Stray Fawn Community

Should venom have a bigger impact on hunting?

As it is, if your venomous nicheling with 1 strenght hits a rabbil, they may happily hop to the other side of the island... to die when you pass the turn.

What do you think? Is this scenario rare enough that it doesn't matter, or would a mechanic add to the game?

I'd propose limited movement for the poisoned rabbil. Say 2 tiles and it freezes.

• Like 3

I think it’s an interesting concept. I have a question though, by two tiles does that mean the rabbil only has two more turns until it freezes? If so, I think that it should be longer because two moves feels like nothing especially if you have a lot of creatures. Also maybe venom could stack so the higher your venom, the less they move and/or the longer the target is poisoned.

• Like 2

I think this would require a specific gene. There are MANY types of venom, and the venom from poison fangs is one that only causes damage over time. There could be a different variant of poison fangs with paralyzing venom.

• Like 4

I considered the poison fangs for this in a Komodo dragon style, a weak bite with a complex venom, with the neck (bodytype) doing most of the tearing damage.

The effects have been described by https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/phenomena/2009/05/18/venomous-komodo-dragons-kill-prey-with-wound-and-poison-tactics/.

"They cause internal haemorrhaging from leaky blood vessels, prevent blood from clotting and cause muscle contractions and paralysis."

It doesn't read bleeding on a bearyena, but it doesn't need to. A small bite on a very large animal is downplayed. 

Why would a very small rabbil react the same way, though? They were badly wounded, as such the venom has the largest effect. Bleeding to death with muscle contractions and eventual paralysis.

Horns play into this aswell. They offer a wound for our "Komodo" Nicheling to drip poison into, fitting well into this feature. A weak animal, or if you choose, horns doing mostly blunt damage, is still able to stun for its toxic attack. 

Scorpion's venom seems paralyzing by default. It is true that venom is incredibly complex. If we look at the right animals though, the effects are alike enough superficially to work alike in Niche.

https://www.orkin.com/stinging-pests/scorpions/what-do-scorpions-eat/

I am unsure about a balanced tile ratio, though. The benefit is that prey can't die where nichelings won't be able to find it or where it would be stolen in a heartbeat.

A big nosed scorpion tail would have an easier time finding said food than a poison fanged nicheling near unable to smell.

As the scorpion tail is quite OP already, it might benefit the poison fangs to limit movement a bit more. What are your thoughts on this?

(Please excuse the oversized text above, I can't find a way to make it smaller on the mobile version without writing the paragraph myself and making its use questionable.)

• Like 1