Stray Fawn Community

More stable connections / special rigid block

TheUnk0wnDead

Bigger parts aren't essentially better, so maybe there could be some way of strengthening the connection between parts? The game already includes some type of stronger connection if the part size increases (not that strong in my opinion), but I think there could be another mechanic included to lose some of the "wiggly".

- Rigid blocks was already suggested, so maybe a special block variant instead? It could have two possible advantages, whether to strengthen its connection to other parts, or make a rigid connection to others, but both (or the latter) only to the same part variant, so it won't connect benefit from others. A disadvantage could be an increase in weight, so it won't be smart to build too many of them.

- Or instead of rigid blocks the part sizes could have a bigger impact. Connections between bigger parts are bigger, so more stable than between a big and a small one. It could be a ratio of the part sizes that defines the strength (2x2 + 1x1 / 2 = 1.5), but the impact would be only if it connects to the same size or bigger. Or maybe the overall game connections could be strengthened, but connections to smaller ones gives disadvantages. Or maybe a mechanic that strengthens the connections if more previous ones are between bigger parts (so a row of bigger parts can make smaller ones at the end more stable), but depending on the length of connections between parts.

Not sure if I said everything, but its open to discussion.

• Like 1

1 reply to this post

I've mentioned it before; what about inertial dampeners?  Straight out of star trek, according to lore they would basically limit the impact of physics in wobbling your ship.  In terms of code, they would just make all nearby, or (dev's choice) all connected parts (whether through parent or child parts) more rigid.  They would consume energy, so enough of them could make a ship fully rigid at a cost to your efficiency, and requiring you to adapt your construction to that need.

This seems like a decent trade-off between oversimplifying shipbuilding (let's make everything rock-solid and simple!) and the current system, which forbids anything beyond a certain size, unless you want a drone made of Jell-O.