Stray Fawn Community

Tribe size limit stuff ​🐾

Lilytuft

You could set yourself a tribe size limit, that you could change during game (if you watch Niche: Whims of fate, you know why this is needed). When your tribe is full, you can't invite wanderers. You can have your nichelings mate, but no babies will be born before there's room in the tribe. If you have multiple females on nest, but not enough room in the tribe for all of the babies, the females with he highest rank will give birth first. If you have too many females of the highest rank, the oldest ones give birth first. You can't set the tribe limit smaller than your tribe is. You'll need to get rid of your extra creatures before making the limit smaller.

• Like 8

A slightly changed version of this will be added in the upcoming update :)
You can set a maximum tribe limit at the start and change it with the console.
If you reach the maximum tribe size, your animals will refuse to mate (because they feel uncomfortable with their tribe size).

• Like 5

@RandomWanderer maybe when you start the game you can just pick if you want the ability to change it or not. that way you can have that game mode that stops you from cheating and if someone wants to change it in game they can do that. these sandbox options are all about customizing things so why not have both.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Philo said:

If you reach the maximum tribe size, your animals will refuse to mate (because they feel uncomfortable with their tribe size).

What if you already have pregnant creatures? Will they give birth even though their babies would put them over the limit?

• Like 2

I wonder how they would implement it. Can the limit be bound to a creature without trouble? Or would it change every 20 days?

I'd like the 20 days option, but is it a gameplay mode when the player just rolls a dice for themselves? Would the game do it? Is is worth programming that to the devs., I think Philo did once say that random generators would be left to the players to implement. 

Your ideas?

@Skysplash8

There is little use in having a number that can be changed at any point. Logically, that translates to -- the player can't change it at every whim. Which means when the change has to be bound to an event. E.g a specific creature passing away (Whims of Fate), or an amount of time passing. 

In other words, I am asking for the concrete, as just putting a number in somewhere doesn't add value to the game. Especially combined with the reference to Whims of Fate, I don't think the idea was meant that way, as Whims of Fate follows specific rules.

@RandomWanderer First of all, for the @(name) thing to work, you have to select the name from the list that appears when you type the name.  If you did it right, the name should have a green box around it. Second. I would still want an in-game tribe limit that you can change any time, because if you want to have a specific limit as, let's say, 14, you could put in 14 and the game wouldn't let accidentally have more than 14 creatures at a time. I have a tribe of 40 something and I wish I kept it under 30. If I had this tribe limit on, then the game would have stopped me from getting more than 30 creatures. And, if I suddenly want to have 35, I could change it to 35, whenever I want to. It doesn't need to be tied to an event. It would be something that the player can choose to turn off or on or change the value of whenever they want, whether that be because of a rule in a challenge, or because they just want to make sure they don't get a big tribe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skysplash8 said:

@RandomWanderer First of all, for the @(name) thing to work, you have to select the name from the list that appears when you type the name.  If you did it right, the name should have a green box around it. Second. I would still want an in-game tribe limit that you can change any time, because if you want to have a specific limit as, let's say, 14, you could put in 14 and the game wouldn't let accidentally have more than 14 creatures at a time. I have a tribe of 40 something and I wish I kept it under 30. If I had this tribe limit on, then the game would have stopped me from getting more than 30 creatures. And, if I suddenly want to have 35, I could change it to 35, whenever I want to. It doesn't need to be tied to an event. It would be something that the player can choose to turn off or on or change the value of whenever they want, whether that be because of a rule in a challenge, or because they just want to make sure they don't get a big tribe.

This is neither my problem, nor opinion, or even idea. 

According to the devs, why add certain gameplay options? To prevent cheating.

What does an essential option that is free to be edited at any time take away? 

See, that's the issue. I am just looking for ideas that confirm to the set goals, as chance is, if they don't, they won't be implemented that way. They're not my own standard, though. 

I have never had an issue with sticking to a specific tribe size. What might be important for your argument would be to figure out how many people have an issue with it and how many don't.

Without knowing that, one can't know the worth of an idea as defined by input. vs. output.

You might argue it is worth it. Someone might say it is not. Both opinions are equally unbased without evidence.

It's not me you'll have to sell that idea to, as it isn't a problem I know of. I'd just like the options of set tribe limits in addition, as I deem them more important for a gameplay mode, but you seem to want a mechanic. These are seperate issues and hence shouldn't get in the way of each other, though I won't support it. 

On 8/5/2018 at 10:04 PM, Skysplash8 said:

@RandomWanderer I think what Lilytuft means is that you would just put in a number and you wouldn't be able to have more creatures than that. The player would be able to choose what number to put in. Right, @Lilytuft?

Yes!

On 8/6/2018 at 3:11 PM, RandomWanderer said:

@Skysplash8

There is little use in having a number that can be changed at any point. Logically, that translates to -- the player can't change it at every whim. Which means when the change has to be bound to an event. E.g a specific creature passing away (Whims of Fate), or an amount of time passing.  

In other words, I am asking for the concrete, as just putting a number in somewhere doesn't add value to the game. Especially combined with the reference to Whims of Fate, I don't think the idea was meant that way, as Whims of Fate follows specific rules.

What if you have a challenge tribe with a set tribe size, and after the challenge is done, you want to continue with that tribe?

6 hours ago, Lilytuft said:

What if you have a challenge tribe with a set tribe size, and after the challenge is done, you want to continue with that tribe?

That is a very interesting point. Could you start another challenge? Would you be launched into "normal" game mode? Would you be stuck with the old conditions? Can you choose? 

You should really make a suggestion about that. It's about what choices in sandbox mode would be the most important at the moment, after all. Or ask Philo. That would be good to know, even if it gets improved by the voting after this one.

twins might be a bit of a problem. if you have a limit of 15 and there are currently 14 in your tribe but one of your nichelings is about to give birth. will it stop them from giving birth in case of twins? will it force it to be a single birth even if it would be twins? would it let you go to 16 if you get twins? will it automatically banish one of your other nichelings if twins are born? will it force you to chose a nicheling to release before you can do anything else?

and similarly what if you had two pregnant females who are about to give birth but you can only have one more nicheling? will it randomly pick one to give birth? will it do one of the things mentioned for twins?

have i used to many question marks XD? srsly tho tell me how you think this should work if this is added.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DogCatCowPig said:

twins might be a bit of a problem. if you have a limit of 15 and there are currently 14 in your tribe but one of your nichelings is about to give birth. will it stop them from giving birth in case of twins? will it force it to be a single birth even if it would be twins? would it let you go to 16 if you get twins? will it automatically banish one of your other nichelings if twins are born? will it force you to chose a nicheling to release before you can do anything else?

and similarly what if you had two pregnant females who are about to give birth but you can only have one more nicheling? will it randomly pick one to give birth? will it do one of the things mentioned for twins?

have i used to many question marks XD? srsly tho tell me how you think this should work if this is added.

That’s something I’ve never actually considered before. This may not be my post but it’s something I’ve thought about. I think that if these situations occur, you should be forced to remove the amount of creatures you are over. A screen would pop up and tell you need to remove X amount of creatures anc you would select that many to banish.

11 hours ago, DogCatCowPig said:

I think only one baby would be born. The female to give birth would be chosen by rank. If they have the same rank then randomly.

11 minutes ago, Philo said:

@Skysplash8
Ah just notices that pregnant animals count double!
So if you have 3 animals and 2 are pregnant, the tribe size limit of 5 is reached.

what about the chance of twins? you know if 2 females sit on a nest and the next day both give birth what happens if one or both give birth to twins?

also does that mean that rogues can't mate with your creatures if the limit is reached?

36 minutes ago, Snowy Owl said:

what about the chance of twins? you know if 2 females sit on a nest and the next day both give birth what happens if one or both give birth to twins?

also does that mean that rogues can't mate with your creatures if the limit is reached?

Not allowing twin birth might be easier, but rogues have me confused aswell. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Philo said:

I wish I could use the deviantart :happybounce emoji now!

• Like 1