Stray Fawn Community

Ants!

ChickenBatnana

Niche has a lot of food sources as it is, but it is still missing insects for food! So, I present to you, the ant hill.

-The Ant Hill-

Zwsd4ks.png

The ant hill is much like a rock. It stays on a tile and you can't stand on it. It can be destroyed by creatures with a digging claw, who can tear up the entire thing. In itself, the ant hill does not do that much. However, it has another feature:

-The Ant Trail-

The ant trail is gonna be the most in-depth idea of this 3 part suggestion. It'll spawn from the ant hill. Every day, it expands 2 tiles. Where to? To the most nearby berry bush! When it reaches the berry bush, it'll stop expanding for 3 days. After these 3 days, the trail will continue, until it finds every berry bush on the island. You might be asking; 'But what's the point of this? What effect will this have?' Now, when the berry bush is under 'control' of the ants, it'll produce fewer berries when you skip a turn. So on a normal weather day, it'll only generate 1 berry instead of the usual 2. When it rains, it'll only generate half of the berries it normally would with a full regrowth.

This means that if you leave an ant hill untreated, it'll 'control' every berry bush on your island, depriving your nichelings of food.

Of course, there is a way to counter the ants. Standing on the trail, you can stomp the ants, removing the trail from that tile. Keep in mind that the trail expands 2 tiles per day, so your nichelings will be losing at least 2 turns per day keeping the ants in the hill. It isn't ideal, but with 1 creature you can control the ants at their base using this method. Of course, just destroying the ant hill would be the best.

Or maybe not!

-The Pangolin Snout-

VTzsCi1.png

excuse the bad drawing

The pangolin snout would add a scaly snout with a long, thin tongue. It is the absolute best way to not only eat the ants, but to form a monopoly over them. The pangolin snout adds the ability to eat ants from their trails, but you have to approach it tactically. Eating ants would give you 2 food points. It removes the trail from the tile, but unlike stomping the ants you wouldn't have to stand on the trail to eat them. You could also stand next to it, like with digging roots. This way you can easily control the trail while getting 4 food per turn. but if you have multiple nichelings with the snout, you could do more.

Take this; an island with 5 berry bushes and an ant hill. The ants go to the first one, then the second, then the third, fourth, and fifth. Your nichelings just watched the ants take all the berry bushes on the island. But here comes the pangolin snout. 5 pangolin nichelings go to the berry bush. They all cut off the end of the trail to their berry bush, giving them 20 food points. Then they harvest the berries with their 1 move left. Because the ants don't reach the berry bush in the night, it regens 2 berries as usual. Per turn, this gives you 30 food points per turn with 5 nichelings and 5 berry bushes.

-The End-

So, I hope you all like this idea! Feel free to expand on it in the comments or any problems you have with it! Thank for reading.

• Like 3

5 replies to this post

1 hour ago, Lilytuft said:

I love this idea! The snout is so cute. Maybe ants don't spawn on easy or cold islands? They're nice, but I don't want my whole gameplay to be controlled by them :)

Yes, they would only spawn on certain islands of course. They'd be relatively rare, and maybe if they prove too difficult they could also be destroyed by a high enough strength?

• Like 2

I love this idea! The snout is so cute. Maybe ants don't spawn on easy or cold islands? They're nice, but I don't want my whole gameplay to be controlled by them :)

• Like 1