Stray Fawn Community

Smarter auto-setting of thruster controls

GreyCore

Currently there is a simple system to determine what kind of keys should be set on newly placed thrusters. I think that a bit of additional logic should be added:

There is an arrow which shows the direction of the drone; I think the arrow direction should be changeable, and then, if the thruster faces towards the arrow direction it should be w, if it faces away, it should be s, and similar logic for a and d.

• Like 1

7 replies to this post

51 minutes ago, Jeroeno_Boy said:

this might just be a dump question from me, but do you mean that it goes with the arrow or against the arrow, that it will stand still? (this just might be my dislectia)

when thruster points in the same direction that the arrow points to, then it is set to w

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreyCore said:

when thruster points in the same direction that the arrow points to, then it is set to w

i get what you mean now (kinda) but its actually a good idea. (just to be clear xD) if arrow points up the thrust will go up, if down the thrust will go down, etc etc and diagnal it will be like leveled? shouldn't be that hard 4 the devs (i hope)

• Like 1

This is actually something you can do with logic.  Two directional sensors, tip them 45 degrees.  If W and upright, hit the forward thrust.  If W and turned right, etc.  You'd need a lot.  Just thinking about it for a couple seconds, my solution would require (assuming four thrust groups) 2 directional sensors' undivided attention and 16 AND blocks.  There's probably a better way, though.

Much easier to just have your drone self-orient so that it always faces the direction in which your controls make sense.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lurkily said:

This is actually something you can do with logic.  Two directional sensors, tip them 45 degrees.  If W and upright, hit the forward thrust.  If W and turned right, etc.  You'd need a lot.  Just thinking about it for a couple seconds, my solution would require (assuming four thrust groups) 2 directional sensors' undivided attention and 16 AND blocks.  There's probably a better way, though.

Much easier to just have your drone self-orient so that it always faces the direction in which your controls make sense.  

That is not what i meant. I want to put down a thruster, and it should be set to the right control automatically.

I think it's a bit complicated and uses center of mass currently, so if it's left of the center of mass it's considered a right turn thruster, etc.  I agree that simple directions like you're describing would be better, since even forward thrusters are pretty much never placed in line with the COM

EDIT: Just to clarify, I have no idea how it actually works and COM is just a guess from what I've seen :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GreyCore said:

That is not what i meant. I want to put down a thruster, and it should be set to the right control automatically.

Ooooooooooooooooooooh.  I thought you meant something Reassembly style, where everything that generates forward thrust is fired when you hit forward, so the same thrusters are often used for multiple vectors.  I see what you're getting at.

CoM isn't a great way to do it, if that's how it's currently done.  I admit I ignored it for the most part, and just accepted that it would always be wrong and need to be changed.  

• Like 2