Stray Fawn Community

BETTER ALTIMETER

4 replies to this post

Some people at the steamforums suggested the same, I'll add the following to the discussion:

• Add a Toggle which decides what is 100%. Settings: Radius, Container, Nimbatus, Drone Brain
  • Add a relative Altimeter, which measures not the distance from the center of the planet, but a raycast to the surface as a guide.
  • Like 7

I want that relative altimeter, but use the distance sensor instead, and separate it into sections.  A 0-50% distance output, a  51-100% output, and a setting for the length of both, with a tolerance.

Also, we want distance sensors with an angle.  I know you've heard it before, but I'mma keep sayin' it.

As for the variable height . . . why not just permit values over 300?  Also, it would be nice if the altimeter's description had the altitude of various landmarks, like the highest and lowest parts of the Nimbatus/hopper.

On 10/7/2018 at 9:19 PM, Markus said:

Some people at the steamforums suggested the same, I'll add the following to the discussion:

• Add a Toggle which decides what is 100%. Settings: Radius, Container, Nimbatus, Drone Brain
  • Add a relative Altimeter, which measures not the distance from the center of the planet, but a raycast to the surface as a guide.

I especially like the first option, even though I just want ability to go higher than the current altimeter seems to allow. (90% or so is still too close to the surface for my taste). 100% at Nimbatus height (or little above it) would most likely be sufficient for most uses.

I would like to add something extra to this idea: Add an ability to alter the values of the altimeter during game. Ie: If I have altimeter set to 80% altitude, I could send the altimeter directive to increase it by 1% or another to decrease it by 1%. (Similar functionality could be useful for directional sensor (to alter the angle) but I don't really have any useful examples for that at the moment.)

• Like 1