Stray Fawn Community

Overcrowding issues.

Snowystar32

Currently, all of my tribes are huge and I want to get rid of half the tribe without banishing them since I don't want competition, and I don't want to kill them either, Can you make it so there is another button below the travel Icon on ports to send any nichelings on the port to another island but not following them? So we can getv rid of our excess nichelings slightly more easier and guilt-free.

11 replies to this post

I think that idea is very interesting and would be a convenient way to get rid of unwanted nichlings. However, it might also be a bit op since the issues that come along with overcrowding are meant to be one of the challenges of expanding your pack. I think there should be a price in food for sending a nichling away since it takes time to find new food on the island. Since you start with 2 nichlings and 20 food, having 10 food per nichling sent away makes sense, though that would be a heavy price, but if you have a useless nichling that would just be a food sink for all its life, that price might be worth it. It would also be cool if, when you send a creature away to an island and then travel to that island later, you could see that nichling there!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Lilytuft said:

200!? My biggest tribe was 90

90!? I can't go above 10 without losing!

Anways, I agree that this should have some sort of cost (like the food mentioned above). When you make a large tribe, it's supposed to be challenging to support them all, so it would be kind of OP to be able to send them away without any cost.

• Like 1

Just do what i did in this situation: Start breeding in low-fertility, and adapt your personal play-style to accommodate it.

step 1; Low fertility in the mutation menu: Creatures will begin being born with low fertility, meaning less chance of successful pregnancy when breeding. Pregnancy is still possible, but it will take more tries. Every action you spend trying to breed is another resource burned, if you need too, you can have both nichelings spend all their actions attempting to mate for a pseudo-guaranteed child, but they won't be able to do much else on that turn, forcing you to slow down and consider how many tries is too many.

Step 2; Try to maintain a "Every other turn" policy. If babies were born on Turn 1. Make sure that no pregnant females are on nests during turn 2. They can sit on nests on turn 3 however. This will effectively cut your reproduction rate in half.

Step 3; Wait for death. Keep an eye on your total population, I've been keeping mine hovering at around 200 by making sure that new babies are only ever born when older adults finally pass on. 

And step 4: Accept expend-ability. When you have so many nichelings you don't know what to do with them, they start to become more expendable and unnecessary. Use this to your advantage, send a group of unimpressive nichelings to tackle apes or explore the oceans, experiment with locking a small group away from the rest and introducing some new genes to allow speciation to take effect. take some risks you normally wouldn't take. When you have two hundred creatures, loosing ten or so isn't going to be the end of the world. If you're really brave, you could start intentionally breeding creatures with double-up immunities. Half the lifespan means faster deaths, meaning less time waiting for the next generation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TamTroll said:

Keep an eye on your total population, I've been keeping mine hovering at around 200

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dinocanid said:

I was my biggest tribe. Usually I try to stay below 30. Sometimes it gets over 40 and that's when the trouble begins...

On 7/7/2018 at 9:36 AM, Lilytuft said:

My biggest tribe is at about 40 right now (And I wanted to stay under 20. I'm not very good at keeping the populations down!)

• Haha 1

On 7/8/2018 at 3:07 AM, Dinocanid said:

Anways, I agree that this should have some sort of cost (like the food mentioned above). When you make a large tribe, it's supposed to be challenging to support them all, so it would be kind of OP to be able to send them away without any cost.

Good Idea, I dunno Y I didn't think of that.

On 7/7/2018 at 7:38 PM, BlazingCorvid said:

I think that idea is very interesting and would be a convenient way to get rid of unwanted nichlings. However, it might also be a bit op since the issues that come along with overcrowding are meant to be one of the challenges of expanding your pack. I think there should be a price in food for sending a nichling away since it takes time to find new food on the island. Since you start with 2 nichlings and 20 food, having 10 food per nichling sent away makes sense, though that would be a heavy price, but if you have a useless nichling that would just be a food sink for all its life, that price might be worth it. It would also be cool if, when you send a creature away to an island and then travel to that island later, you could see that nichling there!

I Agree with that, I thought of the Not-being-able to travel Idea  before but I forgot to mention it.

On 7/7/2018 at 8:36 AM, Lilytuft said:

Eeeeyup. Haven't been in the game since before the latest patch (worried my old tribe will have troubles idk yet) so it might be lower, but i was definitely able to sustain a tribe of 200 on the archipelago islands, on a half-jungle half-plains island right now and i think it's somewhere between 150 and 200 ish.