Stray Fawn Community

Resource automatization

Jeroeno_Boy

When i clear out a planet, i usually harvest everything from it, but it would be waaay coler if bots can do this themselves.

What would be changed/added

Container full signal;

distance sensors can detect resource;

directional sensor can track towards the nimbatus;

directional sensors can detect resource from like 20 meters

Thats all i could think of rn and i would greatly apreciate if this got added, great love to the devs ❤️

• Like 2

8 replies to this post

I would like directional sensors that can track your position on the planet, from 1-360 degrees, with decimals.  That and the altimeter would make it possible to make a drone that could seek fixed goals, like the hopper, and also avoid the hopper in their meanderings. (A pair of altimeters and a bit of logic could keep you out of a range of altitude whenever you're in a certain range of degrees.)

I agree that resources should be detectable, and I would like to again take the opportunity to plug the idea of an 'angle' component to directional sensors that you could increase to 360, but that reduced maximum range as you increased the angle.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 8:45 PM, Jeroeno_Boy said:

directional sensor can track towards the nimbatus;

When I was just trying to set a system up for automated delivery I just left my drone core in the resource hopper (to home in on that, after rising to max altitude).

A bigger problem was the bug that resources won't currently enter containers that have been printed (and are still attached). But I believe the devs are onto that already.

Container full signal;

Yep, definitely. Maybe empty too...? (Easier to work around.)

distance sensors can detect resource;

directional sensors can detect resource from like 20 meters

Maybe a whole new resource sniffer (sensor) instead of over-loading the current ones...? But options are good.🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeroGravitas said:

A bigger problem was the bug that resources won't currently enter containers that have been printed (and are still attached). But I believe the devs are onto that already.

This is corrected, now.

1 hour ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Maybe a whole new resource sniffer (sensor) instead of over-loading the current ones...? But options are good.🙂

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think splitting the features of a sensor out into more sensors to limit the options per sensor is going to be less confusing.

• Like 1

since we are talking about sensors I would like the distance sensor to be round like the tiny fuel so it can be at odd angles without overlapping the block next to it.

I agree Resources and Hopper should be added to the detectable list.

We should keep the number of different parts down to reduce confusion but I think Altimetor would have to be a new sensor

I would also like the distance sensor to get an arch of detection set and rotate the sensor then hold shift while rotating to create an arch of detection using the same slider and selector for setting range and item to be detected.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurkily said:

This is corrected, now.

Since yesterday? Was there an update (I don't see an announcement)? Do you mean it's in a dev build? (Are you a dev?)

24 minutes ago, jwktrucker said:

I would like the distance sensor to be round like the tiny fuel so it can be at odd angles without overlapping the block next to it.

That sounds really handy.🙂 I wonder if it was tried already, but without the flat edges it tended to get rotated out of alignment too much (with the force of any other blocks attached to it)...?

27 minutes ago, jwktrucker said:

I would also like the distance sensor to get an arch of detection

Hmm, I wonder how much more computationally intensive that would make the detection... Also, harder (and more cluttered) for the game to illustrate the detection area. Maybe a proximity sensor instead...? With circular detection area. You could currently sweep out an an arc by putting a distance sensor on a motorised axel - far slower and more fallible, but cool looking. (Something for a separate thread.)

I too would like to see a Proximity sensor 

Not used the motorized Hinge yet was thinking of building a gun turret that tracked enemies a proximity sensor would let the turret to track at max range while holding fire on short range lasers until enemies are close enough to hit with out having to put distance behind every laser.

• Like 1

I also think directional sensors need an arc - reduce max range as you increase arc until you have a short-ranged 360 degree sensor.  I've used hinges for sensor sweeps before, but it's not a great solution, nor is bristling your ship with sensors.