Stray Fawn Community

Mircroprocessor module

WimeSTone

As a complementary part to current system, microprocessor should be used when you are short on space or can't balance centre of mass.

Size: 2x2; Mass: 1.

Has 16 slots for logic parts inside. Simply connect to drone and have circuitry fun.

All hail integrated circuits, for they may save humanity once again!

• Like 2

17 replies to this post

I'm all for this.  I don't think it will hurt balance much; it will let you make a more compact drone, but count those logic blocks toward the part count, and make the processor a high-mass object.  I think this can be useful for organizing your logic, and it's hard to see how it would break anything.

It would require a substantial rework of logic, though, and things like that cost us other features, and that's my main concern.

• Like 2

I don't even think you need to ban it.  The only issue I see is that a sumo bot could better protect vulnerable and awkward logic sets, and why is that a problem?  It's not like everybody won't be able to use it.  The logic parts would still count toward the part count and mass.  I don't see the problem.

If that Microprocessor module counted as 16 modules for Sumo calculations, it would reduce it's effect on sumo mode. That would still have quite strong effect in form of shrunken drone size (2x2 instead of 2x16 size). Maybe the developers could add it for non-sumo-modes only?

PS: When I read about the logic modules of the game for the first time, I expected them to be handled outside regular drone building. We have that drone core and couldn't that contain the logic? Currently the core ... just is there, doing nothing useful (well, you can make it explode - maybe it counts useful? Explosions are pretty! ;)

On 10/10/2018 at 2:22 PM, jbox1 said:

I feel that this is against the design of the game, and will definetly screw with sumo mode. I know it may seem like a good idea at first, but balancing it will be very tricky.

Sumo mode has rules. Just ban this module there and we are OK, right?

I think it balances itself, if you use it you get a smaller drone, but if it gets destroyed then your kinda screwed.  Whereas if you use multiple logic parts and a few get destroyed you can probably keep going. 

I gave some thought to processors recently, for the purpose of a message discussion about logic and how I thought it should develop.   There I suggested that a processor module should hold triple it's own footprint in logic modules.  Thus a 1x2 processor would hold three logic modules, and a 4x4 processor would hold nine, etc.  I'm not sure if that's ideal; I have some idea that using a larger processor should be more efficient than using several small ones - but it's a place to start in terms of scaling and balancing.

I've also rethought my stance on partcount.  I think these SHOULD provide a way to limit logic's impact on partcount.  It would swing sumo and other asynch multiplayer game modes a little more away from brute-force solutions, and enable smarter drones to be a little more competitive.  If a processor holds 3x it's footprint, this would mean logic parts would effectively cost 1/3rd of a part.

• Like 1

I agree with Lurkily's thinking; More logic on sumo fights would be better than the current brute force fights. Of course, the real sumo competitions are about brute force mostly too, with some techniques mixed in - as far as I understand. Even so, I would prefer to see more 'brain over brawn' in Nimbatus sumo fights.