Stray Fawn Community

Different screen effect for hearing and smell modes

Asterai

Giving hearing mode and smell mode different visual filters would make it impossible to mistake one for the other.  This is most important for newer players, who are most likely to mistake the modes, but would improve the experience of advanced players too (my fingers have slid a key over on accident more than once).  In addition, different filters could add a degree of flavoring to the different senses.

A very simple way to achieve this would be to give smell a sepia tone filter while retaining the grayscale filter of hearing.  Some other ideas:

- Add a blur effect to the colored glows of smell mode; it's not a good sense for precise location at a distance.

- Leave tribe nichelings in color in both or either modes.  They are recognized and known to every sense.

• Like 1

1 reply to this post

I really like your idea for adding a blur effect in smell mode. I think that would work really well in combination with the high winds suggestion if it is added in, where it moves the location of the creature in scent mode. However, I don't like the idea of leaving nichlings in color - if you have a green poison-body nichling, a yellow nichling, or a red nichling, you could perhaps mistake them for food, an enemy, or a wanderer. The nichling's colors would also distract from finding those things in scent and hearing mode. If the purpose of your second suggestion is to make it easier to find your nichlings in smell or hearing mode, perhaps instead they could be outlined in an unused color, like pink or purple or dark blue.

• Like 1