Stray Fawn Community

A guidebook

Wander

When I first played Niche, there were some really confusing things.
For instance, when you look at the genes in the mutation menu. Some descriptions just really are not helpful.

For peacock tail, its purpose is to increase your chances of attracting outsiders.
To attract outsiders, you have to stand on top of a stump or tree and then call out.
But the mutation menu doesn't explain this. It just says "+2 attractiveness"

For purr snout, it says "adds ability to purr"
But it doesn't explain what benefit the purring ability gives.
I had no idea it let you heal Nichelings.

Recently I thought there was a bug because I was spending time on a cold island, but the counter wasn't going up for genes like antlers or big body. Turns out that the island has particularly cold days, and you have to wait for these times. I didn't know!

That's why I thought it would be nice to have a guidebook!
It could explain the benefits in detail of each gene.
It could also provide detail about islands, what kind of weather to expect.
Or even other animals like razarenas, meat eating plants, rabbils, bearyenas, etc.

WHAT IT WOULD LOOK LIKE

I got the idea from playing Oxygen Not Included.
There are a lot of things in this game that you have to pay attention to, so they have a database explaining things in detail.
The database button is in the top right corner.
image.thumb.png.9665aa4085927d05e1b1173bab18ad43.png

When you click on it, you can choose what kind of information you want to look up.
If it were implemented in Niche, I imagine it would say something like...
>genes
>islands
>plants
>animals

image.png.5d703246822d9d078b2aaecf44146dc8.png

Just click on what you want for more detailed information!
That way it's way less confusing for new players!
image.png.6c7059a21658bea5a0b7e1f19820d5da.png

• Like 1

6 replies to this post

7 minutes ago, DogCatCowPig said:

i think the niche wiki pretty much dose all of that.

Niche wiki does explain it. Oxygen Not Included wiki explains things too.

The point is that new players don't have to exit the game and search everything online because there's an in-game explanation.
Just generally it's annoying if you have to look up online to learn how to play a game.
It should be obvious from playing the game. 

As it is now, one of the more common complaints on steam reviews is that it's hard for new players to learn things.
I thought this might ease the learning curve a bit.
Not everybody is willing to exit the game to google stuff.

image.png.5760049408b1394b64909dbd724dce14.png

image.png.e0af99340b3929c145d05a71c380d53b.png

image.png.d27f687d78bc35b7138636c318554967.png

• Like 2

I think an easy fix to help newer players is to have the details box when you select a part of your drone (has the buttons to add keys) show when you select the part from the bar at the bottom. I tend to place a gate and have to trash it because it did not have the add keys I was needing. If the Box opened as soon as I selected the gate I would be able to select another gate if the add keys were wrong with out having to place the gate first making me trash it.

I also did not know what Camera Tracker did or how it worked until I saw it used in a YouTube video. I learn most of my game playing from YouTube videos because I am dyslexic and have trouble doing a lot of reading in wiki's (I have not yet been to your Wiki so do not take this personally I am referring to wiki's in general)

2 hours ago, jwktrucker said:

I think an easy fix to help newer players is to have the details box when you select a part of your drone (has the buttons to add keys) show when you select the part from the bar at the bottom. I tend to place a gate and have to trash it because it did not have the add keys I was needing. If the Box opened as soon as I selected the gate I would be able to select another gate if the add keys were wrong with out having to place the gate first making me trash it.

I also did not know what Camera Tracker did or how it worked until I saw it used in a YouTube video. I learn most of my game playing from YouTube videos because I am dyslexic and have trouble doing a lot of reading in wiki's (I have not yet been to your Wiki so do not take this personally I am referring to wiki's in general)

This is the Niche forum, Not sure where you wanted to post your comment in the Nimbatus section :)