Stray Fawn Community

Eating Nichelings

magpie

I'll understand if you happen to find this suggestion overly morbid, but since our packs can already devour befriended bearyenas...

..., I'd like to propose the packs should be able to hunt and ingest rogue males and possibly wandering nichelings. Both rogues and wanderers would give the same amount of feedings (7?) and would be able to protect themselves/flee on a level corresponding to their genes. For example, a strong/poisonous/spiky/etc. wandering nicheling could pose a serious threat to the pack (yet somehow I doubt anyone would kill such a promising potential member), while a crippled rogue male could be an easy prey, and a life-saver in case there were little alternative food sources. Neither rogues or wanderers would attack the pack on their own (initiate fights), ever, with the exception of the 'attacks' the rogues already conduct.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Finnwinter said:

its not healthy to eat your own kind, this would lead to sickness :/

How so? In wild, females often eat their dead or sick newborns, or even healthy ones if there's not enough food to sustain them. Chimpanzees kill and consume members of other chimpanzee tribes, allegedly. Rats eat their deceased comrades - this occasionally happens among pets as well. And I'm pretty sure there's ton of other examples, except I can't recall any at the moment and am too lazy to use Google. :)

As I said, I understand if people find this too digusting to let it appear in the game; but, disgusting or not, cannibalism is a normal and natural thing (for some species).

Edit - ooh, mantis is quite a cool example as well!

Edited by magpie
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Finnwinter said:

its not healthy to eat your own kind, this would lead to sickness :/

Since when? Raw meat is raw meat. I have never heard that cannibalism makes creatures more sick than other bacteria or sick at all... :)

11 hours ago, Jojo said:

Since when? Raw meat is raw meat. I have never heard that cannibalism makes creatures more sick than other bacteria or sick at all... :)

Eating human meat is bad for our brains

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it would prove useful, I mean if you're going to fight OFF an enemy (wanderer/rogue male) then what's to stop them for utilizing that meat? It's not as if you'd intentionally abandon unwanted/excess/elderly (fe)males from the tribe in order to kill and eat them >w>

Not like I already send sick(*cough*inbreds) and unwanteds off to the ocean. And call it a tribal custom.... nooope.

• Like 1

I honestly don't see the problem with this. We're already able to kill other nichelings anyway (so basically murder), how much more "bad for our brains" can having the option to then eat the nicheling be? Cannibalism is very common in nature, and niche is all about nature and survival of the fittest and all that jazz after all

@Goggles-kun male lions don't eat their own cubs, but they will eat the cubs of other males if given the chance

@Lilytuft  this doesn't really seem like the sort of game younger kids would play. I'm sure most if not all of the kids playing the game are old enough to deal with the more brutal side of life

@DogCatCowPig even if it were added (which it probably won't be) couldn't you just not have you're nichelings eat other nichelings? It's not like its something you would have to do

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lilytuft said:

14 hours ago, ChasingNyx said:

Yes but
That's mental
Not physicial sickness
plus nichelings kill other nichelings and don't care because they are ai so why would this affect them

I googled it quickly. Consuming the brain can lead to sickness similar to the mad cow disease and consuming other parts of the human can lead to some other sicknesses, but I assume this is mainly the case when you don't boil or otherwhise prepare the flesh, because we don't eat raw meat of other species as we know very well that that can make us sick.

So in conclusion of my short research eating your own kind doesn't make you sicker than eating raw flesh of any other species.

I dont think animals get sick from eating their own kind, unless that other animal has some sort of disease or bacteria on it that its not immune to. As for humans, I think you can get mental sicknesses from eating the brain, otherwise I think most of the body other than that is safe to eat....idk.

This video may help?

19 minutes ago, TheAlbinoNightfury said:

I dont think animals get sick from eating their own kind, unless that other animal has some sort of disease or bacteria on it that its not immune to. As for humans, I think you can get mental sicknesses from eating the brain, otherwise I think most of the body other than that is safe to eat....idk.

This video may help?

If you cook the meat it is fine as well. I looked it up when the discussion first started. Raw meat is always pretty dangerous for humans, so human meat is no different there. I am pretty sure there were (maybe are) some human cultures that probably practiced cannibalsim. It is just not our moral standard right now :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lurkily said:

Humans tend to be more dangerous to eat raw than other species, to my understanding, but . . . that might not be something you can market to a 12-year old.

Raw meat from any animal is dangerous for humans to eat. I don't really know anything about this topic, but I'd assume this is compared to meats humans eat normally, like beef and pork. If I'm right, then of course human meat isn't going to be quite as safe to eat. The animals humans eat on a regular basis have been bred for a very long time specifically for our consumption, whereas humans obviously haven't

While I can understand concerns about this being in a game played by children, it wouldn't quite be the same as giving them a game encouraging human cannibalism. I honestly can't see a game about animals, especially one that doesn't have any graphic details of gore or even blood, doing a 12 year old any psychological damage or whatever

• Like 1

It's not so much about whether or not it's a horror movie.  To market to kids, you often have to go through parents, who have certain ideas about what kinds of concepts should be acceptable to children, and what sort of concepts children should be familiarized to.

As for raw meat, the actual reason it's dangerous to humans is because every infectious agent present in human flesh is a pathogen that can thrive in human flesh, so food handling errors have an almost 100% chance to pass something infectious along.  But we're also more dangerous to consume in general, to anything.

I knew there was something I forgot.  Prions.  These cannot be eliminated by cooking.  They are proteins that are malformed and misfolded, and thus can cause problems, including becoming infectious.  They're typically found in the brain, but can hitch a ride in meat proteins as well.

In the course of checking up, I revisited my prion research for an old story.  To circle back to an earlier point on the conversation, there's this chain:

On 8/17/2018 at 4:29 PM, Lilytuft said:

On 8/17/2018 at 4:37 PM, ChasingNyx said:

Yes but
That's mental
Not physicial sickness

On 8/18/2018 at 6:54 AM, Jojo said:

I googled it quickly. Consuming the brain can lead to sickness similar to the mad cow disease and consuming other parts of the human can lead to some other sicknesses, but I assume this is mainly the case when you don't boil or otherwhise prepare the flesh, because we don't eat raw meat of other species as we know very well that that can make us sick.

This goes back to prions - malformed proteins that do not perform their job correctly and can become infectious.  They are typically in the brain.  Mad Cow is a prion disease.  It is NOT eliminated by cooking, acids, or a whole lot of sterilization procedures, hence why cooking a burger well-done would not protect you from Mad Cow, and eating it makes you sick, where stomach acid would kill many other diseases.  Prions cause a number of diseases that affect the brain and are typically fatal.  Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is one of these.

On 12/27/2018 at 5:05 PM, TheAlbinoNightfury said:

As for humans, I think you can get mental sicknesses from eating the brain, otherwise I think most of the body other than that is safe to eat....idk.

As mentioned above, they are typically in the brain, but can be muscle proteins, or hitch a ride in them, as well as being able to contaminate food sources through mishandling.  In the end, they're in nervous system tissue, so anywhere that system extends carries that risk.

• Like 2

...this seems to somewhat have derailed from animals eating other animals, to include their own kind, to debating between human cannibalism. No, it's not a good thing. But animals cannibalize constantly, even their own young, for the simple fact that they're hungry, there's not enough food for the young, they're stressed, they don't know what to do, or plain just go for it and leave the bulk of the bodies behind to rot.

Children can indeed learn a lot from this game, but again, it wouldn't be graphic or anything. Hell, Viva Pinata had you feeding them to each other. And that game was definitely geared towards children (at first). It didn't catch on because it was too difficult a game for many at the age that would enjoy the colorful beasties.

This game is very similar (albeit no candy or unlimited lifespans/no genetic problems from inbreeding) so having a similar feeding shouldn't be such a big deal.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Skysplash8 said:

@Lurkily @BirdsAreCool Does this help

Did nobody see my video??

I saw the video, I haven't had a chance to watch it tho. Going by the title and a reply from @Lurkily I'm going to assume it's not too helpful for understanding how it's unsafe for us to eat raw meat, but I'll watch it later anyways, it looks interesting

9 hours ago, Lurkily said:

It's not so much about whether or not it's a horror movie.  To market to kids, you often have to go through parents, who have certain ideas about what kinds of concepts should be acceptable to children, and what sort of concepts children should be familiarized to.

I don't remember mentioning anything about horror movies? However, I will say that the context and level of gore probably plays a bit part in a lot of parents decisions to give their child a game or not. Niche is an educational game about survival with simple, cartoony graphics and no depictions of gore, blood or anything else along those lines. Handing a 12 year old a game like niche would be very different from handing a 12 year old a horror game that contains realistic, gory graphics and involves cannibalizing humans

9 hours ago, Lurkily said:

6 hours ago, Lurkily said:

Not sure how that bears on how the specific dangers of eating humans.

You speaks the proper English sees I:D. Can i just point out that you're the one talking about something completely irrelevant here? Yes, the video probably doesn't have much info on how humans can't eat raw meat, but that isn't what the post is about. This is about wild animals and cannibalism, not a human's incapability to eat raw meat

Edited by BirdsAreCool
not sure what's up with that blank quote, I can't get rid of it
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BirdsAreCool said:

I don't remember mentioning anything about horror movies?

Because you mentioned gore as a factor.

7 hours ago, BirdsAreCool said:

Can i just point out that you're the one talking about something completely irrelevant here?

We both are, really.  I wouldn't have replied, except that it was specifically tagged for my attention.

My apologies if I derailed things a bit.  It strayed into an area I've researched in some depth, and I automatically went into sharing mode.