Stray Fawn Community

Movable/Buildable Thorns

AerisTheSkelecat

Ok, so I know someone said that there wont be any advanced buildings or anything in the game, but I think this is basic enough that it wont hurt or take anything away from the game.

Movable Thorns: Thorns that are already on the island can be moved 1 tile at a time by being pushed by a nicheling. Pushing a thorn bush would take 1 action point, and you would have a chance of taking 1 day of dammage. (Maybe dammage cant be taken if the nicheling has nimble fingers.)

Buildable Thorns: Not as strong as real thorns, but more convienient. Building thorns takes 10 nesting material for each bush. After 10 days, the bush will turn dark brown and become shorter to show that it will brake soon. After 15 days, it will disapear completely. To fix a thorn bush, you need 5 nesting material. Attacking and moving the built thorn bushes will also give less dammage than real ones.

I think these would be good as a defence against predators. You can build a few around a nest to protect your babys, or if you have enough nest material, you could build a whole camp! (This should not defend againt birds though, since they can fly through the roof.) I dont think this is to OP though, since it costs so much and deteriorates so quickly. If it is, the price could be raised, or the "lifespan" shortened.

3 replies to this post

I think the movable thorn bushes sound like tumbleweeds. Perhaps they could be added to the savannah biome (or a desert biome if it ever comes). Tumbleweeds are plants that, to spread their seeds long distances across the windy, open environment they live in, shed their entire overground part and allows that to tumble in the wind and slowly degrade, releasing the seeds/spores at many intervals. Perhaps you could roll the tumbleweed to wherever you want and secure it using building material to form a defense. However, after a little research, I found no precedence of animals (besides humans) purposely making structures out of thorny bushes for defense. However, some birds do nest in thorny bushes, and may even prefer to, probably for the extra protection against predators.

• Like 1

It's not about being OP. It's about realism. What kind of animals would build thorns in real life? Also real thorns have roots so you couldn't move them.

11 hours ago, BlazingCorvid said:

I think the movable thorn bushes sound like tumbleweeds. Perhaps they could be added to the savannah biome (or a desert biome if it ever comes). Tumbleweeds are plants that, to spread their seeds long distances across the windy, open environment they live in, shed their entire overground part and allows that to tumble in the wind and slowly degrade, releasing the seeds/spores at many intervals. Perhaps you could roll the tumbleweed to wherever you want and secure it using building material to form a defense. However, after a little research, I found no precedence of animals (besides humans) purposely making structures out of thorny bushes for defense. However, some birds do nest in thorny bushes, and may even prefer to, probably for the extra protection against predators.

I like the tumbleweed idea!

I thought of this thorn bush thing because of a group of stray cats who live in a blackberry grove near where I live. It even looks like they've pushed aside the vines in some places to make tunnels.

But maybe these cats are just strange, idk x3

But, yeah, tumbleweeds do make more sense that moving thorn bushes...

• Like 1