Stray Fawn Community

First impressions of Niche?

Lilytuft

How did you find out about Niche? What were your first impressions of it?

I found Niche through Seri! Pixel Biologist!'s videos. Niche was on verion 0.0.6 and didn't look very interesting. Still I looked it up on Steam. I was kind of interested, but my sister conveced me that this game was not worth it. My English was really bad at the time, so I tought this was a strange game about genets. (You know, the animal?) That made the game seem really unrealistic to me XD.

And so I was left wondering what would happen if you filled an entire island with these strange creatures.

Later Seri started making videos about Warrior cats untold tales. I started watching, because I really liked that game. She also had a Niche series called the Jannu tribe. I slowly started to understand it, until I was sure I wanted Niche.

I got it during the jungle update and it's one of my favorite games. It has really helped me understand genetics! (but not genets XD)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I found Niche through JessiMew. It was just randomly suggested to me on YouTube and I watched the vid. I wasn't even subscribed to Jessi back then. Well I was immediatly in love with the game (and with Jessi). It was a no brainer. I binge watched everything from Jessi I could find on it and then convinced my brother to buy it for me and then I played like probably almost a 100 hours in the first week or so (it felt like a lot of time though Steam didn't record any of it due to poor internet) and ever since then it has become my favourite game together with Skyrim and has currently almost 490 hours in my Steam library ^^

At that point I already understood genetics very well and that is a big point why I loved them game so much. I love all the different gene possibilties :D

• Like 4

I had been wanting to play a game with breeding mechanics for a long time.
I just googled games with breeding mechanics. A lot of results were stuff I already played, and like.... it had breeding but that wasn't the main focus of gameplay. Things like pokemon, the chao gardens in sonic adventure 2, final fantasy 7 chocobo breeding, fire emblem awakening

It was kind of surprising how few games i could find with breeding at its core.
This game was like the only game i could find that came even close to what i wanted, and i am totally satisfied.
Also, if the team who made Super Meat Boy ever do finish that cat breeding game called "Mew-genics" you kno i'm totally going to buy it.

• Like 4

I had to do a project a few years ago about my future job that required an interactive component. I want to be a genetic engineer, so I was trying to find a video game that involved genetics and I stumbled upon the Niche Kickstarter. I was disappointed that the game wouldn’t be out in time for my presentation so I left it. Later, I was recommended a Niche youtube video and soon after found Jessimew and fell in love with the game. I’ve always loved genetics and video games so Niche was the perfect game for me!

• Like 3

I used to watch Seri’s sims 3 warrior cats series a bit, and one time I stumbled upon one of her niche videos (I think it was the first episode of Seeker’s Journey.) I watched part of it, and loved the aesthetic instantly but wasn’t very interested in the game itself. Months later, I found that episode again and suddenly realized this was THE game made for me! It combined all my favorite things. Cute animals, gaming, and genetics (I was really into genetics!) I watched the entire series...and then proceeded to watch the Whims of Fate, Farsea Tribe, and the Wings of Wonder. Then I began watching Jessimew’s Story Mode tribe. 

I don’t watch those Niche videos anymore...because I can play it myself! And I LOVE the game so far and can’t wait for the new update and all the updates in the future! 

• Like 2

I (also) found Niche by watching Seri play it. I started watching her Yukir Tribe videos, and REALLLLY wanted the game. For Christmas/my Birthday (they're only a couple days apart) I wanted a Steam giftcard, and I kinda got worried because I got all the stuff from my relatives on Christmas or beforehand, but finally my Birthday came and my parents gave me the giftcard! Since it was late at night (we had just gone to see a movie), I just showed my parents pictures of the game that I knew I wanted to get. Next morning, as soon as I got up, I went and got Niche! I don't remember much of my first tribes, as I mostly just started tribes, bred a couple creatures, then got bored with it and deleted the tribe and then started the cycle anew. Finally I got hooked on one of the tribes and played with them a lot. I still have that tribe today, but I also have some other tribes too (my absolute favorite is the Whim of Fate Tribe, they're currently on day 654!!). I love Niche ^.^

• Like 4

I found Niche through Seri, too!

Whom I no longer watch!

Anyway, I watched her first ten(?) episodes and I already decided I wanted Niche. When I first bought it on Steam, I was absolutely OBSESSED WITH IT. In fact, two years ago, I think about 1/2 of the art I made was all the creatures I came across in Niche. Here's one of them! (It's also up on Steam)

1277888378_yourefired.JPG.e7a6b1d0a79d5f1d1354d0e1ff888db7.JPG

I took this photo with my desktop's camera. The resolution is so bad, but I lost the original image so that's all I got. Deal with it.

Every day after school I would play Niche, and I grew more interested in it every day. Even though I didn't watch Seri anymore, I still loved playing Niche. It was my favorite game to play (of course, behind THE DOG Island). I had my own stories, my own lore, and my own customs for every tribe. My favorite was a tribe that reached up to 1,000 days and had over 3,000 food! I called it the "Friendly Island" tribe! 😄

But then, one day in late 2017, I got super bored of Niche. I think this was a few months after the game was officially released? I dunno. But what's important is that I got bored of Niche. In fact, at one point, I was forcing myself to play Niche to rack up hours. Y'know, this tatic actually worked, because now I have over 100 hours!

I got even more bored after the wings update. I would just check up on my 1,000 days tribe, move some creatures, maybe end the day, and then exit the game. That was all. Then, this Summer, I stopped playing Niche. I think it's in my top 20 favorite games now xD

Oh, wait... You just wanted first impressions, not my entire Niche story. Damn it.

Uh, I liked Niche until I didn't. There we go.

Also,

On 10/6/2018 at 2:38 AM, Lilytuft said:

I tought this was a strange game about genets.

OH MY GOD I LOVE GENETS THEY'RE MY FAVORITE ANIMAL AHEUFSDYDGTDFY

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I used to watch Stardew Valley by Jessimew. I then looked for her most popular video, found Niche, and thought it was cool. I would make up stories about nichelings I made before I even got the game. I watched all her series up to the start of Adam's Quest, and I kinda just got the hang of it once I started because I had watched so much. I understood how to play, but I wasn't good at it. In my first tribe there was a lot of starvation and sickness, and times where the tribe nearly went extinct. I remember that my main goal was to find a mountain, and when my creatures arrived, they all starved to death. the end

• Like 2