Stray Fawn Community

Hetechromia - How it would work?

ChasingNyx

So all credit to @Niche fan for suggesting this! But they never explained how it would work in game, so I'm suggesting how it will work! So, I'm doing this because I noticed it was in the second community voting of the top 20 most voted. So, here we go! 
List of all heterochromia I have seen in cats in pictures:
Yellow-Blue
Blue-Orange
Blue-Green
Green-Blue
Brown-Blue 
Of course we can make other color combinations, but yup.
So I'll use Brown-Blue as my example. 
image.png.f52701d5a5dbd0d88ac5dacb3be4fd63.png
The left side would be brown because the left eye would be brown and the right side blue because the right eye would be blue. This could be something from wanderers that you can unlock if you invite them to your tribe, like a rare cosmetic unlockable? Or it could be like albinism and melanism and not be in the mutation menu. But it'd be very hard to get in your genes and all other eye colors would trump heterochromia because its so rare. Yeah thats it, admins feel free to move this somewhere else if it should be!
(Link to original idea)
https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/index.php?/topic/638-2-different-eye-colors/

• Like 4

That’s an interesting take on the idea! I always thought of heterochromia being a separate gene with three alleles: normal eye color, dominant heterochromia, and recessive heterochromia. Normal eye color would be the most dominant but the other two would only be found through wanderers and aren’t in the mutation menu. Dominant heterochromia differs from recessive heterochromia by having the dominant eye color on the right rather on the left (just to have different variants). I also talked about it here as well: https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/index.php?/topic/2444-advanced-eye-color/#comment-8834

• Like 1

That makes sense I suppose. But I just thought of a simple-ish explanation because I don't really wanna stress the devs with an even more complicated gene system for eyes too? But if they wanna make it that complicated, they can. Or maybe we could put that experimental mutation system they were working on earlier in use for this, and have it be just a tiny chance of it mutating if the parents have some different eye colors, dominant or recessive. shrug

• Like 1

Thanks for the shout out but I only mentioned it again because Philo liked the idea a long time ago. My take on it is the eyes would have been a sign of distemper / anger but that is more of a myth. They could get the "crazy eye" from a bearhyena or rouge and you wouldn't want that gene because the niche would scoot away out of position like it's half wild. Like a wolf & dog mix.

The movement and everything is a lot of extra work so glad they still went with the eyes.

On 8/3/2018 at 7:10 PM, Niche fan said:

Thanks for the shout out but I only mentioned it again because Philo liked the idea a long time ago. My take on it is the eyes would have been a sign of distemper / anger but that is more of a myth. They could get the "crazy eye" from a bearhyena or rouge and you wouldn't want that gene because the niche would scoot away out of position like it's half wild. Like a wolf & dog mix.

The movement and everything is a lot of extra work so glad they still went with the eyes.

Ah, well. This explains too much, my life has been a lie to this day. I too am crazy eyed and my father was bear(yena).

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I would think that heterochromia would be like albinism and melanism.
There would be a gene to have it or not have it.
You need to have both genes in order to make heterochromia appear.
After you have both genes, instead of turning your niche white or black it changes the eye colors.
The eye colors depend on what 2 eye color genes you already have.

• Like 3