Stray Fawn Community

Dumb things you do?

bostonlobstah

I was watching my sister play on the save file I let her have. I watched as she placed all of her nichelings around her favorite one on her last day alive while singing a mournful song. Wasted pretty much the whole days worth of turns. I told her this but apparently she thinks this is more important :)

now I am curious. Do you do anything that doesn’t benefit you in any way?

• Like 3

I can't recall anything particularly dumb that I did before... I think the dumbest thing I did was back in the snow biome update. I blazed through the starter island without preparing ahead of time and then died in the snow biome the next day 😅

(During this, I got the weird screenshot of the "hairy guy in a hot tub staring at my crippled son"...)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I'd be lying if I were to claim that it doesn't benefit me in any way, but it has become a strange little ritual. 

If a wandering female appears, I let her mate with the strongest male. She then searches for a perfect nesting spot, and, if she is lucky, will have a child there.

Her strenght and appearance don't matter. Unless his eyesight isn't full or she has the no paw, she won't get anything to mutate. It's her line. 

What doesn't really benefit me, though, is continuing that line at times.  

That can really go on when they just have great match ups. 

20180811_183558.thumb.jpg.e4b1bd707068199effb280368bc42446.jpg

Mom

20180811_190158.thumb.jpg.8187107db9d860fb9d3d1b1ed942fd61.jpg

Gen 1 and son. Mom 2 was another wanderer. 

20180814_195211.thumb.jpg.804e349e6c8f7c5b48b0533f24c0c287.jpg

Gen 3. There are a lot of bushes and a tree here, plus, no bugs.

I don't have pictures of other lines, sadly. I suppose it is a tradition in the name of Mythal, though there are exceptions. It's of no use in the jungle or in cold biomes if both are going to freeze to death if not slaughtered.

Males are only chosen... if they are pretty. Is this reverse sexism? 

20180823_143117.thumb.jpg.b50a0f27762bf5c4ad4eb2df4f2c36d7.jpg

20180827_181956.thumb.jpg.fffd42c09059d14649ef08d415295bfc.jpg

Exceptions are made when they serve a purpose

One way to get water genes.

20180826_150633.thumb.jpg.0a304b1d4702f7b51852cfd416c9d50e.jpg

Or when I am desperate and playing blind genes. Pretty children, tough. 

20180827_174940.thumb.jpg.3b06e0cab4897761ae215ddac794042a.jpg

Luckily neither passed on the no paw. I think he had two novel immunity genes and the big ears. 

His grandson got a harem. He was the only male born and the creature limit raised to 19. 

20180827_191140.thumb.jpg.d0bf4cacb262bbb1d8037d15c7dc91f9.jpg

The bearyena ears happened during a generic bottleneck. I am guessing they all have them in some way. 

The dumb thing I do is risk taking. It pays off so well tough, at times. The whims didn't starve with that scorpion tail. Even if three no paw derpsnouts were bred for it and that water line consisted of him banging his own daughter.

20180826_150633.jpg

• Like 5

The dumbest thing I did...probably went way overboard with breeding a male bird beaked son of a wanderer with Tons of females because I wanted beak.  I bred to tons of females, including a bearyena snout female. Only two beaked babies came out of it. Both were infertile.  Gahhh!

fortunately I quit doing that because I had started a whale island save that was doing much better in the beak and wings department lol

so that’s how I turned my first save into a suffering tribe in the grass adventure island with about 25 members and less than 100 food. (It used to be forty members, same amount of food, but I realized that was too many and banished half my tribe.)

• Like 4

The dumbest thing I did was way back when the jungle update came out to head straight there and almost die because of the apes ^^

Now I guess just following the rough rules of my warrior cats challenge (babies have to be born close to each other, new warriors have to be named close to the leader, same goes for apprentices)

• Like 3

I started playing a roleplay challenge where after three generations, one of the nichelings declares themself the "alpha", or dictator of the tribe. In my first challenge save, I was sticking exactly to the rules of the "Utopia" challenge, where after three generations, rejected nichelings get drowned in the ocean, and this includes wanderers. In that save, I played it on Tiny Green because it's difficult to escape, and had my rejects hide in a patch of tall grass near a whale island port that was never cleared.

Here's the dumb part: On that first save file, one of the nichelings got an idea: have the rejects secretly breed with each other to produce children that are acceptable, and then send the children into the main tribe as "wanderers". The "wanderers" would add to the gene pool, and spread their agenda of resisting the dictatorship. That sounds good on paper until you realize that the traits that could get a nicheling rejected include bad paw, bad eyesight/blindness, derp nose, and gene combinations that render a nicheling useless. (That last one is a judgement call.)

Here's the even dumber part: That idea actually worked. Within a few generations, there was no point to having the secret tribe anymore because one member was getting old and the other was technically acceptable but chose to hold off because she looked too similar to her sister. By that point, the main tribe disliked the current dictator for being petty and irresponsible, so they revealed themselves and kicked out the dictator.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

In my first tribe which was story mode, I took Adam and Eve's children to the ports without knowing that the home island gene was important and they didn't have it. Luckily the tribe went extinct from starvation, I would have been pretty disappointed to arrive to home island without the gene.

Probably not the dumbest thing I've done, but pretty dumb. 🤪

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, heyitsgeorgie said:

* @Taduk had entered the chat *

(sorry for calling you but I know you have like 1000 hours playtime which is probably higher than anyone else so you probably have a longer save)

You betcha ;)hahA.png.721796c7615ebf7b0934f8c4d157ff53.png

Dumbest thing I've ever done? Not playing more ttc- Karg B|B|B|

Edited by Taduk
Playing* Was accidentally just play. Gosh darn grammar I hate you.
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Renio2490 said:

Teach me your ways master.

Play niche all day every day. No breaks. (Also fun fact probably half of my playtime comes from just having it play in the background while I do other stuff, so.. Maybe that too..)

3 minutes ago, heyitsgeorgie said:

I can always rely on you for playing too much niche

Yep. I recently got 200 more hours, so now I'm at 1200 hours of playtime B|

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Renio2490 said:

But what if I have to reply? Or it's a question? How long have you played your island of reincarnation? 

You generally don't have to? I mean, people can always quote you if it's a direct question. Unfollowing sections helped me personally, but you can always leave for a time span. No questions asked, no one blamed. 

About saves... mine don't live long, either. Got the 1000 days achievement, but deleting a tribe is easier than leaving them behind. The island is only 700- ish days old, or 50 hours. Still the oldest tribe alive and likely will always be

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Basil said:

I would do this a WHOLE bunch when I played Niche in the past...

invite every wanderer into my tribe no matter the genes

I LIKE DIVERSITY OKAY??

That reminds me of version 0.1.5, where every wanderer you found was automatically added into your tribe, even if you didn't want the wanderer yourself.

I do the opposite.. I never invite a wanderer (no matter how pretty) unless 1. It has a gene I can only get by inviting them in (Antenna, wing, etc). 2. I have all females and the wanderer is a male or vice-versa. 3. I only have one nicheling. 4. I force myself to, so I can divert from my normal way of playing by breeding siblings (I know). Or 5. The save isn't ttc - Karg (Like, I don't remember the last time I invited a wanderer in with that tribe, if at all. It's also probably the reason I think I don't ever invite wanderers, considering I will often invite them in in other saves...).

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Basil said:

I would do this a WHOLE bunch when I played Niche in the past...

invite every wanderer into my tribe no matter the genes

I LIKE DIVERSITY OKAY??

17 minutes ago, bostonlobstah said:

I still do that ^^'

Same, though with the longer lifespans I might slowly be changing my strategy... if I can help myself... which I cannot ^^

• Like 2

-I accept all wanderers in and keep rogue children.

-i also let creatures die next to their mates, their mate’s corpse, or if they don’t have one, next to their family.

-I also have a strange obsession with keeping poison fangs in my story mode playthrough

• Like 8

Just now, aroefex said:

-I accept all wanderers in and keep rogue children.

-i also let creatures die next to their mates, their mate’s corpse, or if they don’t have one, next to their family.

-I also have a strange obsession with keeping poison fangs in my story mode playthrough

Pretty much me.

• Like 5