Stray Fawn Community

unicorn horn

bostonlobstah

I think this has been suggested before but it was in with a bunch of other ideas in one post and I just loved this idea so much and had another idea to maybe improve it :)

So basically it is a horn slot gene of course, probably would be more rare and recessive. It would give +1 or +2 strength, possibly +1 attractiveness and maybe even healing powers? (like purr snout) I understand if people think that it would be too unrealistic and 'magical' for Niche though...

You could unlock it in the menu by inviting a unicorn nicheling into the tribe and then healing (with purr snout or horn) 25 times?

Here was the unicorn idea I found after thinking up my own (I did not take inspiration from this)

https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/index.php?/topic/2280-niche-suggestions/&page=0#comment-7253

edit!

I made a drawing showing the unicorn horn on a pegamercaticorn (Pegasus mermaid cat unicorn) nicheling. My tablet is not working so I am using good old fashioned paper :)

81F51E95-9BDE-4FEC-BA0D-5A8118952096.jpeg

• Like 13

maybe if we say it is supposed to be a narwhal horn instead they would not mind :D

in that case, I think 1 strenght and 1 attractiveness would be enough (though magical healing powers would be cool :D )

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skysplash8 said:

Actually, in real life, a cat's purr can actually help heal wounds. Anyways, I personally think that, well, all the genes in Niche are at least mostly based on real life features of animals. Unicorns aren't real... Now, I would love a Narwhal Horn. Except it's a tooth. So Narwhal Tooth? It could give 2 strength! so drawing this and making a feature request

UUnicorns might not be real, but there are some animals with single horns on their head. A prehistoric genus of rhino, Elasmotherium, had a horn on its forehead. There are also a few artiodactyls, especially goats, that have been seen with horn or antler mutations that resemble the unicorns horn. While the mutations may not be standard in any extant species, they do show that it is more than possible for animals to have single horns or antlers on their forehead 

The first picture is a fossil of an Elasmotherium simum (the type species of the genus). The horn isn't there, but you can see a bump where it would have been just above the eye socket. The next pictures both show an animal with a mutated horn/antler. The first is a bull that was found in Brazil, the second is a young roe deer buck from Italy. You can also find a good few photos of goats with one horn on google

Elasmotherium_caucasicum.jpg

2EF57EEF00000578-0-image-a-23_1448979802749.jpg

article-0-0191269800000578-131_468x611.jpg

• Like 6

Asides from possibly being magical, I don't see anything unrealistic about it. As @heyitsgeorgie said, we already have the purr snout which can heal nicheings, so why not? I would only give it 1 strength though, theres no reason for it to be stronger than other horns or antlers, and if it's also going to have magical powers as well that's maybe a bit overpowered. I also wouldn't add attractiveness. While humans might think it's awesome because who doesn't love unicorns, it wouldn't really be any more attractive than other horns or antlers to nichelings 

Edited by BirdsAreCool
also nice drawing
  • Like 2

On 12/28/2018 at 9:41 PM, BirdsAreCool said:

Asides from possibly being magical, I don't see anything unrealistic about it. As @heyitsgeorgie said, we already have the purr snout which can heal nicheings, so why not? I would only give it 1 strength though, theres no reason for it to be stronger than other horns or antlers, and if it's also going to have magical powers as well that's maybe a bit overpowered. I also wouldn't add attractiveness. While humans might think it's awesome because who doesn't love unicorns, it wouldn't really be any more attractive than other horns or antlers to nichelings  

as Skysplash said, purring actually can help heal wounds (and even some illnesses to a certain degree) and I don't see any way a horn (or tooth that sticks out like a horn) would help for healing
but I would add attractiveness because while noone is really sure why Narwhals have these horns (or teeth to be precise) it is speculated that they might play a role in attracting and impressing females.

If it's not base of narwhals and rather the interesting one horn mutation you gave pictures to, then it would obviusly make no sense though

I also agree that 1 strengh is enough for it either way

• Like 1

On Tuesday, February 05, 2019 at 8:48 PM, Sheireen said:

as Skysplash said, purring actually can help heal wounds (and even some illnesses to a certain degree) and I don't see any way a horn (or tooth that sticks out like a horn) would help for healing
but I would add attractiveness because while noone is really sure why Narwhals have these horns (or teeth to be precise) it is speculated that they might play a role in attracting and impressing females.

If it's not base of narwhals and rather the interesting one horn mutation you gave pictures to, then it would obviusly make no sense though

I also agree that 1 strengh is enough for it either way

Deer and antelope also use their antlers/horns to attract mates, but none of the horns we already have in game add attractiveness. it wouldn't really make sense for this horn to add attractiveness and not the others

TThe whole thing about cats purring helping to heaI is hypothetical and in my opinion sounds like nonsense. The purr snout takes off days of damage while a cats purr (if it really does help healing) would have quite a small impact, so I would definitely say the purr snouts healing ability is magical

for me, 1 strength would be enough for the stats. It would be no more attractive to a nicheling than any other horns/antlers, and magical powers seems a bit silly. At least the purr snout is based on something, even if that something is questionable 

• Like 2

Guest SilverTheNicheling
1 minute ago, Skysplash8 said:

I'm probably the only one downvoting this because I don't want a magical non realistic horn in the game...

Erm.. well.. it doesn’t have to be magical.. it may just not have to have any magical abilities like healing, it’ll just be a normal horn with 1+ strength like the others.

3 hours ago, Skysplash8 said:

I'm probably the only one downvoting this because I don't want a magical non realistic horn in the game...

It could be a narwhal horn instead? Without magic?

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

45 minutes ago, heyitsgeorgie said:

Honestly I don't see why this shouldn't exist if the purr snout exists. Magical cats that can heal creatures by purring? Realistic. Unicorns that actually are based around being magical? Way too unrealistic. 

No offence to the people that want things 100% realistic, I just found it funny

Actually, in real life, a cat's purr can actually help heal wounds. Anyways, I personally think that, well, all the genes in Niche are at least mostly based on real life features of animals. Unicorns aren't real... Now, I would love a Narwhal Horn. Except it's a tooth. So Narwhal Tooth? It could give 2 strength! so drawing this and making a feature request

• Like 3

Now that I think about it, I made this suggestion before I got Niche so I didn't understand the stats too well (and not the genes either. In my drawing the wings have paws on them!?)

But yes I think +1 strength and +1 healing would be enough. :)

Thanks for the support! ^^

• Like 1

Just now, magnolia said:

Well there isn't a voting going on now, but someday....

Oof.. I haven’t been around long enough to be part of a voting but I can’t wait to participate in one ^^ and it would be really cool to have little unicorns in the game ^^

Guest SilverTheNicheling
1 minute ago, magnolia said:

Well there isn't a voting going on now, but someday....

THIS NEEDS TO BE IN THE GAME!!!

Seriously though.. there needs to be more horn gene variety...

Just now, Springolingo said:

It could be a narwhal horn instead? Without magic?

The unicorn of the sea! Ok that’s not helping your point.. sorry!

• Like 2