Stray Fawn Community

Atmospheric conditions - wind, temperature, rain

Tempvirage

Hi everyone,

I saw some topics regarding cold planets but I didn't see anything regarding other atmospheric conditions that would really add some cool gameplay mechanics/drone building challenges. Something along the lines of planets having extra conditions with different scales such as:

Wind - Force players to build drones with lots of engines

Low/None: default, as the game is now; maybe very slight forces at high altitudes

Medium: Maybe either a constant, low directional force that acts upon your x/y axis or occasional gusts that push you around if you're above a planet's horizon; Small -flight speed to rockets, bullets, etc.

High: Same conditions as medium but more severe changes from high to low altitudes/intervals; Greatly affect bullet drop/missiles, etc.

Extreme: (hurricanes/planetary storms?) Think Death Wind from the old SNES F-Zero (having to constantly fly at a 30+ degree offset + high wind gusts that push you off course); Missiles near useless (maybe just slightly alter the current existing signal affect?)

Rain

None/Low: No changes/default; slight visual effect

Medium: Visual effect that accompanies low/medium wind;

Heavy: Maybe something extreme like has some adverse affect to sensors such as disables all distance sensors, etc.?

Bonus: Perhaps have rain affect bio weapons like increase the fire rate/growth rate?

Temperature

Probably an obvious one/already suggested but maybe give planets passive temperatures that would force you to build heaters/coolers into your design in order to not overheat or freeze while exploring (rather than just have them to counter magma/meteorites); Also on that note, maybe add in a small cooler/heater affect to plasma/cold lasers that affect a .5-2 radius around the weapon while firing (.5 for short laser, 1-2 for long/extended lasers)

• Like 2

14 replies to this post

21 hours ago, ManTheMister said:

I think that a much simpler wind effect would be enough. A constant push in one X direction when not underground.

rain could be a purely graphic/audio effect.

13 hours ago, Lurkily said:

Wind should be a CW or CCW thing, rather than a left or right thing, given the radial nature of planets and gravity here.

That is what I meant.

That is the idea.  :) Making drones autonomous without being mere planet-destroyers is one of the most challenging things right now; with better sensor targets, it'll get easier, but it'll still require a lot of time.

5 hours ago, jbox1 said:

Rain should also make your drone experience a downforce from the rain falling when in the atmosphere, but not while underground

Not sure the game actually knows what's underground, and what's not.

6 hours ago, Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats! said:

No it does, Everything with a background counts as underground

What I mean, is that there's nothing to show that the engine has criteria by which it judges anything to be different about territory with a background.  Not that it makes it impossible, just another thing.