Stray Fawn Community

How do senses work?

Let's say an imaginary predator P has 4 hearing.

Creature C has to +2 sneaking. Does that mean if C is two tiles away from P, that she won't be heard?

Or will she always be heard because her +2 isn't enough?

Does this stack with camouflage? Do bearyenas and the great apes work differently? So many questions and no answers!

• Like 2

That is actually a good question. I think you need to have a higher stat in whatever sense you want to hide from or be completly out of range from the predator .

Ex: bearyena has two sight you have three camouflage so you should be save (provided nothing else gives you away) or you have zero camouflage but are like three or four tiles away and you should be safe too....in theory XD

I am pretty sure it works that way with apes too but as they have stats of six you need quite a bit of stealth and stuff. I was able to hide from bearyenas on deadly hill with creatures who had moss brown fur because it boosted their camouflage quite a bit :)

• Like 2

@Jojo

I never, literally never, am able to outrun a normal bearyena. I've had an albino flee 6 tiles away and six tiles again and it followed. They are easy to kill, but not for the adopted lean bodied wanderer. 

That 2 seems to stand for camouflage required then, but not their seeing range.

Until it doesn't. Here's the thing, though. I' ve been to all jungles a few times for some experimentation. The apes can be heard, wanderers scream. 

But they don't find the odd tribe of nichelings with little camouflage. The only "deduction" here is that their range of senses is quite small.

That "deduction" can be easily disproven, however, as once the big nosed ape found the stinky nicheling, it couldn't ourun it, despite the cleared grass and high speed of the creature. 

It just doesn't add up. One might think they behave differently once a target is found, but that is ever more profoundly absurd the deeper one follows into that hole.

• Like 1

@Wander

Hm...that's the only issue I have encountered frequently. But we all focus on different things. 

What are your main points?

I just hope I am missing something with the issue above and solution is not that the required stealth is displayed but not their range of senses. It seems straightforward that they are the same, but experimentation shows some weak spots to that theory.

At least in bearyenas. The apes are harder to messure and even potentially conflict with having two different sense systems with different values.

They're still irrationally bad at finding one, once they do, though... 

@RandomWanderer yeah bearyenas seem to lock on to certain Nichelings (they still attack spiky bodied Nichelings instead of non spiky body ones) as I said I am not a 100% sure how the senses work. Usually they work really well on the apes but as @Philo (how does it actually work?)  mentioned in another thread the predators have stats for hunger and stuff. So when a smelling ape is super hungry it will even eat Nichelings with the stinky tail, though that does not solve the problem that you sometimes can't outrun predators *thinking * Maybe it's a bug?

• Like 1

@Jojo 

"Stinky (Nicheling)" meant to refer to the stinky fruit debuff, not the tail. That was poorly worded.

There was some pick all the stinky fruits! Breed all for bright fur! Going on.

There have been some issues with ape spawn rates, maybe. People haven't been too sure.

As mentioned, I could hear the apes moving and attacking wanderers. They are in the jungle, at least, and quite often close. 

Bearyenas did not attack my spiky creatures, though. Didn't even know that was still around.

Though the worst I can imagine would be piranhas going chuck norris and attacking all land creatures before they can even bleed.

Or Loner ladies creating a horde with the rogues. That steals your food. And fills every tile of the island.

Better not give that game any inspiration.

• Like 1