Stray Fawn Community

Night Genes (Dark forest Genes)

jaxpsylla

These genes are what allow nichelings to move, see, and interact at night. Ladies, gentlemen, and everyone in between, let me introduce you, 

Echolocation head

Bat ears

Night-seeing eyes

1258079809_Batears.thumb.png.8e350dac37781db724d5a233c5a7486c.png

These are Bat ears. Bat ears allow a nicheling to hear 4 around them, but give no heat resistance(like bog ears do). theyre about the same size as big ears, and are obtainable after "squealing" 25 times (squealing will be explained in the Echolocation head) mostly cosmetic, but still cool.

452624757_Echolocationhead.thumb.png.39b3560a7e58c0e554ff5e9e857b0b09.png

This is Echolocation head. It looks simialar to a bat's head, and when sitting in a high position (like calling) you can make a squealing noise that allows everything within 3 tiles to become outlined with green, yellow or red (much like smelling/hearing, except it is seen on seeing, so everything around is also in color.) The affect lasts until said nicheling moves from its spot. The nose also has 2 smelling, 1 damage, and distasteful appearance. they are unlocked by squealing 50 times.

367979994_Nightseeingeyes.thumb.png.19b64124d5d0014ff9dde505b05b3ce1.png

These are Night-seeing eyes. They make a nicheling nocturnal, allowing them to move at night. If your tribe doesnt have this gene present, nights pass normally. IF so, the nights stop long enough for a nicheling with these eyes to move normally. (however, you cant move them during the day.) The gene also makes the eyes look a bit demonic, which can be fun if your going from a story perspective. The nichelings also only move during night if banished, and give birth by the time day comes. the eyes give a nicheling 1 normal sight, and 2 night vision. seeing and smelling apply the same at night.

How does the night work?

Any animal that would normally move during the day, would stay still at night. Any animal that would move during the night, move according to your nichelings moves. (example, a bunnil would stay still, while a bearyena would move twice, then sleep.)

hope you like it! incase you couldnt tell, i REALLY WANT A NIGHT MODE!! its been an idea since the water update :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 replies to this post

I really like your idea, but it would make some things more complicated. For example, what determines when carnivores will make their moves? After all, a bearyena has two moves, and your nichlings have three each. So when do they move? The first two moves of the night? Once at dusk and once at dawn? There is no precedant in the game for this. I would almost think that the predators should move like rabbils at night, but that would be hard to deal with. Also, when would diurnal mothers give birth (and nocturnal at that), and same with deaths, sickness, and damage taken from drowning and poison and bleeding? Would, for the diurnal creatures, it happen at dusk, and for the nocturnal ones, at dawn?

On 7/9/2018 at 12:30 AM, BlazingCorvid said:

I really like your idea, but it would make some things more complicated. For example, what determines when carnivores will make their moves? After all, a bearyena has two moves, and your nichlings have three each. So when do they move? The first two moves of the night? Once at dusk and once at dawn? There is no precedant in the game for this. I would almost think that the predators should move like rabbils at night, but that would be hard to deal with. Also, when would diurnal mothers give birth (and nocturnal at that), and same with deaths, sickness, and damage taken from drowning and poison and bleeding? Would, for the diurnal creatures, it happen at dusk, and for the nocturnal ones, at dawn?

the first 2 moves (or one for balance bear) are when the bearyena moves.

any death, birth, damage, whatever for day nichelings happen like they do in the game, and night nichelings give birth, die, take damage, etc happen once day hits. 

its hard to explain, but imagine if day and night were switched in niche and thats how it would work at night.

• Like 1

forgot to mention, Night seeing eyes are obtainable inviting a nicheling with the gene into your tribe. Its more common to find it in an ice block or on whale island (or dark forest) but it is possible to find them anywhere!

I think this is a really cool idea! Just wondering, if your entire tribe has the Night-seeing Eyes, how would the bunnils move during the day? Would they get a certain number of moves? Would they get an equivalent number of moves to the amount of turns you took? Same thing for all diurnal creatures.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leaellynasaura said:

I think this is a really cool idea! Just wondering, if your entire tribe has the Night-seeing Eyes, how would the bunnils move during the day? Would they get a certain number of moves? Would they get an equivalent number of moves to the amount of turns you took? Same thing for all diurnal creatures.

i didnt think about that, i think theyd move based on how many moves you took.

2 hours ago, ChasingNyx said:

Okay, this seems cool, but I'm confused. How does the squealing work? You say it works like calling, so normal nichelings would be able to do it on a stump or something..? I just don't get it.

squealing is like callling, so you can do it on a stump or tree, and it works well if you have little smelling or hearing in the tribe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Finnwinter said:

These genes are what allow nichelings to move, see, and interact at night. Ladies, gentlemen, and everyone in between, let me introduce you, 

Echolocation head

Bat ears

1258079809_Batears.thumb.png.8e350dac37781db724d5a233c5a7486c.png

These are Bat ears. Bat ears allow a nicheling to hear 4 around them, but give no heat resistance(like bog ears do). theyre about the same size as big ears, and are obtainable after "squealing" 25 times (squealing will be explained in the Echolocation head) mostly cosmetic, but still cool.

452624757_Echolocationhead.thumb.png.39b3560a7e58c0e554ff5e9e857b0b09.png

This is Echolocation head. It looks simialar to a bat's head, and when sitting in a high position (like calling) you can make a squealing noise that allows everything within 3 tiles to become outlined with green, yellow or red (much like smelling/hearing, except it is seen on seeing, so everything around is also in color.) The affect lasts until said nicheling moves from its spot. The nose also has 2 smelling, 1 damage, and distasteful appearance. they are unlocked by squealing 50 times.

How does the night work?

Any animal that would normally move during the day, would stay still at night. Any animal that would move during the night, move according to your nichelings moves. (example, a bunnil would stay still, while a bearyena would move twice, then sleep.)

hope you like it! incase you couldnt tell, i REALLY WANT A NIGHT MODE!! its been an idea since the water update :D

The echolocation head should allow nichelings to move as far as they can hear too

• Like 1

These genes are a little close to the originals by themselves. There has been a request for an underground tunnel system, I can see night genes fitting perfectly into that idea. Which and what stats they should have is more complicated. I suppose we'll just have to see.

• Like 2