Stray Fawn Community

Make Visuals More Accurate

First of all, I'm unable to post this in the suggestions tab because the site keeps giving me a 403, so maybe that could be another thing to help me out with. 

Nimbatus_Screenshot_201807042101507529.png

This planet shows me that there are two pools of resources on the planet's surface. I take the time to go around the planet twice using the transmitter as a marker, and I don't see anything. 

Nimbatus_Screenshot_201807042100522244.png

I even drill through the planet from two sides to see if there could be any resources at all (I'm at the center), but there still aren't any resources. 

I would really like it to be more accurate. It doesn't even have to be completely accurate, especially if they're underground because who might bother checking the overview? I just want to make sure a planet has resources and not be fooled and waste my time.

• Century Orion changed the title to Something I Find Annoying (Suggestion That I Can't Properly Post)
1 hour ago, Century Orion said:

This planet shows me that there are two pools of resources on the planet's surface. I take the time to go around the planet twice using the transmitter as a marker, and I don't see anything. 

The little graphics are innacurate, and are purely for visuals. They reveal nothing about the structure of the planet however.

1 minute ago, jbox1 said:

The little graphics are innacurate, and are purely for visuals. They reveal nothing about the structure of the planet however.

I'm only trying to say that if there aren't any resources on a planet, then the visuals shouldn't have them, either. It's misleading and could cause a waste of time as it often takes long to dig through a planet. 

• Like 1

• Century Orion changed the title to Make Visuals More Accurate

I absolutely agree @Century Orion: You are using the Demo version here, in the Alpha it is differently implemented.

Actually: In the demo version, what you see as "Preview", is actually the real planet, but only a small portion of it. This means that if you see a resource, then it is really there. But the location is different, as the circle is from some random? location.

We changed that in the new version. The alpha version has a graphic representation of the planet, a hand-drawn image. There you don't get an indication of where the resource are. You only see what the biome is as an icon, not actual shape or locations.

We can't show you the "real" planet in the preview, because generating this image takes quite a while (a big part of the planet-loading). 

• Like 1

Hmm. It could be possible. Maybe a way could be that  you had a button where you could press "Scan" and then we only calculate every 4th or 8th pixel, making the render-time much smaller. And the Preview would be accurate, but not very detailed. But that field currently is still very fragile. We have a buffering system, where it calculates stuff behind the scenes so that the loading times are shorter. We would have to redo all that stuff to get a good preview. Tricky stuff :) Probably something we have to save for a later time.