Stray Fawn Community

Own part creation, bigger variants (customization)

TheUnk0wnDead

I like that you can create you own weapons, but I would like to see that feature more expanded, and not just to weapons.

- Parts would have a base which can be chosen, bigger sizes give better stats, but can give disadvantages as well (weapons would normally cost more energy, but maybe making the efficieny upgrade less efficient? (80% might be too much)). Batteries and fuel could have bigger explosions, shields recharge more slowly, etc..

- Part types could maybe have different variants, like the different weapon types, and have their own tech tree (in most cases) for customization. Maybe there could be upgrades included that don't just give a advantage or disadvantage, but both, as an example a slower recharging shield for more capacity (or a faster one for less).

Not sure if I said everything, but its open to discussion.

Read below replies for additional content ideas

Edited by TheUnk0wnDead
These are rather two suggestions (moved the other to its own post)
  • Like 4

2 replies to this post

For larger weapons, they should require more energy and have better damage, but have slower turn speed and weigh more. Maybe larger weapons could give you 4 slots for the tech tree, but you couldn't use the energy efficiency modules on it. 

• Like 2

Oh yeah, I forgot the upgrades. I am not sure how big the impact could be if more upgrades would be possible, but I think in the future more slots will be added anyway (I think). I think it might get too problematic if you can't use any energy efficiency upgrades, a bigger laser could use too much, dependend on how big the scaling would be.

I think it might be a bigger topic to discuss the weapon balance as that feature for customization shouldn't be for weapons only, and I am not sure what possible upgrades there could be for other parts besides weapons.

Maybe another way of balancing could be that the part doesn't have a specific disadvantage at the start, but maybe you are forced to select one per a downgrade, which would increase (even if not in the intentional way) the upgrade slots. A problem could be that downgrades could be used in a way that might benefit more than it gives a disadvantage, but I think that is rather making something positive out of something negative and not a balance issue.

The point is that the extra slot(s) would only apply to larger parts and not the smallest one.

I am not too fond of my last idea about the downgrade, but is just an idea. I think it might be better to rather increase/decrease stats in an intentional way (or atleast there should be smaller and/or bigger variants for downgrades, as some could be too drastic if applied).

• Like 1