Stray Fawn Community

Thruster types sugestions + example ~ 4k images

GreyCore

Pressurised thrusters - if all of the fuel storages are 100% - 95% the thruster gets ~25% bonus power. If there is less than 95% fuel left, power drops to 100% - ~25% when on the brink of running out of fuel. For more clearity i attached some numbers. More fuel - more power

Hybrid thrusters - they are very fuel efficient, but uses energy. Fuel to energy alternative

Ion thrusters - 2x2 sized thrusters that have the same amount of thrust, but uses energy instead of fuel. Large energy thrusters

Overclocked thrusters - have 30 % more power, but use 50% more fuel and act as heaters: one thruster begins to melt in 8 seconds of continuous firing. Unreliable, but powerful thrusters

Clockwork thrusters - Works in bursts ( they work for random periods between 0.1 and 0.6 seconds and then even if the key is pressed they turn off ). If being used while not off they quickly generate heat. But if timed perfectly they have 20 % more power.  Consumes same amount of fuel. Better timing - more power

Tweaked thrusters - produce 20 % less thrust and take up 1x3 space, but consumes 50 % less fuel. Highly efficient

Eco thrusters - Consumes no fuel, and consumes only 10 % of energy equivalent, produces 15% of normal thrust. Almost free but weak

Turbines - thrusters that use energy instead of fuel, and loose power if they go above a certain altitude ( too rare atmosphere ), and can be more powerful when in dense atmosphere, or less powerful when in less dense atmosphere. Power depends of atmosphere density and altitude

Independant thruster - a small thruster with a small fuel tank attached to it. Behaves just like one and the other, only that it has fuel storage, which is by default full, and the efficiency is between small and normal thruster. A bit weaker thruster with fuel storage. sorry, no drawing...

And for no other reason than, becouse i could, i have drawn some examples of almost usable quality.

Untitled.png

thrusters.png

thrusters.png

Edited by GreyCore
Whoops missed a thruster....
  • Like 2

9 replies to this post

I like Ecos - they basically operate on the principles of real-world ion engines; extremely low fuel use, energized thrust, but provides only as much thrust as the weight of a piece of paper. They'd be useful for all the stupid fine-thrust needs I have that, now, I have to use dynamic thrust for.  I'm not sure I like the total replacement of fuel in a number of these, though.  Fuel is a good weakness to have in design, an explosive weak point to protect.  I think I'd prefer that we keep requiring fuel for engines, even if a few can use energy as well.

Clockwork seems a little too useful to me, and a little too easy to just logic into perfect functionality; it seems like a skill-based thrusted, but a logic-based part can make normal thrusters just plain obsolete.

There's an saying in game design, that a decision is not a strategic decision unless it has both benefits and drawbacks; I think clockwork provides clear benefits, with drawbacks that are just too easy to make invisible.

Overclocked - make them explode violently when they overheat.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lurkily said:

I like Ecos - they basically operate on the principles of real-world ion engines; extremely low fuel use, energized thrust, but provides only as much thrust as the weight of a piece of paper. They'd be useful for all the stupid fine-thrust needs I have that, now, I have to use dynamic thrust for.  I'm not sure I like the total replacement of fuel in a number of these, though.  Fuel is a good weakness to have in design, an explosive weak point to protect.  I think I'd prefer that we keep requiring fuel for engines, even if a few can use energy as well.

Clockwork seems a little too useful to me, and a little too easy to just logic into perfect functionality; it seems like a skill-based thrusted, but a logic-based part can make normal thrusters just plain obsolete.

There's an saying in game design, that a decision is not a strategic decision unless it has both benefits and drawbacks; I think clockwork provides clear benefits, with drawbacks that are just too easy to make invisible.

Overclocked - make them explode violently when they overheat.

Ok, just gonna fix it right quick

and overclocked thrusters dont need that as they could easily melt the entire drone if not controlled

1 minute ago, Lurkily said:

Violent explosions are cooler than fire.

i suppose, but in 8 seconds of using it the drone is already burning. That is alot already... maybe too much even... explosions would only make it quite over the top, although cool...

Just now, Lurkily said:

I meant instead of fire, rather than in addition to; give it a heat threshold so that not only do you have to not overheat them, you have to protect them from external sources.

oh. You mean that they would be sensitive to damage, and would explode easily?

Nope, straight up heat.  If they ever got to the point where they would actually burn (get that weird magma-ey texture) they'd just go boom instead.  I mean, let's face it, if you don't have a cooler installed, the actual fire is more deadly.

• Like 1

Just now, Lurkily said:

Nope, straight up heat.  If they ever got to the point where they would actually burn (get that weird magma-ey texture) they'd just go boom instead.  I mean, let's face it, if you don't have a cooler installed, the actual fire is more deadly.

oh..... what i meant is that in 8 seconds ofcontinuous using they get to the melting point, or the lava-ish state