Stray Fawn Community

My first ever tribe!! Yay!

bostonlobstah

Hi guys,

I started my very first Niche adventure just today. It was an awesome experience! Thanks to @Jojo (and @Philo too!) for giving me the chance to enjoy this game :)

I was overjoyed to see when I loaded in on tiny green that my starter female had brown eyes, swimming tail, white antlers and purr snout! (Yes, I started in Sandbox. Is that a sin?) she also however had double digging claws. She was a dark red color so I named her ruby :)

The male, tadukku, was pink with blue eyes and cracker jaw, one velvet paw and one claw. I would have renamed him but I kind of forgot to lol. I used to not like cracker jaw as much but it’s growing on me. Just look at Tadukku’s big goofy smile! :) 

here they are! So cute!

E74672F6-7E9A-4C28-9EFA-70465EC67FD3.thumb.jpeg.528839521a0d6f91beb65263002c0132.jpeg

I was pretty lucky because on day six, a bearyena and her cub spawned. I easily killed the bearyena and Ruby was able to heal all the damage her mate took. We have several bearyena hybrids in our tribe now :)

here is one of my favorite Nichelings so far, Grey, daughter of the starters. I love her grey fur and horns and striking blue eyes. She is so pretty ❤️ Her siblings are named Rei, Garnet, Silk,  and Dust. 

99A9F191-4EF6-47D9-A248-D823AAD4E309.thumb.jpeg.b5747718b14f6e71a1fa06ec5d501aa4.jpeg

Here is my favorite boy so far. I named him Thunder after taking the screenshot. My first antennae and also first purr snout besides Ruby! He also has those gorgeous eyes again, as well as a bearyena claw and regular claw. 9128EA93-89F8-412E-BA59-0114FEDC962F.thumb.jpeg.4f1e62178de148b800f17a17e340f273.jpeg

And then...my first twins! And they were copy paste! I named them Cloud and Sky :) They also have pretty blue eyes, bearyena claw and nimble fingers ❤️

04D27F31-5CD8-4C71-A07E-B7B2BECDDC0F.thumb.jpeg.20238ac3710c137453129a4d1cbc598a.jpeg

If anyone has any wisdom or tips they would like to share with me, I would really appreciate it! Thank you ❤️

• Like 3

On 8/10/2018 at 5:16 AM, bostonlobstah said:

Hi guys,

I started my very first Niche adventure just today. It was an awesome experience! Thanks to @Jojo (and @Philo too!) for giving me the chance to enjoy this game :)

I was overjoyed to see when I loaded in on tiny green that my starter female had brown eyes, swimming tail, white antlers and purr snout! (Yes, I started in Sandbox. Is that a sin?) she also however had double digging claws. She was a dark red color so I named her ruby :)

The male, tadukku, was pink with blue eyes and cracker jaw, one velvet paw and one claw. I would have renamed him but I kind of forgot to lol. I used to not like cracker jaw as much but it’s growing on me. Just look at Tadukku’s big goofy smile! :) 

here they are! So cute!

E74672F6-7E9A-4C28-9EFA-70465EC67FD3.thumb.jpeg.528839521a0d6f91beb65263002c0132.jpeg

I was pretty lucky because on day six, a bearyena and her cub spawned. I easily killed the bearyena and Ruby was able to heal all the damage her mate took. We have several bearyena hybrids in our tribe now :)

here is one of my favorite Nichelings so far, Grey, daughter of the starters. I love her grey fur and horns and striking blue eyes. She is so pretty ❤️ Her siblings are named Rei, Garnet, Silk,  and Dust. 

99A9F191-4EF6-47D9-A248-D823AAD4E309.thumb.jpeg.b5747718b14f6e71a1fa06ec5d501aa4.jpeg

Here is my favorite boy so far. I named him Thunder after taking the screenshot. My first antennae and also first purr snout besides Ruby! He also has those gorgeous eyes again, as well as a bearyena claw and regular claw. 9128EA93-89F8-412E-BA59-0114FEDC962F.thumb.jpeg.4f1e62178de148b800f17a17e340f273.jpeg

And then...my first twins! And they were copy paste! I named them Cloud and Sky :) They also have pretty blue eyes, bearyena claw and nimble fingers ❤️

04D27F31-5CD8-4C71-A07E-B7B2BECDDC0F.thumb.jpeg.20238ac3710c137453129a4d1cbc598a.jpeg

If anyone has any wisdom or tips they would like to share with me, I would really appreciate it! Thank you ❤️

You have 15 food and quite a few creatures that can't pick berries... Eyesight might be nice on the starters, but on a case such as ruby's, running legs might be better for mutation. 

Your island is too small for so many creatures. I like to determine "the size" by berry bushes:nichelings. Generally, don't start on the smaller green islands. Moving costs food and they are all on the same difficulty level. More Bearyenas make good food with a few claws.

Unlocking bearyena genes is 250% faster when you bred a half bearyena nicheling with the father. Giving the female horns is quite futile, so I tend to give her the running leg, aswell. Her children (who are often sick) can at least pick berries and move two tiles at at a time.

Breeding those 3/4 bearyena nichelings is questionable. You don't want them to pass on their low fertility, no horns, hindlegs and possible hemophilia. Giving normal nichelings their genes to mutate has worked best for me.

They have a chance of inheriting the stinky tail, fishing tail and others, though. These genes tend to vary from bearyena to bearyena and could be useful if you don't find good wanderers.

Blindness can be quite useful. Short sighted eyes aren't, though.

Finding food without smelling is hard. I' ve had two scenarios on this: Adam and Eve both had poison fangs. I didn't find wanderers. Adding blindness for +2 smelling gives a creature 3 in total, as good as the big nose, which wasn't unlocked.

Another one is for a challenge. The big nose + blindness results in 5 smelling. These creatures make good scouts with an aid. The gene isn't that awful, even when it lurks around in your rec. gene pool. 

Rogue males sometimes get scared of your creatures and run away. Old rogue males will always mate and not run away. Even if you kill them in the process...

So If you plan on breeding a female or to let her stay far away by a berry bush, it's best to get them pregnant as soon as possible. You don't want rogue children.

Keeping more than 6 immunity genes at a time is a menace. I would know, I made my first nichelings get all of them. It doesn't help you, it slows down progress. So don't worry about losing some above that number.

To unlock the big ears, scorpion tail and lean body, go to the Oasis. The port has bones on it, but is way easier than the other hot islands. Come with swimming genes. There is usually one hot spot with a lot of berry bushes, though.

If you are planning on winged creatures, get at least 300 food first, unlock the scorption tail and keep a supporting blood line. You usually start with the medium body and horns, then get wings, the beak and bearyena hindlegs. The mega. Horns and big body gives them a base strenght of 5. On harder island, a few bearyena snouts and the club like tail can get you up to an 8. This is a late game build, unless you start on the summer mountains. 

The fastest way to ancient genes is to start on the summer mountains. Get big body+ fluffy tail and full running legs, go to the harder snow biome, grab what you can and make a run for it to the ports!

Sorry, that's all that I can think of at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much @RandomWanderer

I have around 20-30 food each day but I think the priority now is getting big nose and runner legs on. Thanks to Ruby and Tadukku, the only things 90% of my tribe can do are crack nuts and dig up roots lol. Once we have a bit more food we will go to the next port. I think it will be a peaceful meadow or grass mingle. 

Most of my creatures have A B C D or G. A wanderer I found also has I. I think we will keep it there. 

I have a question though, I still don’t know how to predict the weather. Is there something I have to mouse over? I have an antennae but don’t know how to use it lol

• Like 1

Tip: Try out Story Mode. At least go through the tutorial. You might already know how to play, but it might teach you something about movement controls you didn't know existed. Also, the cutscene at the beginning is awesome. Make sure you have your music on! (If you don't, you can find it on YouTube) Plus, just trying to get Adam's family Home is fun :) (It also gives you a nice goal to keep, if you like goals) Another tip: Extinguish bad eyesight and Digging paw. Digging paw may sometimes be useful, but I've had problems where I'll end up with Double Diggers (2 digging paw) and they can't do anything except dig.. which isn't that useful, honestly. Before yu even have your first baby, make sure the starters don't have bad eyesight, and put regular eyes in the mutation if they do.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I was unlucky with my first starter because she had double digging claws and I didn’t think it would be that much of a problem. 

I was gifted a steam key but the soundtrack was not included. Maybe I can look up the track on YouTube.

I think I know what to do now. I was only able to play yesterday since I was at our house where the good computer is. Now I am at the summer house with the old computer that won’t support niche. By the start of the school year, I should be on niche again. Thanks all!

• Like 1

@bostonlobstah If you are just playing the game, just make sure the in-game settings for the music/audio are up. Then you'll be able to hear the in-game music as you play, plus all the noises that are made when certain actions are done. I didn't buy the soundtrack, and I hear stuff fine. It's not the track, it's just that when you start Story Mode there's a cutscene that has some noises you'd want to hear, so make sure you don't have your volume all the way down.

• Like 2