Stray Fawn Community

More cores

GreyCore

I think that the drone core in the game currently is just a concept and and it lacks importance. So what if when building a drone, whether its the main or a factory made drone, they would all need a core, and different size cores could be chosen. The larger the core, the more blocks could be on the drone with the core. For example: 1x1 - 10 blocks, 2x2 - 25 blocks, 3x3 - 60 blocks, 5x5 ( the normal ) - 150, 7x7 - 300 blocks, and possibly more?

• Like 6

9 replies to this post

Good idea, it would certainly add another level to the design of drones :D

We'll certainly keep it in mind, but we don't have any concrete plans for it yet, the next thing in drone brain customization is probably going to be skins ^^

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not 100% certain I'm on board with skins, but I'm notoriously unconcerned with multiplayer, so maybe that's just me.  I'm far more concerned with logic and sensors.

Not trying to disparage . . . I just worry sometimes that the admins get less feedback about what's important to players than they'd like.  Maybe some feedback polls should go up.  Not that you have to listen to us, mind, I'm just firing off random thoughts.  I'm also sick, so maybe not thinking clearly as I should.

\

• Like 2

What I had noticed is that in the demo release, the standard drone core had the item tip “ability: deploy drones”

in my opinion, what I think this means is that the devs intend to give cores customisable abilities at some point. Sure, abilities and the item hint has been removed all together, but you never know.

• Like 2

In the closed alpha release, mining was done via a swarm of mining drones.  There were a number of problems with this - you couldn't direct them except to deploy them or bring them back, they concentrated near your core, so a large drone wouldn't be able to reach ore at all, and they were phenomenally stupid.  This being replaced by an ore vacuum part, I suspect we are done with ore drones.

3 hours ago, Lurkily said:

In the closed alpha release, mining was done via a swarm of mining drones.  There were a number of problems with this - you couldn't direct them except to deploy them or bring them back, they concentrated near your core, so a large drone wouldn't be able to reach ore at all, and they were phenomenally stupid.  This being replaced by an ore vacuum part, I suspect we are done with ore drones.

Not that I am complaining ofc XD

yes, the old system was incredibly annoying.

Hmm, I think I am the only one who is questionable about this:

- If multiple cores are available, wouldn't there be a problem with the connections? I think with bigger cores a bigger connection length is necessary, or maybe the core would have attachement points at its borders in order to avoid that and possible instabilities.

- Wouldn't it be strange that some players would prefer the smaller cores and build them in a row in order to increase their block placing capacity? I think that mechanic could be problematic, so maybe a solution could be that the capacity is for all connections from that core, connections going into another core have their capacity ignored for that one.

- An occuring problem of the above would be the factory, as it doesn't essentially would be a core attached to it, and there are more parts leading to the core, but which are ignored because it counted to the last core. Maybe those parts which lead from a factory are an exclusion and would count towards the next core.

- What about logic dependencies? I guess the extra cores would be for building purposes and are irrelevant from the logic, which comes from the main core (which could maybe have a seperate design to highlight, but I think that should be done anyway).

But what I like about the idea is that a bigger core could make a bigger drone more stable, or a normal size core isn't necessary for a smaller one.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 6:23 AM, jbox1 said:

What I had noticed is that in the demo release, the standard drone core had the item tip “ability: deploy drones”

We had multiple cores with multiple abilities in an earlier version.

One ability was self repair, another one slowmotion for a few seconds. But they were a bit too overpowered.
Maybe different cores could be a reward for completing the sumo tournament, or for defeating a boss enemy. But I'm not sure about this yet.

• Like 2