Stray Fawn Community

Recoupler part.

The_Cubed_Martian

15 replies to this post

Hmm, do you mean like a "physical coupling"? In the way that train-carts are connected to each other?

Maybe we could add such a part, that you have a "coupler" part. And if you activate it, all other "couper" parts which are touching it (or are near it), simply stay connected to it in a rigid way as if it would be normally linked together. And if you release the "coupler" part, the other parts detach from that spot.

Yup! thats the idea, the energy beam would bend and curve and all that, and re couplers can only recouple to the parts that they were once coupled with. furthermore the tractor beam thing can only apply so much force, so you could end up with some interesting physics based problems to work around if both parts being decoupled have thrusters.

Pulling back the parts is not a problem and probably easily possible, but re-aligning them is probably tricky xD How would you like the disconnected part to re-attach? Even if it re-aligns in the same way, the shape might be different making it difficult to re-attach, hmm :D But the idea is good, maybe we can find a good solution.

14 minutes ago, Markus said:

Hmm, do you mean like a "physical coupling"? In the way that train-carts are connected to each other?

Maybe we could add such a part, that you have a "coupler" part. And if you activate it, all other "couper" parts which are touching it (or are near it), simply stay connected to it in a rigid way as if it would be normally linked together. And if you release the "coupler" part, the other parts detach from that spot.

Exactly like railway couplings, yes.

Multi-point couplings sound good too.

Also throws a bone at people wanting struts I guess :D

• Like 1

Ah, interesting. Yes, this way we could have some kind of pseudo-struts xD I'll definitely have to suggest that to the others in the team ^^

But as always, I can't make any promises. But would be an elegant solution, I think :) 

12 hours ago, Markus said:

Pulling back the parts is not a problem and probably easily possible, but re-aligning them is probably tricky xD How would you like the disconnected part to re-attach? Even if it re-aligns in the same way, the shape might be different making it difficult to re-attach, hmm :D But the idea is good, maybe we can find a good solution.

I would say when in range, and the input is active, exert force on the coupler block to rotate it to it's coupled orientation, and pull it closer.  Couple the blocks once they're close enough.

I would replace the decoupler with a "coupler," since this basically obsoletes the decoupler.

• Like 1

Think it could be had that the coupler parts would only attach to ones that share the same key input or Tag input
This would allow targeted coupling, as well as make it have a nice potential for complexity