Stray Fawn Community

Radiator: A suggestion about making things less prone to blowing up... a little

jbox1

Short answer: Make parts spread heat!

Long answer: One of the problems one can have, with the new heating system, is that heat doesn't disapate (easily) between parts. This can be troublesome, and even with a heater or cooler, it can be difficult to maintain consistent temperatures around a drone. Even if the front part of the drone is overheating, should you activate the cooler, you may end up freezing other parts. My solution is a radiator part. The radiator does not create or destroy heat, but instead transfers it around parts. Parts near a radiator will attempt to change to the temperature of the radiator, while the radiator will attempt to change to the temperature of the surrounding parts. This will cause the temperature differences to quickly even out over a large drone.

• Like 4

5 replies to this post

Good suggestion :) I'm not yet happy with how you control the heat/cold on your drone, especially the thermometer. I think your radiator is a good suggestion which would work fine exactly as you describe. This is something we have to address eventually and your suggestion is a good one. Will keep it in mind when the time comes. Thank you very much!

• Like 3

Ah, heat sinks.  (Which is basically a fancy name for a radiator.)  Have them equalize temperature between themselves and other nearby parts that have at least a minimum temperature gradient.  Perhaps have them work in concert with directly linked radiator (Or permit the creation of non-physics linkages for this purpose) so that chains of them can work in concert, and have them equalize temp.  That way they won't completely isolate your ship from harm until your ship is entirely on fire or entirely frozen, but they will still help dissipate the impact of heating and cooling.

I like this.  It gets my vote.  Heaters and coolers can work in concerts with these to help provide more distributed climate control, too.  

• Like 1