Stray Fawn Community

Rigid Drone Bodies

Dargin

I've seen quite a few people now asking for multiple connections between parts. Most people who want the struts want them to stabilise their builds, which is pretty obvious, and then there's the people who argue against it, saying that we can already stabilise our drones, which is also very true. Instead of struts, perhaps the drone body could become completely rigid? with no flexibiity at all, rather than many different parts connected by springy rods.

Rotors, springs, and decouplers would still create new physics bodies of their own, but every part in a physics body is completely rigid to that physics body.

I have a feeling that it would increase drone stability and also reduce processing load for large drones, and also eliminate the jiggly drone bodies that result from unstable construction.

• Like 1

2 replies to this post

We fear that completely rigid drone would make the game maybe less fun (but of course building a lot easier :) ) and less unique. If we find a good and fun solution on how to make more rigid drones, we'll let you know :) 

I always liked the idea of 'chassis' pieces that were large and awkward, and would, if connected, fuse together at the start of the mission for you to anchor things to, with a drawback that any damage dealt to them would propagate to parts near the damage site as well. (Effectively increasing the total damage received.) 

It introduces a way to create rigidity; but it also creates a build challenge, in that you have to build your ship around a part that is a bit awkward, and never compact, and if exposed to damage, can propagate damage to large swaths of your ship.  God forbid you ever let it catch fire.

• Like 1