Stray Fawn Community

Fuel/Power Sharing

Lobot

I Miss the satellite designs that were possible in the demo, it allowed for compact and complex designs to be made. I understand it brings some of the challenges out of the game, but I feel like it would work if you could toggle it and then features like world progression and resource collection would be disabled. The challenge is still there but it allows the satellite build to come back. I might just be an idiot and there might be a way to do the satellite build that I don't know about. If there is please tell me.

• Like 3

15 replies to this post

Maybe batteries that recharge when hit with a particular elemental ammo? Give a reason to drop the shields and use damage reduction upgrades on a weapon.

I rather like the idea of satellite-launching drones too and would love to see them encouraged, even if it's not for the same reasons they were used initially. One of the satellite builds that I'd like to try making once I have access to something that isn't the pre-alpha version is basically an attack satellite with long-range, cursor-aimed weapons and a small ship that is built with just thrusters, a shield, and the fuel tanks and batteries to operate both. Would just use the small, weaponless ship part of it to call in orbital strikes upon my enemies.😈

• Like 1

Mabey a way to transfer recourses or fuel or power with some kind of pipe or connection thingy would be neat at some point? I'd definetly like the ability to leave a recourse harvesting drone to collect recourses while I shuttle the recourses back and forth.

It's still possible to create satellites, and while fuel/power sharing is not possible, you can still offload your logic blocks and even your drone core!

All thanks to the camera block - while the appropriate input is active, the camera is centred on the camera block, in the same way as it is usually done on a drone - if you have multiple camera blocks active at once, the camera zooms out to see both blocks (useful for huge drones).

with clever logic, you can set it up with a toggle so the same controls can be used with different drones. I have a large hovering drone, with several other drones docked to it with decouplers (usually a couple of identical combat drones, and a harvester) The volume saved by the lack of a core is usually enough for fuel and power, with the added bonus that if it's destroyed, you can still continue as the core is elsewhere.

I could try and mod that in if you want

On 6/30/2018 at 2:21 AM, Lobot said:

I Miss the satellite designs that were possible in the demo, it allowed for compact and complex designs to be made. I understand it brings some of the challenges out of the game, but I feel like it would work if you could toggle it and then features like world progression and resource collection would be disabled. The challenge is still there but it allows the satellite build to come back. I might just be an idiot and there might be a way to do the satellite build that I don't know about. If there is please tell me.

On 7/5/2018 at 5:53 AM, jbox1 said:

I can maybe mod them to allow weaker springs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe we can have a part which is like a endless stretching "umbilical cord". It does let through energy and fuel. So it would act similar to the old system. The old system was not so good as we think it's more interesting if you have more limitations. So if we would add such a cord, we would need to add a limitation to it. Maybe a distance limit, maybe you lose efficiency depending on distance, maybe it can be easily destroyed or ripped. Let's see, but I see where you're coming from and maybe we find a good solution to allow you tinkerers create cool stuff :) 

If you really need a weaker spring we can add one, no mods needed :) But if you just want to circumvent this mechanic, then we rather find a good solution than mis-use parts.

If you mis-use parts to create stuff we didn't anticipate, please go ahead! We love to see you come up with creative solutions. And this weak-spring / umbilical cord thing is great xD 

Has any consideration been given to a part that would work like the resource collector, but instead works with fuel/power/resources stored in a drone piece?

Just... you've got your little gathering of fuel tanks (We'll call it the "station") decoupled and left somewhere out of the way of trouble and the mobile part of the drone (We'll just call it the "drone") has a non-refueling tank and this fuel collector piece (Calling this one the "collector"). You fly the drone to the station and activate the collector. The collector starts drawing fuel from any nearby sources and spreads it among fuel tanks that are physically connected to it. In this case, it'll be drawing fuel from the tanks in the station. This collector could possibly draw fuel from tanks it's connected to in order to redistribute fuel between connected tanks so that a large, emptied fuel tank could get refilled by smaller tanks to the point that all tanks on the drone reach empty at the same time.

It could also see some use with resource collection by having a largish drone make mini resource collecting drones with factory blocks and having them collect resources in much the same way early demos did with the minidrones giving their resources to the main drone.

• Like 1

This is a good suggestion @Marker Mage. We had internal discussions on how to make the fuel/energy system more interesting and to be able to recharge some things or have different forms of energy gathering were mentioned. I think we can make new interesting mechanics there. Looking forward to implement new things there :) 

Well, I think I HAVE mentioned in another thread the idea of an ammo type that could recharge batteries (might have had some extra about being able to overload them to the point of being temporarily disabled). Maybe you could make fuel guns or even resource guns that use up fuel and resources respectively instead of energy and use THAT to transfer them.

• Like 1