Entity

mspaint_2018-10-09_13-18-28.png

• Single block
  • Two modes; Transmit and Receive
  • One input
  • One output

Function:

• Transmit:
    • input works like any other logic input.
    • output can only be received by other Transceivers set to Receive (global, bypassing logic splitters)
  • Receive:
    • input is only accepted from other Transceivers set to Transmit (global, bypassing logic splitters)
    • output works like any other logic output

• Like 5

12 replies to this post

I want to revisit this. 

I've been a proponent of two modifications - making logic local, and letting local signals cross connectors.  It would give us the ability to control drones through ONLY selected signals.  

I've revised my opinion. 

I think local logic, and adding transceiver function (as described above)  to connectors, and receivers transmitting to ALL connected parts,  parent or child, is much better. 

If you can segregate which signals you send, you don't have to segregate which signals can cross a receiver.  Have its signals provided to all connected parts.  (In technical terms, have any hub mirror the signals of a child receiver, which poll transmitters for their signals.)

Thus there is no signal a connector blocks, every signal is treated consistently, as if it were just a button itself. It eliminates any and all ambiguity from wireless connectivity.  No special cases, no blocked signals without a real splitter in place. 

I want to make sure @Micha sees this, after all the text I dropped trying to tell him that my first idea was where I thought things should go. I don't change my mind easily, as some of you have no doubt noticed.  I think this is important, and good for the game, and that my idea was not the ideal solution. 

I don’t feel that a single-key transmitter would fit with what we have so far. Inputs that can only recieve outputs of specific parts and outputs that can’t be received by anything other than specific parts. I can easily see people getting confused and putting a wireless transmitter with an output “X” and try to activate things directly off of “X”. I think that it would be better if there were transmitters and receivers that were separate from each other that sent all keys/tags.

I missed that you said 'all tags'. Receivers and transmitters might clear some of the issues we have with sub drone control, but I think single - key capability would make such control quite easy and straightforward. 

Hmm.

Let me examine the problems again, load up my wireless ship, examine the various conditions I'd like to solve. It's not easy to hold it all in my head at once. Now that I'm seeing ways to eliminate all splitting function from a connector, I think we must. 

I still think a receiver's children would have to transmit to ALL connected parts, not just children. And I am still concerned that there would be situations where it would be difficult to separate signals that need to be separated, though I can't imagine a specific circumstance now. 

You said the exact same thing twice, except that the second time had one extra sentence.

I can see your point. I think that there should be both. Assuming there’s local logic, and only single key transmitters, no all purpose ones, then people who wanted to make a drone that spawns manually controlled drones using a factory block would need 1 receiver for every key that they want to use on that craft.

If there’s only all purpose transmitters, then if you had a sub-drone that used a sensor to do something AND sent the output of that sensor to the main drone, then all of those drones would crosstalk, and 1-key transmitters would be needed.

There should be both 1-key and general purpose.

My edit failed, and I had to copy it, reload, and I thought I'd replaced text instead of duplicated it when I pasted.  Oops.

That would require four parts - a pair for single-keys, a pair for general purpose. I'm not happy with changing one part to four to seek simplicity.

So let's do a thought experiment.  My failures with wireless control over drones include logic under a wireless part unable to interact with the subdrone's logic.  The parts it can interact with, also crosstalk.

If we had all-key transmitters and receivers, can someone think of something that would NOT be able to handle?  Give me an example, and we'll see if we can solve that example with indiscriminate transmitter-receiver connectors.  Keep in mind receivers in this model would be able to transmit to ALL connected parts of a sub-drone.  It would act like a button, reproducing signals that reach the transmitter.

If there were 2 or more identical sub-drones that both need to send signals to the main drone AND recieve commands from it, that might qualify.

Though it could be solved by putting any of the parts that send on the opposite side of a splitter, essentially making two different logic zones on the same zone, one for any part that needs to recieve signals, and one for any part that needs to send them.

I can’t think of any specific reason why you would want two identical drones that would both send the same signal to the main drone, but there must be some reason why somebody would want that.

I'm beginning to think that converting wireless transmitters to indiscriminate transmitter/receiver parts, and having receivers transmit to ALL connected parts, while not a solution in detail, is simple and provides enough building blocks to solve any of our issues with connectivity, and that won't change if logic goes local.

Neurons are firing... What if each transmitter or receiver, maybe both but maybe not, could have either a whitelist or a blacklist with up to, say, 4 signals. That way, subdrones could both transmit and recieve at the same rime without crosstalking.

If there were lots of keys in use, then multiple transmitters/receivers could be used.

So, indiscriminate transmitter/receiver parts, each one set to whitelist or blacklist, with a list of signals? And based on that list, accepting only those signals, or all signals except those? 

And receivers, like a button, would split nothing, checking all transmitters for signals, filtered by their list, if they have one? 

That would provide directional signals, segregate the signals sent/received, and be simple and self-explanatory, in my opinion.  It would solve just about any issue with wireless, and fulfill a number of feature requests, more or less.

• Like 1