Stray Fawn Community

Standardize PvP

Eldrad

There appear to be significant differences in the evaluation of sumo matches on different hardware (beyond just uniform randomness). I suspect it's due to different numbers of times (and the spacing between) logic/sensors/collisions are evaluated in a match. The result is different drones perform better or worse depending on the hardware of the observer.

There are a couple different ways to address this but they're likely all pretty significant development time. On the other hand I'm concerned the PvP won't sustain interest without everyone being able to observe similar outcomes from the same drone fights.

Supposedly the Bumpercar 6 vs CyberpunkBeyblade is a reasonable example of these results (which one wins a higher % of the time shifts between lower end and higher end hardware). I haven't tested it myself.

• Like 1

3 replies to this post

Interesting, I haven't thought about that. I can't say for certain, but I think we update our logic in the "Update" loop, which runs depending on how fast your computer is. Maybe we have to move that logic to the "fixed Update", which is how the physics engine calculate things and should run at an even interval, regardless of your computer. Maybe that would mitigate the problem a bit. But I can't say how easily this can be done.

• Like 1