Stray Fawn Community

My take on Nimbatus’s Lore

jbox1

Now, one of the questions I’ve been having about Nimbatus is what the Lore is, or the background story. For a while, I assumed there was no Lore, which I was complaining fine with. That was until the loading hints were introduced.

One of the loading hints states that “The corp have placed transmitters on every planet to keep out competing factions”. What this means is that someone controls all these planets, and does not want you there. This also explains why there are transmitter effects. Whomever set up the transmitters did so to try and interfere with the operation of your drone, to try and deter you from completing your mission. This same person also presumably spams them cannon bois on bio planets because they don’t want you to get rid of their bio-waste. Don’t know why, because it’s disgusting.

However, this also raises the question of why you’re completing these missions in the first place. It likely isn’t the person who owns the planet that’s asking you to perform these actions, as they clearly want you gone. What I believe is that you work for some government agency not dissimilar to the EPA. All of the missions so far have been to reduce the population of certain creatures, or remove bio-waste, and the mission hints suggest that this is for environmentally conscious reasons.

So in conclusion, the Lore of Nimbatus is that you operate in territory controlled by another faction, to perform various actions to aid a government environmental sustainability agency of some kind,

• Like 3

Your guess is going in to the right direction 😃 But as the Early Access Release is more sandbox like than a campaign and the factions we have planned aren't really in the game, yet, we could say, that there is not a real lore for now. PS: The main visual should give you a small hint on what's to expect in the future, too

• Like 3

My take is that you are an engineer for a VERY big intergalactic corporation. This corporation either buys, sells, teraforms, or mines planets. Then their is the other corporation, which I shall name the grays. The grays are the only other corporation that can rival your’s power.they started building transmitters to interfere with your process. Not only this but there are planets that you have recently bought and now need to change by, decreasing th population of certain animals or changing the geography of these planets. Basically anything in the game can be explained with this logic. Why are you picking up bio barrels on a planet? Well these planets always have a lot of turrets, so maybe these bio barrels contain a valuable substance that can be turned into weapons or fuel. Also look at the background of this forum and nimbatus promo art. A lot of them hint at grey planets, maybe they are giant factory worlds, maybe the rivalry escalated a bit, maybe i’m wrong. Who knows.

I kind of like the idea that instead of being a big hero, you're just some minor operator in an agency that maintains planetary ecosystems and habitability.  You're a cross between janitorial staff and animal control.  

• Like 1

The problem with "maintaining ecosystems" is that they maintain themselves just fine if you let them be. Worse yet, the various minimal-effort plans that are aimed at maintaining or even affecting biodiversity in any way usually fail horribly, because there is no telling what might happen if we were to introduce e.g. a few more wolves in a given region. They might hunt another endangered species, succumb to some illness that they had not encountered before, choke on toxins that were considered harmless but acts up in presence of one particular genetical mutation that this herd possessed, etc.

Worse yet: if some species were to exterminate, let's say, 50% of the human population on earth, what do you think the reaction of the majority would be? They would make more children to fill the gap, of course! With some luck it might even throw world diplomacy into complete disarray, jam all means of production, most societies would simply seize up, fail, and die. Doing some "animal control" on a sort of dominant, mecha-bee species that managed to evolve all the way to colonising several solar systems... is beyond diplomacy, which might be possible, and into the territory of open space war.

Which I would not mind, but not with the excuse that said bees are too numerous. Otherwise I will ready my human eradicators, because, you know. Too many of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ookami-sama said:

The problem with "maintaining ecosystems" is that they maintain themselves just fine if you let them be. Worse yet, the various minimal-effort plans that are aimed at maintaining or even affecting biodiversity in any way usually fail horribly, because there is no telling what might happen if we were to introduce e.g. a few more wolves in a given region.

Isn’t that exactly what every government sustainability plan is?

Yeah, but this is a game.  We don't have to worry about things like realism.  Also, barrels of bio pollutants are something the government likes to regulate. 

Also, all of that operates on the assumption that the species you're controlling are not invasive species.