple tech trees for weapons/shields or other things. Basically, combine all the tech trees into one bog tech tree, with each arm basically being split different ways, along different damage types, or along the different things they attribute to, like one arm for shields, and one for weapons, one for logic, one for basic parts, etc...

2 replies to this post

Good suggestion. We're not sure if adding more tech-trees is the right way to go, as we want to minimize complexity/overhead and make things easier to understand - but still offer a lot of customization. Hard problem :) Only having one big tree is a possible solution. Not sure what's the right thing to do :) thanks for the suggestion.

• Like 1

I think in maximizing understanding, you need to pace player's exposure to new blocks.  At first, even armor, engines, and guns is more than enough for a new player to have trouble understanding.  I absolutely think new technologies should be unlocked through progression, to allow players some exposure to a new technology before giving them more - otherwise you risk information overload.  

My personal opinion is that research should be taken out of the weapon designer; only show researched tech there.  Elsewhere you should have a real tech tree.  Anything other than thrusters, basic blasters and hinges, basic energy and fuel, and basic armor should be behind progression gates.  My recommendation would be not to reward either focused or broad research; that is, limit price escalation with advanced technologies so that people can research many things, or focus on the things that suit their style, without necessarily falling behind either way.

I would sort the tree the same way the build categories are sorted; energy/fuel research, mechanical research, weapon research, engine research, logic research, etc.  I would also make starting technologies very cheap, to allow players to expand their basic capabilities quickly, and give them a taste of how more advanced entries can benefit them.