Stray Fawn Community

part tech tree and upgrades

Epb7304

use resources to unlock parts for instance and part upgrades

you start with; basic thruster, medium fuel tank (1x2) medium battery (1x2) basic blasters only (the ones with bullets and maybe the short beam) only kinetic weapons yellow resource collector resource... vacuum? idk all basic blocks, upgrades, basic thruster becomes more powerful starts at 100 yellow resource increases by 50 yellow resource each time, fuel tank storage/regen starts at 150 yellow resource increases by 50 yellow resource each time, energy storage/regen starts at 150 yellow resource increases by 50 yellow resource each time, weapons already have a tech tree for upgrades, yellow resource storage starts at 400 yellow resource increases by 150 yellow resource each time, resource vacuum range/speed starts at 300 yellow resource increases by 125 yellow resource each time, all basic blocks have 100 yellow to start, increase health and price by 50 yellow each time

2000 yellow resource > red resource collector, starts at 500 yellow and 200 red resources to increase capacity, increases by 150 yellow and 25 red each time

3000 yellow and 1500 red resource > blue resource collector, starts at 750 yellow 500 red and 200 blue resources to increase capacity, increases by 250 yellow 100 red and 50 blue each time

5000 yellow 2000 red and 1000 blue resource > green resource collector (I know its not implemented yet), starts at 1250 yellow 750 red 500 blue and 300 green resources to increase capacity, increases by 500 yellow 300 red 200 blue and 150 green

500 yellow 1000 red resource > Plasma weaponry

750 yellow 750 red and 1000 blue resource > Cryogenic weaponry

1000 yellow 1000 red 750 blue and 1000 green > Bio weaponry

1000 yellow > long laser (1000 yellow for short laser if not already given) 250 yellow to upgrade health +50 yellow each upgrade

100 yellow each > logic parts 50 to upgrade health +25 yellow each upgrade

1000 yellow > directional sensor 250 yellow upgrade health +100 yellow each upgrade

500 red and 500 blue > temperature sensor 100 red and 50 blue upgrade health +50 red and +25 blue each upgrade

500 red > cooler 100 red upgrade health +50 red each upgrade

500 blue > heater 100 blue upgrade health +50 blue each upgrade

500 yellow and 250 red > shield 250 yellow and 250 red more protection and less energy use +50 yellow and +50 red each upgrade

750 yellow 250 red > drill/spike/sawblade 250 yellow and 100 red upgrade health and damage +150 yellow and +25 red each upgrade

500 yellow + 500 red > tnt 250 yellow and 250 red upgrade explosion damage and radius + 75 yellow and +75 red each upgrade

250 yellow and 200 red > magnet 150 yellow and 100 red upgraded energy usage, radius, and power

6000 yellow 5000 red 4000 blue and 3000 green > factory block 2000 yellow 1500 red 1000 blue 500 green upgrade its health and ready to print time +1000 yellow +750 red +500 blue and +250 green each upgrade

weapons cost resources to "manufacture" edits cost 500 yellow +50 red/blue/green/yellow depending on weapon damage type making costs +50 of each resource normally used in its edits

500 red > rocket launcher

750 red > grenade launcher

500 blue > shotgun

250 green > flame thrower

250 yellow > smaller thruster 150 yellow to upgrade power and health +50 each upgrade

250 yellow and 250 red > other thrusters 150 yellow and 100 red upgrade power and health +50 yellow +25 red each upgrade

50 yellow 50 red and 50 blue > camera tracker 150 yellow and 50 red upgrade health +50 yellow +25 red +10 blue each upgrade

500 yellow and 100 red each > speed and altimeter sensors 150 yellow and 50 red upgraded health +100 yellow and +50 red each upgrade

250 yellow each > free/motorized hinge and decoupler 150 yellow upgrades health +50 yellow each upgrade

250 yellow 250 red 250 blue each > springs 100 yellow 100 red and 50 blue upgrades springiness and health + 100 yellow +50 red and +25 blue each upgrade

250 yellow > small fuel tank 100 yellow upgrades capacity and health +50 yellow each upgrade

350 yellow > large fuel tank 150 yellow upgrades capacity and health +100 yellow each upgrade

350 yellow and 100 red > largest fuel tank 150 yellow and 50 red upgrades capacity and health +100 yellow and +50 red each upgrade

250 yellow > small battery 100 yellow upgrades capacity and health +50 yellow each upgrade

350 yellow > large battery 150 yellow upgrades capacity and health +100 yellow each upgrade

350 yellow and 100 red > largest battery 150 yellow and 50 red upgrades capacity and health +100 yellow and +50 red each upgrade

anything that I forgot dont forget to comment on

10 replies to this post

3 minutes ago, Epb7304 said:

6000 yellow 5000 red 4000 blue and 3000 green > factory block 2000 yellow 1500 red 1000 blue 500 green upgrade its health and ready to print time +1000 yellow +750 red +500 blue and +250 green each upgrade

Love the factory block don’t get me wrong, needs to be nerfed

Just now, ManTheMister said:

I don’t think that everything should cost something. I think that you should only have to buy new weapon/ammo types.

I would agree but, I feel like the game is sort of lacking in progession currently... I think that this could give a good way to progress

I'm actually in favor of paid part unlocks.  The drone construction can be information overload when a new player jumps in; limiting them to basic parts with some cheap initial unlocks can ease them into more complex builds, rather than dumping every capability on them at once.

Some of it, like some sets of logic parts, can be bought in groupings, and it doesn't have to be expensive.

I also think that we'll eventually have to limit the extent of drones so that you can't just put a thousand guns and engines on the field your first game in.  I feel like that, too, is something you should earn.

Remember, a good game balances expanding challenge with expanding skill and capability.  Eventually, the game should have a growing challenge - and the player will need growing capabilities to match that.  We can't just give them everything at once.

• Like 1

I have no complaints about games that make everything available to the player at once, as long as the required tutorials are there to prevent as many deaths by drowning (in information, of course) as possible. I believe I have not seen any such tutorial or mission that explicitly required the player built an elaborate logic system, however much that could be appreciated for all the people out there who have not followed classes in computer science.

What bothers me in the current tutorial is that it feels fragmentary, and a little too much like "training grounds" to me: it features missions that are essentially theoretical rather than practical, in settings that you will not find outside it. This is the way things are taught in French universities, and their methods are inefficient at best.

An augmented tutorial should: require the player to complete tasks that they will come across in the actual game; develop in a setting that makes sense as far as the story is concerned; exhibit some of the game's most enticing features, even if they are locked away or only there to be seen; be easy, not simple. You can see the difference between these two in the following tasks: build a craft with one button, two thrusters and a fuel tank to fly through three aligned targets, or construct an elaborate logic system with the game holding your hand and telling you what kind of component to place ("There exists a logic gate that lets you fire this thruster only if it meets a set of conditions. Something like 'fire only if this sensor AND this other one are green'.") in order to automagically lift a piece of wreckage, drag and drop it into the bin (a hopper of sorts). Both are rather easy, since you basically have the solution from the word "go", but only the first one is simple: the second task requires you actually use your brain a little.

Maybe for the actual release? One can dream (and make up plans in the meantime). Also, I would wholly dislike any kind of absurd grinding for resources only to unlock interesting parts. An hour of repetitive gathering of resources being required to actually craft the ship of my dreams is nothing I enjoy. I would prefer cheating, that at least is fun to do.

I agree - I don't think it should be an ugly grind. (Though we already do have to grind for upgrade availability, and we seem mostly agreed that it is a rewarding mechanic, with suggestions to treat other parts the same way - TNT, energy, etc.)  I don't want to BLOCK the player.  

The key is to introduce a new player to simple concepts by providing access to simple parts.  This gives them a chance to build something that works without confusion, and without the fear that they're neglecting important things by not using available parts.  You don't get people dumping it because it's confusing right from the outset.

You set the hook in other words. Let them get their footing.  Unlocks can be provided with as much or little ease as you like after that, and provide an additional reward and accomplishment to form the proper addiction. :)

I think a system where you upgrade you drone core with component slots would be much more interesting.
Using a diminishing return system you could fairly easy get a lot of parts early on but building massive things requires a lot of grinding.

I think this would be fair, and not punishing.

Would be nice to be able to unlock more or better parts, as well as upgrade their efficiency, strength, energy drain etc like we can with weapons. For instance customizable shields and thrusters. Would be nice to upgrade a tiny booster to be really strong, or make a normal booster more fuel efficient, or the armor rating of certain blocks, increase or decrease the mass of parts, etc. 

On 10/28/2018 at 5:49 AM, MrFaul said:

I think a system where you upgrade you drone core with component slots would be much more interesting.

I know I've commented on this already, but doesn't it seem arbitrary and artificial to provide an unrestricted environment to build from scratch, and then say 'but not the way you want to'? 

I'm not against progression mechanics, but let's try to make it organic.  Make people purchase or find a 'mount' item that weapons need to be fitted into, or make people find/buy each individual weapon, so they have to actually get two lasers before they can mount two lasers.  

I suppose lore could address this somewhat, and we have no campaign or backstory yet; perhaps you're constricted by regulation build parameters until you get promoted.  But I think it's really important, in a game that's trying to enable wild creativity, for the restrictions they enforce not to seem arbitrary.