Stray Fawn Community

Two Connections

OmegaRogue

17 replies to this post

I've seen suggestions like this before, and it seems like the problem is mostly an issue of the already-existing programming. Maybe eventually they'll figure out a way to connect two already-placed parts with some strut or something that fuel/energy can't run through.

• Like 1

My understanding is that it exponentially increases the physics calculations going on to have more than one directly connected part and the potential for circular propagation of forces. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's difficult; more that super-rigid creations aren't really as interesting or challenging.  It's probably much easier for a dev to implement, as they can just throw a ton of physics calculations out the window.

• Like 1

Perhaps a reinforcement connection could be integrated into the structural blocks while leaving component blocks only one point of connection.

This will encourage the use of the structural blocks.

Maybe  "Fusing" = Structural blocks adjacent to other Structural block are automatically connected

For me this is a low priority feature

The reason I suggest making fused blocks fully rigid is because it requires no physics calculations, and doesn't risk circular connections that can play havoc with the math and increase physics requirements beyond what's reasonable for a small change.

Greycore, another option is to 'lace up' your drone with the connections you make, like shoelaces.  Bracket the outer hull of your ship in parts that are connected in a zigzag.  Thus if the parts on the top of your ship try to pull away, they're also pulling against the bottom of your ship.  If you lace most of your interior and exterior this way you'll still have some flex over distance, but you won't have issues like 'flaps' of your ship trying to peel away.

You know . . . another solution might be to just make a few large armor blocks.  A 1x8 block, an 'L' block that's the size of two 1x4 blocks, etc.  A couple bits like this would provide a structurally sound anchor that many parts could link to.  It wouldn't eliminate wobble, but it would make the ship more cohesive.

What about 'inertial dampeners', a part that specifically dampens physics a bit within the connected ship?  They could require energy, but enough of them could make a ship rigid, too.

• Like 1

Related suggestions that you might want to look at:

Under « Struts ».

A search bar is available in the top right-hand corner of the forums' pages. I advise you take a quick glance so as to either add to, vote up, perhaps bump up an existing idea when you feel it is close enough to yours, otherwise we might end up with five threads on the same topic, with different arguments and perhaps not as many upvotes as a single one would gather.