Stray Fawn Community

[CLOSED] Win a Nimbatus Closed Alpha Steam key! - LOGIC competition

Philo

Here's the 6th GIF competition!
This time, it's a LOGIC this round :)

The best two designs win a Steam key for the Closed Alpha of Nimbatus.
Deadline to enter is Wednesday, 1st of August. (Winners will be announced shortly after).

Here are the rules:

• Post your design here in this thread. Multiple entries per person are allowed. Old non-winning GIFs are allowed as well.
  • Only drones recorded made with the demo version are allowed in this competition.
  • Please only post designs here if you participate in the contest. If not participating, please use  this thread  instead.
  • @Roger, @Markus, @Micha and @Philo will pick 2 favorites.
  • There will be only awarded one key per person. If you won in a previous contest, we won't award you another key.

Please note:
You can use [F9] to generate an animated GIF of the last 6 seconds gameplay, but feel free to use other tools.

This time, the best ideas/constructions win!
The GIF itself is not super important. Just make sure we all understand why your design is smart/interesting/new/cool/...
You can also upload your drone here if you like!

We maybe show some of these cool gifs on Twitter, Reddit, etc. Please only post here if that's ok with you.

Tipp 1: The GIF capture tool hides bad framerates. If you turn off the Bloom because of performance reasons, turn them on before recording the GIF. The game might have a low frame rate, but the resulting GIF should run smoothly and might result in nicer looking GIF because of the effects.

Tipp 2: If you press F9, please wait until the "Generate GIF" message disappears, otherwise your recorded GIFs might get corrupted. Press F9 and wait, and then it should result in a 6 seconds long GIF. 

• Like 5

• Philo pinned this topic

@cade I know what you mean :) We're having this issue on our radar. The alpha has the possibility to use Tags in addition to key inputs, so this helps to circumvent one problem. But we also want that you can easily make big logic constructions without needing needless parts :/ On the other hand, if a beginner comes and sees 10 input and output field, he's totally overwhelmed :/ But we could provide additional input an output fields with a toggle similar to what we did with enabling/disabling Tags.

Good luck to you all :) It's all about logic! Make awesome Constructios with logic and sensor parts!

one way i saw someone wanting to implement it would be adding a + icon for more fields. so if you want one more output you click + once. if you want 10 more outputs you click it 10 times. that would be cool

• Like 2

Good suggestion, thx! I'll forward it to @Micha, because that has implications on how drones are saved and that is what he's currently working on. Looking forward to more logic-creations from you :) I'm sorry that it's so cumbersome in the demo-version ^^'

(Out of competition)
Yet it is pretty buggy, OmegaRouge prolly gonna make a mod that is gonna shorten time of making those from 2.5h (plus 3.5 hours due to 3 crashed and starting from beggining) to 20 mins
also would like to see dynamic buffers (Like dynamic thrusters, but changing buffering time)

snek.nimbatusdrone

Edited by OmegaDeltaZero
Added drone file
  • Like 5

@Micha yes it is, but without it, it wouldnt really work, I could do more complicated stuff on smaller display, cuz amount of gates is (display tiles*6)+12
just 320 of those are just to define where the snake's head moves, 64 is display, and 12 is direction changing and gameclock.
very useful would be multiple toggle, that have for example 4 inputs and 4 outputs, and...
well, 1 output if assigned to 1 input, and only 1 output can be active at once, 
W -tag1
A - tag2
S - tag3
D - kebap
The output active is output assigned to last input received, that is basically what the 12-gates part do, but due to that, the gates need fractions of time to send outputs, in the fractions of seconds snake gets second head... only REAL issue rn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is "Fast flee". It turns from a howercraft in to a mouse controled drone. I am very proud how it turned out.

Nimbatus_GIF_201807251739239889.gif.910cb4f61c299af1fd370194dce80072.gif

Here it looks like a howercraft and it controls like a howercraft.

Nimbatus_GIF_201807251742112822.gif.e6f3991273e4799a316db846727866a2.gif

Here i turn off the part that makes the howercraft float and using space key it detaches from it and becomes a mouse controled drone.

Nimbatus_GIF_201807251743052780.gif.7efb1ad8eacde0b1bdbb35617e7da8f5.gif

And after flying in the mouse control mode with space it returns in to the howercraft mode and when it goes in to the hower thing you turn on the magnet and it is a normal howercraft again. It can turn in to the mouse controled mode and back forever.

Most of the logic gates switch betwene the two direction sensors. I am not very good with logic gates so it took me lot of time to make. (sorry for bad grammar, my home language is not english thanks for understanding)

• Like 3

Hey People Behind Nimbatus lol Here's It, it took me a long time because i forgot the Ctrl c and v so it took me an hour to make this ;-; but here's my thing I guess?  Also I will be fishing on Wednesday so if i win i may not be at my computer  p.s. sorry if is not Logic enough But here it is

❤️

• Like 3

Hey! I made a smart self targeted turret with the current part that I have, it will spin around until it sees something then it will proceed to track it and try to kill it, if I had the option to change the speed of the rotor it would probably run much smother and not bounce around a lot, this was an old design I made but I thought it would fit in this kind of contest!

Nimbatus_GIF_201807311705373842.gif

Nimbatus_GIF_201807311707096182.gif

• Like 2

@vladchima556 can you make a GIF from your design and upload it here? You can use the F9 key in the demo and it should create a GIF in the folder near the Nimbatus.exe. See the first post with a more detailed explanation. You need to upload a GIF to enter the contest :) Sounds good what you described :) 

1 minute ago, Markus said:

@vladchima556 can you make a GIF from your design and upload it here? You can use the F9 key in the demo and it should create a GIF in the folder near the Nimbatus.exe. See the first post with a more detailed explanation. You need to upload a GIF to enter the contest :) Sounds good what you described :) 

I have made a couple gifs but I cant seem to find them, can you somehow direct me to the folder?

Sure :) So in the folder where the Nimbatus.exe is, there should be a newly created folder called "Nimbatus_Screenshots". If everything worked you should find some GIFs in there.

There's a bug in the game. When you repeatedly press F9 and don't wait until the gif is saved, the gif gets corrupted. So if your GIF is not 6 seconds long, you maybe have to redo them. I hope everything works and I'm looking forward to your creations :) 

6 minutes ago, Markus said:

Sure :) So in the folder where the Nimbatus.exe is, there should be a newly created folder called "Nimbatus_Screenshots". If everything worked you should find some GIFs in there.

There's a bug in the game. When you repeatedly press F9 and don't wait until the gif is saved, the gif gets corrupted. So if your GIF is not 6 seconds long, you maybe have to redo them. I hope everything works and I'm looking forward to your creations :) 

yeah the folder isn't popping up, could you recommend any other ways for me to make a gif?

Hmm, when are you pressing F9? Are you doing that in the Simulation or in the Game? If you are using a Notebook, maybe try to press FN+F9, because F9 is maybe not directly accessible. Are you sure you are in the right Folder? Can you make a screenshot? Maybe @Micha has an idea what else could go wrong. On which platform are you?

If you don't use the included version, then there's no easy or fast way, unfortunately. A few possibilities:

- Use Nvidia Shadowplay (if you have a Nvidia Graphicscard) to record gameplay (or other screencapture tool) and then cut it/use ezgif to compress it.

- Go to window-mode in Nimbatus and use a free GIF tool like LICECap and make a Gif with that ( https://www.cockos.com/licecap/ ).

3 minutes ago, Markus said:

Hmm, when are you pressing F9? Are you doing that in the Simulation or in the Game? If you are using a Notebook, maybe try to press FN+F9, because F9 is maybe not directly accessible. Are you sure you are in the right Folder? Can you make a screenshot? Maybe @Micha has an idea what else could go wrong. On which platform are you?

If you don't use the included version, then there's no easy or fast way, unfortunately. A few possibilities:

- Use Nvidia Shadowplay (if you have a Nvidia Graphicscard) to record gameplay (or other screencapture tool) and then cut it/use ezgif to compress it.

- Go to window-mode in Nimbatus and use a free GIF tool like LICECap and make a Gif with that ( https://www.cockos.com/licecap/ ).

I am using windows 10, I have an amd card not nvidia, and what do you mean by included version?

Sorry for being confusing :) I meant that the easiest way to make a GIF is by using the F9-way (the way to make GIFs we included in Nimbatus). Otherwise you have to use external tools.

Are you using a Notebook?

1 minute ago, Markus said:

Sorry for being confusing :) I meant that the easiest way to make a GIF is by using the F9-way (the way to make GIFs we included in Nimbatus). Otherwise you have to use external tools.

Are you using a Notebook?

no im not using a notebook

Hmm, this is really strange. I'm not familiar with all the technical details, so @Micha can maybe help more.

- Can you try to make a screenshot via F8 and check if a folder appears? Maybe only making GIFs doesn't work.

- Can you search your hard drive for the folder "Nimbatus_Screenshots", maybe the folder is put somewhere else?

That's the only ideas I have on top of my mind. Let's go from there :) 

Hello everyone!

Thank you all for participating in this round. 
Let's announce the winners!

@Zlobisak
For this design that can easily switch between being a howercraft a mouse-controlled drone.
Nimbatus_GIF_201807251743052780.gif.7efb1ad8eacde0b1bdbb35617e7da8f5.gif.14e44ff19acbdcbc219321eb7d992a90.gif

@vladchima556
For this smart ,self-targeted turret
Nimbatus_GIF_201807311705373842.gif.d12e1fc1d14dd1919bf6a02d45383994.gif.a1c96852edd1c3070617fcc91503bc4c.gif

Congrats ^^
I'll send over your Steam keys via PM!

• Like 2

• Markus unpinned this topic
  • Markus locked this topic