Stray Fawn Community

Water

kaufgamer

11 replies to this post

I like the idea and possibility it could give. The specialized propellors would be an interesting addition, too, but maybe dependend on how much water would be added to other planets.

I am already thinking of different ways to play, like having the main drone hovering above the water and letting a remote "sub"-drone explore the planet, or some way of letting the main drone in and somehow out, maybe changing its "equipment" (maybe if recouplers would be implemented).

I think the main problem could be the ressource container, whether it is above or in the water. If thruster don't work, don't they work temporary or permanently? If the whole drone goes underwater and you need to do something above it it would get complicated.

Another feature that could be included would floaters, so instead of flying you could float above the water.

Of course the water should be an additional detection type for sensors, or it could be a main difficulty problem for automated drones.

I think thrusters wouldn't be the only things that wouldn't work in water anymore, but weapons would be a major point. Well, they are rather futuristic so they could practically work underwater, like laser shooting normally, or maybe balanced with some type of resistance, like it's shooting through, but slowed down and earlier faded.

But besides the weapon types, the damage types are a bigger influence. The "flamethrower" weapon type isn't essentially fire, so it might be logical it that it still works. The damage types could have a big impact on the surroundings, so Plasma would heat the water around its projectiles and cryo cool down and freeze it. As weapons' projectiles are effected, the same applies to that, so it is more slowly heating/cooling.

Terraforming is a bit questionable, whether it gets affected by the water or not, because you could just give the argument "It needs to be more solid in order to work", or it might work directly at the output of the weapon, but that would be a huge problem as it would be too close and weapons could be in a drone, so you would create terrain in the drone.

Well, a big topic to discussion here ^^'

• Like 1

I'm not certain about props; I don't like the idea of there being too many special-case "this one thing can only do this one thing and it's the only thing" scenarios.  It introduces a tactical need, but the decision to use props on a water planet isn't a strategic choice - there are no strategic decisions when the answers are all correct or incorrect.

I'm tentatively in favor of turbines; engines that work more effectively at lower altitudes, and because of what a turbine is, it's conceivable they could be suited to water, too.

But . . . why would a thruster not work in water?  I mean, it's not like a normal fire, the oxygen for burning a rocket is in the fuel.

This kind of water doesnt fit this game. I have no idea how this would be implemented, since what you describe is not a feature, but a structure, whic in these small planets have no space to be put in. If water would be added, it would be a good idea to add water planets, with water that could be frozen or boiled. That i would love to see.

Just like magma planets; anything closer than a certain distance to the core is water.   Spawn the planet with large interior gaps, or no interior mass below a certain altitude.  Add water critters.

I would have water regulate temperature to a norm unique to the planet; it might all be pretty hot, or all be pretty cold.  And remember, it may not be water.  Maybe it's liquid nitrogen, or methane; maybe you need heaters to navigate it.

I would have weapons act as normal, but plasma/cryo weapons would be less effective, because of the normalization of temperature.

• Like 1

I don't think weapons should work fully normal, but maybe it is just something like I mentioned earlier about fading projectiles and shorter lasers.

While the weapons are futuristic, the water should show some type of resistance. It might be not that much at the beginning, but it builds itself over the distance, I would think.

But then again the special case of the temperature weapons. That might be a nice feature, too, that it isn't especially water, but some type of liquid that needs you to adjust your weapons/equipment.

I would say that the projectiles of weapons affect the surrounding liquid, but depending on the liquid (or rather temperature) standards of the planet it might be less, or even more, effective.

Lava/Magma is a type of liquid that instantly deals damage on contact, which you might try to avoid by freezers, but still not fully.

Heated/cold(frozen) water could have an interesting effect, maybe with some enemies effecting its temerature in order to annoy you, or some natural generation that effects it.

Maybe there could be objectives depending on the temperature, like "Taw a frozen planet by destroying 'x'", or "Avoid 'y' by heating up the planet, by doing 'x'".

Edit: There could be interactions like tawing frozen water, so instead of just mining you would be able to generate water instead with Plasma (heated) weapons.

Well, 'air' resistance should be raised, but what I mean is that projectiles should still shoot, and impacts should still damage.  The best way to get big, game-changing ideas into play is usually to make it so you don't have to ACTUALLY change the game fundamentally, in order to change gameplay.  

Lava doesn't deal damage currently; only adds heat.   Which adds fire, which adds damage, but still. 

I could get on board with frozen and liquid water; just make it a new terrain type that spontaneously, slowly grows to fill up to the waterline, faster if it's colder.  Only damaged by plasma or proximity to heat, but generates cold.  

That way if you melt it away, it's really just terrain damage that exposes the darker blue of liquid water that's behind it, the way magma on a magma world is always hidden behind the terrain if you clear it.