Stray Fawn Community

Butterfly Body

MysticTopaz

Okay, I know what you're thinking, but I have a very good reason for not putting on a head, tail, or coloring the legs: I wanted the full focus to be on the body! XD

1843692470_ButterflyBody.png.e8dd425c7580c6ea22db9f566a21ec72.png

You will most definitely still have a tail and head and colored limbs, I just wanted to focus on the body.

Speaking of the body, though, let me first focus on the actual main body then I'll get to the wings: The body is broken up into three sections. The top section of the body is very fluffy and puffy, similar to that of the Big Body, and takes on the dominant fur color. The middle section is smooth and takes on the recessive fur color. The bottom section is also smooth but matches the top section in taking on the dominant fur color. The middle and bottom sections are supposed to be round/cylindrical like a butterfly's body; I did my best to get that kind of impression. The middle section is where the top wings connect, and the bottom section is where the bottom wings connect, though since they're butterfly wings they look like it's all one big wing, so I guess it doesn't really matter when it comes to actually making the models for the game. XD

Now for the wings attached to the body: Butterfly wings can vary from bottom [facing toward you] to top [when you view them from the back], so as a result I decided to draw three different types of butterfly wing. All of them offer +4 flying and you can fly with this body, but no swooping. Having two bird wings instead would get you a lot farther a lot faster, of course, but flying for this body is more or less a background ability; it's what you'll see below that's the real stars of the show.

Type 1 [at the top with the gradient]: +1 attractiveness, +1 distasteful appearance, +1 poisonous [when being attacked]

Type 2 [bottom left green one]: +2 camouflage +1 attractiveness

Type 3 [bottom right yellow one]: +2 intimidate +1 distasteful appearance

.::EDIT::.

I figured it would be best to show a full body complete nicheling with this body as an example, so below I will do just that!

Type 1:

1323278431_ButterflyBodyType1.png.8c5bbfc4915afc9a0fcdb23644f8232e.png

Type 2:

1627284264_ButterflyBodyType2.png.822b8dabfc5839b6655c529b4f862929.png

Type 3:

304268370_ButterflyBodyType3.png.3fe62cc07baa8bd5def073a3bce59991.png

.::EDIT2::.

I had the idea to draw out variations of the wings, so here we go! I included as many fur colors, horn colors, and eye colors as I could to make these Type 1 Variations! But first, a little info:

The body's midsection is the recessive fur color, and the top and bottom are the dominant fur color.

The wing's outline is the same as the horn color.

The wing's semi-transparent gradient goes like this: The color closest to the body is the recessive eye color and the color closest to the tip of the wing is the dominant eye color. I replaced Violet with Pink because I like it better that way. Besides, pink stands out more.

The wing's spots go like this: The big spots are the complimentary color to the dominant eye color [example: Blue-Orange, pink-yellow], and the little spots are the complimentary color to the recessive eye color.

Now on to the wings!!

Just the wings by themselves:

1867196971_ButterflyWingsType1Group1.jpg.b95ad8afef733919a1fe6620de2183fb.jpg

The wings with the body outlines: [because I've been told these are easier to see]

2033374115_ButterflyWingsType1Group2.jpg.9c16393caa8d7f727b92a1d0aa7ee05b.jpg

The full examples of wing variants with colored bodies:

810024032_ButterflyWingsType1Group3.png.f7151429551d5d1caf4c2237b281d5b4.png

And for flavor, here we have an example of an Albino and a Melanistic nicheling:

464455833_ButterflyWingsType1AlbinoMelanistic.png.365500de276b3a8e63e10ee2273d0b24.png

• Like 17
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

5 minutes ago, Skysplash8 said:

But what about color combinations?? You wouldn't be able to have  a pink Nicheling with Wings because you have to have red + white, but you can't have that when you have Butterfly body. I think it would be better if it was something like the top and bottom bits are the fur color (both colors combined) and the middle part the pattern color (both colors combined), like @Pokestardragacraft said. Patterns on the pattern colored part would just not show up. 

Even better than this, it could just all be the same color. Then we wouldn't have weirdly colored body parts.

You misunderstood me: When I said 'a pink nicheling' I meant 'a nicheling that would otherwise be pink', as I thought that was a logical train of thought, but I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough. As for the "Even better than this, it could just all be the same color. Then we wouldn't have weirdly colored body parts." I made the middle segment a different color to emphasize that it is, in fact, a segmented body, and I personally find it aesthetically pleasing. Imagine a nicheling with orange [red +yellow] spots, a black dominant fur color, and a red recessive fur color. So Halloween-y! ❤️

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Leaellynasaura said:

I wonder what this would look like with peacock tail?

I'm not really good at drawing all the details of a peacock tail, but here's my best shot XD It'd probably look way better than that.

1881962253_ButterflyBodyType3withPeacockTail.png.2a98258fcec285156964ffaf7e944c47.png

1 minute ago, Leaellynasaura said:

It looks a bit like a beak XD

Kinda like how sometimes butterflies look like owls? XD Although the Type 3 Butterfly Body was supposed to be modeled after a Big Eyed Ape, so it's a liiittle bit weird lol

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:16 PM, Skysplash8 said:

weirdly colored body parts.

I've added a couple pictures of full-body nichelings with the Type 1 and Type 2 wings, if you wanna take a look~ Still working on the Type 3 tho

On 6/28/2018 at 2:38 AM, MysticTopaz said:

I edited the original post to show a full body nicheling with the Type 1 wings- please check it out~! ❤️ 

cool! also maybe this:

maybe nichelings with this ability can land on grass(maybe not), healing plants, rocks and bushes and gain the effects of high position, and land side ways on otherwise unlandable trees and structures(like ape trees)

2 hours ago, Fishyfishyfishy500 said:

cool! also maybe this:

maybe nichelings with this ability can land on grass(maybe not), healing plants, rocks and bushes and gain the effects of high position, and land side ways on otherwise unlandable trees and structures(like ape trees)

Actually in the recent update they made plant growths come off the giant trees to allow for flying nichelings to sit on them :D I thought that was pretty cool.
What do you mean by landing on grass?
I like the idea of landing on healing plants, rocks, and bushes, since nichelings with this body are supposed to be smaller than the other available bodies.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MysticTopaz said:

Actually in the recent update they made plant growths come off the giant trees to allow for flying nichelings to sit on them :D I thought that was pretty cool.
What do you mean by landing on grass?
I like the idea of landing on healing plants, rocks, and bushes, since nichelings with this body are supposed to be smaller than the other available bodies.

Thanks topaz! I mean that you can land on top of grass and always be in a high position

53 minutes ago, ChasingNyx said:

@MysticTopaz
Ahhh you added the third one! It looks so cooool!
Also question:
Since you get +4 flight with this body, what happens with your ground movement?

Thank you so much!! ❤️ I like it a lot, but I think Type One is still my favorite XD I'm currently working on the project you inspired me to do- want spoilers while I'm working on it, or want it to be a surprise~?

I believe it would be like taking a running start- your ground movement is in the tiles immediately around you, and then the flying movement is beyond that. :) Of course you could still go from being right next to a tree to being on top of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niche fan said:

Really like the art the idea and the fact that it's poisonous . 

Would it have a "soft body"? Even though it's poisonous it can only be hit a few times?     

Thank you!! I'm working on another piece for this, so stay tuned!

I don't understand? Is there a suggestion somewhere for Soft Body? Please elaborate? :) 

No comment, just thought butterflies were delicate so couldn't take much damage, especially since it's the body not just the wings 

The body would be regular strength if it was a beetle because they have a hard exoskeleton but still "squishy" easily squashed / killed.

If it has like 6 legs for defense that would make a difference.

Love the idea and the new peacock feathers. 

Take care,

I finally managed to think of how I can say what I was trying to say before in a simpler way. What I was trying to explain is, if, for example, there was a creature with white and black fur, but also Butterfly Body, then you wouldn't be able to get a nice gray color like you normally would. Instead, you'd just get a white creature with a black middle. So basically what I had been trying to say is that you wouldn't ever get cool colors like gray, pink, or even the orange color of Adam on a Butterfly Bodied creature. (It's not like Adam would have Butterfly Body, but still, orange is cool)

6 hours ago, Skysplash8 said:

I finally managed to think of how I can say what I was trying to say before in a simpler way. What I was trying to explain is, if, for example, there was a creature with white and black fur, but also Butterfly Body, then you wouldn't be able to get a nice gray color like you normally would. Instead, you'd just get a white creature with a black middle. So basically what I had been trying to say is that you wouldn't ever get cool colors like gray, pink, or even the orange color of Adam on a Butterfly Bodied creature. (It's not like Adam would have Butterfly Body, but still, orange is cool)

That is indeed how this body is meant to function, similarly to how Toxic Body overrides the fur colors entirely and replaces them with a random neon color, or how Albino and Melanistic creatures override the fur color. :) Some people would like it, others wouldn't, just like all the aforementioned genetics.

11 hours ago, Niche fan said:

No comment, just thought butterflies were delicate so couldn't take much damage, especially since it's the body not just the wings 

The body would be regular strength if it was a beetle because they have a hard exoskeleton but still "squishy" easily squashed / killed.

If it has like 6 legs for defense that would make a difference.

Love the idea and the new peacock feathers. 

Take care,

Thank you so much! ❤️ While I agree that butterflies are delicate, I don't think a debuff is necessary for these bodies; they don't add any strength or defense, so they would get hit just as hard as Lean Body.

18 hours ago, XzanderClownfish said:

🦋I love how the first one symbolizes the colors of your profile pick. They really should do that with the normal wings.🦋 

Teehee, I think you're the first one to notice that! XD Type 1 is my favorite after all~

9 hours ago, Skysplash8 said:

I've just added some new drawings into the original post that might help ease your mind a bit :) Please do take a look; they're at the very bottom!

• Like 2