Stray Fawn Community

Fur Genes

PopsicleNinja

Something I've wanted for a while. Fur genes. It would have various effects.

Medium Fur: +1 Heat Resistance, +1 Cold Resistance (Unlocked at start)

Thick Fur: +2 Cold Resistance, +1 Defense, -1 Heat Resistance (Travel to the mountains)

Thin Fur: +2 Heat Resistance, +1 Scentless, -1 Cold Resistance (Travel to the savanna or jungle)

Slick Fur: +2 Cold Resistance, +1 Swimming (Perform Swim 50 times)

Feathers: +1 Heat Resistance, +1 Cold Resistance, +2 Flight (Invite creatures with this gene into your tribe)

Fur genes are disabled by Armored Body.

To balance out fur genes and heat/cold resistance, the resistance that is required to be able to not get hurt by heat/cold would be slightly higher.

• Like 3

5 replies to this post

I think the feather stats should be adjusted to either:

Feathers: +1 Heat Resistance, +2 Cold Resistance, +2 Flight

or

Feathers: +2 Heat Resistance, +2 Cold Resistance, +2 Flight

If not the 2nd suggestion then definitely the 1st one, bird feathers are good at insulation because they can be fluffed up to trap and warm air between the air pockets of individual feathers creating a warm shield around to body of the creature to protect if from the cold air surrounding it. 

As for cooling all a bird has to do to get rid of that shield of warm air is to unfluff itself, I also read but am not sure if its accurate that feathers help concentrate heat on its surface not letting it reach of the skin and body of the bird allowing that accumulated heat to simply be blown away by the slightest breeze.

I also think you should add this:

Slick Feathers(inspired by penguins and other aquatic birds): +2 Heat Resistance, +2 Cold Resistance, +1 Swimming

On 6/24/2018 at 4:28 PM, bostonlobstah said:

I believe that sea otters’ fur is very thick/dense and insulating in cold water. So I think cold resistance is good.

WWF facts about Sea Otters

Bostonlobstah is correct on Sea Otters having very dense fur.

#9 in the list on the WWF website sites that "Its fur is the densest of any animal on Earth—an estimated 1 million hairs per square inch. That’s because, unlike its fellow marine mammals, it has no blubber to keep it warm. " Another fact while we are stating them, on the WWF site #5 says " 5. If a sea otter’s fur becomes dirty, it has trouble absorbing the air needed to keep it warm. Therefore, sea otters are obsessive about keeping their fur clean, and groom themselves practically non-stop when they’re not eating or sleeping. Oil spills, therefore, can affect sea otters perhaps more so than any other marine mammal; oil coating their fur can lead to death by hypothermia. "

Note that I am not a biologist myself, I just googled "Sea Otter fur facts".

But in question to the original topic I think that cold resistance is good.

• Like 2