Stray Fawn Community

Aesthetics of Weapon Colors

OsoMoore

I love putting colorful weapons on my ships, and the particle effects are glorious.  I recently started outfitting a new snake ship design, and spent some extra time in the weapon design interface.

I really want to put in weapons of different colors, but I've been unable to find a reason to use anything but yellow.

• Digging lasers need to be yellow for maximum dig power
  • Enemy destruction weapons need to be yellow for max damage
  • Blue could freeze super-powerful enemies faster than you can kill, but in general more damage is better
  • Red can spread on enemy ships, but you risk overheating your own components and damage is better
  • Green seems likely to kill yourself by spawning terrain in your own ship positions

I'd love to have lots of colors of lasers and flamethrowers going every which way, but I can't choose anything but Yellow without making a sub-par loadout.  I would love to see another way to get colors into weapons.  Some possible ideas:

• Unlockable free assignment of colors from missions
  • Colors based on weapon upgrade power
  • Colors unlocked by capturing enemies with the specified weapon color
  • Ammo that changes color in flight: ie. fades from yellow to blue

Please let me put on blue lasers without making my ships weak!

• Like 3

We could add the possibility to freely change the color of your weapons either by a upgrade or simply a color-wheel in the weapon workshop. The drawback is, that it's not as easy to see what each weapon does. But if you as a player deliberately choose so, maybe that's alright.

If red/blue and green weapons are not yet useful enough, then we have to balance accordingly. We will add more enemies which need strategy and specific weapons to be destroyed, not just damage (the hammerhead was the first try in that direction).

I usually just make so you cannot shoot with guns meant for making the design look amazing. Like I did in Ouroboros, The arms and some of the head in Ouroboros are completely decorational so you cannot even shoot them.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 3:22 AM, Markus said:

We could add the possibility to freely change the color of your weapons either by a upgrade or simply a color-wheel in the weapon workshop. The drawback is, that it's not as easy to see what each weapon does. But if you as a player deliberately choose so, maybe that's alright.

If red/blue and green weapons are not yet useful enough, then we have to balance accordingly. We will add more enemies which need strategy and specific weapons to be destroyed, not just damage (the hammerhead was the first try in that direction).

I have started using the Blue, partly because it is my favorite color, and partly because I have a lot of hammerheads to kill.

Maybe you could add some passive effects to the colors, like blue cools the ship when it shoots, red uses less energy, green gives fuel refill, or other related effects.

• Like 1