Stray Fawn Community

Butterfly Body

MysticTopaz

Okay, I know what you're thinking, but I have a very good reason for not putting on a head, tail, or coloring the legs: I wanted the full focus to be on the body! XD

1843692470_ButterflyBody.png.e8dd425c7580c6ea22db9f566a21ec72.png

You will most definitely still have a tail and head and colored limbs, I just wanted to focus on the body.

Speaking of the body, though, let me first focus on the actual main body then I'll get to the wings: The body is broken up into three sections. The top section of the body is very fluffy and puffy, similar to that of the Big Body, and takes on the dominant fur color. The middle section is smooth and takes on the recessive fur color. The bottom section is also smooth but matches the top section in taking on the dominant fur color. The middle and bottom sections are supposed to be round/cylindrical like a butterfly's body; I did my best to get that kind of impression. The middle section is where the top wings connect, and the bottom section is where the bottom wings connect, though since they're butterfly wings they look like it's all one big wing, so I guess it doesn't really matter when it comes to actually making the models for the game. XD

Now for the wings attached to the body: Butterfly wings can vary from bottom [facing toward you] to top [when you view them from the back], so as a result I decided to draw three different types of butterfly wing. All of them offer +4 flying and you can fly with this body, but no swooping. Having two bird wings instead would get you a lot farther a lot faster, of course, but flying for this body is more or less a background ability; it's what you'll see below that's the real stars of the show.

Type 1 [at the top with the gradient]: +1 attractiveness, +1 distasteful appearance, +1 poisonous [when being attacked]

Type 2 [bottom left green one]: +2 camouflage +1 attractiveness

Type 3 [bottom right yellow one]: +2 intimidate +1 distasteful appearance

.::EDIT::.

I figured it would be best to show a full body complete nicheling with this body as an example, so below I will do just that!

Type 1:

1323278431_ButterflyBodyType1.png.8c5bbfc4915afc9a0fcdb23644f8232e.png

Type 2:

1627284264_ButterflyBodyType2.png.822b8dabfc5839b6655c529b4f862929.png

Type 3:

304268370_ButterflyBodyType3.png.3fe62cc07baa8bd5def073a3bce59991.png

.::EDIT2::.

I had the idea to draw out variations of the wings, so here we go! I included as many fur colors, horn colors, and eye colors as I could to make these Type 1 Variations! But first, a little info:

The body's midsection is the recessive fur color, and the top and bottom are the dominant fur color.

The wing's outline is the same as the horn color.

The wing's semi-transparent gradient goes like this: The color closest to the body is the recessive eye color and the color closest to the tip of the wing is the dominant eye color. I replaced Violet with Pink because I like it better that way. Besides, pink stands out more.

The wing's spots go like this: The big spots are the complimentary color to the dominant eye color [example: Blue-Orange, pink-yellow], and the little spots are the complimentary color to the recessive eye color.

Now on to the wings!!

Just the wings by themselves:

1867196971_ButterflyWingsType1Group1.jpg.b95ad8afef733919a1fe6620de2183fb.jpg

The wings with the body outlines: [because I've been told these are easier to see]

2033374115_ButterflyWingsType1Group2.jpg.9c16393caa8d7f727b92a1d0aa7ee05b.jpg

The full examples of wing variants with colored bodies:

810024032_ButterflyWingsType1Group3.png.f7151429551d5d1caf4c2237b281d5b4.png

And for flavor, here we have an example of an Albino and a Melanistic nicheling:

464455833_ButterflyWingsType1AlbinoMelanistic.png.365500de276b3a8e63e10ee2273d0b24.png

• Like 17
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

This seems awesome. I really want this! I hope more people find it, upvote my friend! Also, possible suggestion; You know how toxic body gives random colors? What if the wings did the same. I know you said you meant all those different wings as different options for the devs, but I swear, it'd be so cool to see a whole flock of colorful different colored butterfly nichelings! Or, maybe, the back wings could be a seperate gene. Orrrrr,  Butterfly Body 1 is the gradiant, and it has a wing name, and so on! God I'd love that. Anyways, my ramblings aside, awesome idea! And awesome artwork!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Pokestardragacraft said:

I’m totally for this idea, it was actually one I was planning to post a topic on it myself alongside another winged body: the beetle body with +4 flight and +1 defense. What held me back for posting it was trying to balance it with the wings we currently have. Maybe it wouldn’t add onto the flight if you already have normal wings?  I don’t know, 12 flight seems like too much to me. 

Regardless of all that, I have a few questions:

1. What do you mean by dominant fur color? Since the color in game incompletely dominant, I can only assume you meant either the top color is “dominant” and the bottom color is “recessive”, or the regular color’s “dominant” and the pattern color’s “recessive”.

2. How would you get the different types?

3. What do you mean by “+2 intimidate”?

Thank you! ❤️ 

"12 flight seems like too much to me" I disagree, because while 12 flight seems great in theory, you must take into account the fact that you're giving up strength and gathering options in favor of all that movement, plus you'd still be garbage underwater and don't even get me started on carnivorous plants. I think if you /really/ want to, you should be allowed to have that 12 flight, because you're giving up a lot for it. Meanwhile, the nichelings that specialize in just wings or just the Butterfly Body have so many more options available to them.

1. By dominant fur color I mean the color on the top, and the recessive on the bottom. For example, a pink nicheling with white on top and red on bottom would have segments 1 and 3 as white and segment 2 as red. Patterns aren't related to this, so you can still have all the pattern options of the other bodies.

2. I actually provided the three types, not as three separate types for the game, but as three options for the one body in the game. By that, I mean that I provided three possibilities for the game designers to choose from to place in the game. /Either/ Type 1, 2, or 3; not all of them. I mean, if they WANT to put all of them in there, I think that'd be great, but that wasn't my original intent. As to how one might get them, I think that's a very good question. Perhaps gathering a certain amount of fruit from carnivorous plants? XD That way I can hate those stupid plants a little bit less? They've taken so many of my babies in the past I've never gotten over my grudge against them.

3. By "+2 intimidate" I mean it would function similarly to Bearyena Snout and Saber Tooth Fangs, but it'd be passive rather than something you have to activate yourself. In other words, foes wouldn't want to approach a nicheling with the intimidate ability unless the foe didn't have any other food options.

• Thanks 1

I have another suggestion!! :)

What if as well as -1 cold resistance it also gave +1 heat resistance and something I call +1 cooling (like radiation but with the opposite effect)

Because I imagine the wings could provide shade for the nicheling and it could fan surrounding nichelings with its wings :) (this would only go into effect in hot weather)

• Like 2

On 7/12/2018 at 11:53 AM, bostonlobstah said:

The only thing I would change, like others have said, is having the segmented middle body part be the pattern color instead of the dominant base color. 

I just really want a pink butterfly :)

On 7/12/2018 at 3:13 PM, Skysplash8 said:

@bostonlobstah Exactly! That what I've been trying to say xD

Man, it's been forever since I've visited the forums! But now that I'm here, I wanted my first comment to address both of you! Bostonlobstah, I agree with you- having the middle segment be the pattern color while the top and bottom are normal fur color makes a lot more sense than my idea XD And Skysplash8, I'm sorry I didn't fully understand the error of my ways until now xD

I might make some new art of this body concept, but I'm not sure whether I would post it here on this chat or somewhere else. Either way, I'll make sure it looks like the more logical pattern-color instead of what I was doing before. Besides: it gives way more options for cuteness!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skysplash8 said:

What if you had regular wings in addition to this? It would look really weird.. 

Having two wings along with this would mean a +12 flying nicheling, but it certainly would look very weird and, at least in my opinion, would be relatively difficult to play with, as you essentially put all your stats into movement, which makes it harder for you to gather food and nesting materials, not to mention being weaker in the event of an attack by a predator, but hey, if you wanna make a weird four-winged nicheling, go right ahead XD It certainly wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've ever seen in this game.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Leaellynasaura said:

I like the idea of making flight available with a body! Then, you can focus on collecting with the paws.

Thank you~! I like it, too, and I felt Butterfly would be best for that purpose- it gives the same amount of flying ability as one wing, so if you want a 'professional' flying nicheling then having two bird wings would still be the best option, but for those of us who like pretty things and don't want to lose our collecting prowess, Butterfly Body would be best ❤️ Just imagine a precious little Short Snout with Round Ears, beige dominant and chestnut brown recessive fur colors on the Type 1 Butterfly Body, with Antennae, Double Nimble Fingers, and a Fishing Tail~!

• Like 2

I’m totally for this idea, it was actually one I was planning to post a topic on it myself alongside another winged body: the beetle body with +4 flight and +1 defense. What held me back for posting it was trying to balance it with the wings we currently have. Maybe it wouldn’t add onto the flight if you already have normal wings?  I don’t know, 12 flight seems like too much to me. 

Regardless of all that, I have a few questions:

1. What do you mean by dominant fur color? Since the color in game incompletely dominant, I can only assume you meant either the top color is “dominant” and the bottom color is “recessive”, or the regular color’s “dominant” and the pattern color’s “recessive”.

2. How would you get the different types?

3. What do you mean by “+2 intimidate”?

8 hours ago, ChasingNyx said:

This seems awesome. I really want this! I hope more people find it, upvote my friend! Also, possible suggestion; You know how toxic body gives random colors? What if the wings did the same. I know you said you meant all those different wings as different options for the devs, but I swear, it'd be so cool to see a whole flock of colorful different colored butterfly nichelings! Or, maybe, the back wings could be a seperate gene. Orrrrr,  Butterfly Body 1 is the gradiant, and it has a wing name, and so on! God I'd love that. Anyways, my ramblings aside, awesome idea! And awesome artwork!

Thank you so much~! I would love it if there could be a whole bunch of butterfly wings in the game, I just didn't think it'd work out like that. To be honest, my favorite type is Type 1, the gradient, and I'd love it if there could be a whole bunch of different Type 1's in the game. Heck, I think you've just inspired me to make more art of this! ❤️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pokestardragacraft said:

Oh, @Niche fan‘s comment on delicacy made me think of another question:

Would they work in rain? In my opinion, they shouldn’t and they shouldn’t work after the rain for 1-2 days unless your Nicheling was under a tree.

I can understand not working in rain, but not the not working 1-2 days afterword. That'd be a bit much. But yeah, not working during rain seems legit. Maybe also having a negative resistance to the cold, the way Big Body has a negative resistance to heat?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pokestardragacraft said:

Would they work in rain? In my opinion, they shouldn’t and they shouldn’t work after the rain for 1-2 days unless your Nicheling was under a tree.

On 7/7/2018 at 6:13 PM, MysticTopaz said:

Thank you!! I'm working on another piece for this, so stay tuned!

I don't understand? Is there a suggestion somewhere for Soft Body? Please elaborate? :) 

8 hours ago, Pokestardragacraft said:

On 6/27/2018 at 11:38 AM, MysticTopaz said:

I edited the original post to show a full body nicheling with the Type 1 wings- please check it out~! ❤️ 

Dang Mystic they are beautiful. never disappointed. Really really amazing. I don't usually say dang but didn't want to swear lol.

• Like 3

I think it should block the tail like Spiky Body does.
type 1 gives distastefull appearence and toxidity, same as toxic body, but adds flying and attractiveness so there has to be something to balance it out
no tails would also be a bit more realistic, unless you can name me a butterfly with tail (longer wing parts that are called tail don't count)
and it wouldn't be so crowded

41 minutes ago, Pokestardragacraft said:

Since the color in game incompletely dominant, I can only assume you meant either the top color is “dominant” and the bottom color is “recessive”, or the regular color’s “dominant” and the pattern color’s “recessive".

3 minutes ago, MysticTopaz said:

By dominant fur color I mean the color on the top, and the recessive on the bottom. For example, a pink nicheling with white on top and red on bottom would have segments 1 and 3 as white and segment 2 as red. Patterns aren't related to this, so you can still have all the pattern options of the other bodies.

But what about color combinations?? You wouldn't be able to have  a pink Nicheling with Wings because you have to have red + white, but you can't have that when you have Butterfly body. I think it would be better if it was something like the top and bottom bits are the fur color (both colors combined) and the middle part the pattern color (both colors combined), like @Pokestardragacraft said. Patterns on the pattern colored part would just not show up. 

Even better than this, it could just all be the same color. Then we wouldn't have weirdly colored body parts.

• Like 4