Stray Fawn Community

Basic Questions About Niche

TimH

Hello all, I am new here.... and thanks in advance for any help. My kids are very interested in Niche from videos they have seen (I assume they stumbled on them from Youtube), but I was hoping for your help as I am very clueless on games these days and couldn't immediately find a definitive answer around.

First, on the cost. Is Niche at $17.99 a one-time purchase? Are there regular recurring fees of any sort, and/or payments for upgrades, new releases, etc? Is the Steam app on desktop the usual way to do it?

Also, my kids are 7 and 9 years old  -- is that too young? From what I could tell, the game is as complicated or simple as you want to make it, and they certainly understand the concept of evolution, genes, etc. It looks fun for that age, but I wanted to check. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated, on the game and also any words of wisdom for parents of younger players.

Thank you for your words of wisdom,
Tim

• Like 2

I only recently found out about this game myself.
I think the last update was in june or july, and that added new genes like wings and purr snout.
This updated version is the only type that I have played. I assume that this update was free.

Playing the game, I think it's safe for kids.
There's no scummy microtransactions or lootboxes. No DLC that I know of. 
It's just a one time fee of $18, with i assume free updates every once and a while.

The only drawback that I can think of is that it's kind of hard for beginners to grasp.
The game doesn't really explain things well, not even in the tutorial mode.
I saw a lot of adults complain about that on steam, so it might be hard for kids to learn and survive on the more difficult islands.
But we'd be happy to answer any questions on the forums. I'm happy to see more people play this game!

• Like 2

I think your kids will be OK playing this game. I have been playing only for a week or so and I think it's fine, even great, for kids. There is of course death in this game, and 'rogue males,' creatures with bad genetics which try to get your female animals pregnant. But none of it is 'realistic'  or intimate at all. I am still a teen and my twelve year old sister plays too. My four year old sister enjoys watching us play sometimes, and I would not allow that if I did not think the game was suitable for kids. She is too young to play as she doesn't understand the mechanics or genetics at all, but I think seven and nine, especially if they understand genetics, are  good ages if they can understand how to play.

I agree with @Wander that it can be difficult to understand the tutorial. I had been watching youtube videos of it before so I mostly understood how the game worked, and knew a lot more tips and tricks on how to play. I  recommend your kids watch some video tutorials on youtube if they haven't already. Though I don't think they have any videos directly telling you how to play the game, there are several 'let's play' kid-friendly Niche youtubers like Jessimew and Seri! Pixel Biologist! That can help show them some tips like what healing plants are, and how to hunt for food. I watched Seri before getting the game and I feel much more prepared then I would have.

I believe it is a one time fee. Though I got mine for free from one of the forum moderators. They sometimes will have steam key giveaways here on the forums, which are basically codes that you can enter to get a free niche. Around 20-30 people enter and there are usually 3 winners.

• Like 4

So far all the updates to the game have been for free and as Wander said there are no lootboxes or microtransactions. The developers also have not said that the new update coming in early 2019 will cost something. The game is in a finished state as of now and playable even without future updates :)

I think all the parts about Kidfriendly are very well answered above. Nothing is to intimate or graphic in Niche and when the children understand the genetics and strategy aspect of the game and enjoy it they'll probably love Niche

• Like 2

If your kids have watched videos of it then they will probably understand it well. The only problem is that some islands may be a bit difficult for a seven year old, but It surely wont matter on the long run. Well, they may be jump scared by apes in the jungle levels... Just kidding. The apes look quite funny.

• Haha 2