Stray Fawn Community

New Body: Small Body

Dazenith

So we have a variety of bodies and some which are of different sizes but there are none that are explicity small.
So introducing the Small Body type,

It would have the following stats:
+1 Speed
+1 Flying (only if it has wings)
+3 Stealth
+2 Scentless
+3 Heat Resistance
-1 Cold Resistance
+1 Camoflague

This body could be useful in making some sneaky small critters that avoid conflict.
The additional heat resistance for being small would be useful in very hot maps like Deserts.
Because the small body would be light it gives a boost to flying if it has wings.
Since however they have smaller limbs they do not gain any additional speed over the medium body.
Lastly being able to make a cute small Nicheling seems rather fun to do.

Edit: Old stats were not distinct enough and the other bonuses were not favoured much so I lowered Scentless and added Camoflague because it being small would make it harder to see.

Let me know what you think.

Old stats for reference:

It would have the following stats:
+1 Speed
+1 Flying (only if it has wings)
+3 Stealth
+3 Scentless
+3 Heat Resistance
-1 Cold Resistance

Other bonuses:
+1 Gathering
+1/2 Fertility
These bonuses would be in place of the higher Scentless or Heat Resistance making this body type more unique.
A smaller body might be more nimble in trying to gather from bushes.
Smaller animals generally have larger litters of babies thus an increase to fertility.

• Like 1

7 replies to this post

lean body used to be called small body and covers all the main points already, I don't see the point for an other body type that does the same

a difference would be it has more speed, but the "smaller limbs" don't slow any animals down. have you ever seen a mouse  run? they are fast! smaller limbs= quicker leg movement, so it is just lean body

to the point's that are not covered by lean body :
how would being small help to gather more food?  a lot of small animals coincidently gather more (compared to their body weight) but they also have to eat a lot more so in the end no difference and the quick gathering is not really linked to the size
how would being small hep the fertility? you are probably thinking of bunnys and the like for this, but their fertility has nothing to do with size. rather think about dogs, do chiwawas have a higher fertility than ridgebacks? I am actually not sure but I don't think so

to the flying: yeah of course lean body should give +1flying to winged ones, it would only be fair since big body gives -1

• Like 2

I’ve actually made a small body gene before for my more hybrids suggestion and these are the stats:

+1 heat resistance, +2 camo in tall grass, +1 stealth, +2 speed, can be picked up by birds as a teenager (adult size is equivalent to the size of a big bodied teenager)

I thought of it as a fluffier body since this was for the rabbil hybrids. I also like the idea of +1 flying with wings too. I also agree with the other posts on the other bonuses and don’t think they’re necessary.

1 hour ago, Sheireen said:

lean body used to be called small body and covers all the main points already, I don't see the point for an other body type that does the same

a difference would be it has more speed, but the "smaller limbs" don't slow any animals down. have you ever seen a mouse  run? they are fast! smaller limbs= quicker leg movement, so it is just lean body

to the point's that are not covered by lean body :
how would being small help to gather more food?  a lot of small animals coincidently gather more (compared to their body weight) but they also have to eat a lot more so in the end no difference and the quick gathering is not really linked to the size
how would being small hep the fertility? you are probably thinking of bunnys and the like for this, but their fertility has nothing to do with size. rather think about dogs, do chiwawas have a higher fertility than ridgebacks? I am actually not sure but I don't think so

to the flying: yeah of course lean body should give +1flying to winged ones, it would only be fair since big body gives -1

Longer limbs is a larger stride. Yes smaller bodies have less mass to move but if their limbs can only cover half the distance per stride they'd have to make two strides in the same time as the larger body. This can become really inefficient. That's why they only get +1 Speed. This is the difference between let's say a Beagle or a Chihuahua (small bodies if a bit smaller than my intended size) and a Greyhound (lean body and fastest dog breed) and a German Shepherd (medium body). I can also use wild cats for an example lynx and caracal (small body), cheetah (lean body and fastest land animal) and cougars and leopards (medium body)

Most small animals have far larger litter sizes than bigger animals.
There are a few reasons for this but one could be said that smaller animals need larger packs to make up for the fact that they get preyed on. The other is the fact that a smaller body is quicker to develop and requires fewer resources to do so.
Only the smallest animals can have hundreds of young at a time. Spiders and Small Fish
And as you get to the larger end having more than one baby is uncommon to very rare. Elephants, Rhinos, Bears.

Small animals do not eat a "lot" more. They do in fact eat less. However they do not eat proportionally less because they have a higher metabolic rate to keep up their internal temperatures. However this game doesn't take into account size and metabolic rate and such for how much each creature eats. And with regards to Gathering the same could be said of the Bird Beak how does it offer any advantage in gathering over any other kind of mouth?

Anywho. I kept those as alternatives as they could make for more interesting and specialized creatures.
At the very least I'd like to see a small body body added because why not?

We have both Antlers and Ram horns that are no different in terms of gameplay.
We have both medium ears and round ears that both offer +3 hearing and no differences.
Then of course there are the myriad of coat options and patterns. (Which some do have effects but by large don't)

• Like 1