Stray Fawn Community

PCB board (a less OP idea for complex logic curcuitry managment)

jbox1

So, some people are suggesting the implementation of ways to compact their gates into less space and less parts, with custom logic blocks or scripting, but I have a major issue with this idea. Having the ability to have all logic gates in one part would be *extremely* overpowered in Sumo games. Usually, the addition of more brains to a drone would be done at the expense of power, due to the part limit. However, if a user could add a single block to do all the code they want, it would be extremely overpowered. The idea of the sumo arena is for it to be a simple minigame in Nimbatus, but to have the ability to do this would really ruin the experience. However, I do have an idea to mabey make a sort of in between part idea.

The “PCB” (Printed Curcuit Board) would be a placeable part, which could have gates placed within it. Said gates will take the same space as they would normally, and cannot overlap. Non-logic gate parts cannot be placed in a PCB. Gates within a PCB are considered seperate from the drone (as if they are on a logic splitter), but you can add “input/output” gates into a PCB, which can be binded to a key inside the PCB and outside the PCB. Both binds can be different keys. Gates inside a PCB will not have their physics calculated, and instead will all be calculated relative to the PCB, saving on computer recourses. The PCB’s health is the same as the sum of its gate’s health. The gates within a PCB will still count to the part count, except for the input/output gates and the PCB itself. PCBs can also be saved, and used again in other drones.

In conclusion, these PCBs would allow the ability to easily manage large amounts of gates without taxing usability or computer recourses, and will also be more stable and economical to use. They won’t severely affect Nimbatus as a whole, but will certainly aid players in designs requiring complex curcuitry.

• Like 1

4 replies to this post

I agree to your point of view, that a single block might be op, but I think there are other ways to avoid that problem. Ways like:

- Banning that block type, so players are forced to use more blocks

- or that there is some point of limitation when using that block, that there is some way of "counting possible parts". Not sure how they would plan to introduce such a "script block", if it is some type of actual scripting or maybe something more related to the current logic parts (only set amount of inputs, outputs, etc.), so with the latter option it could be possible to "count" things as if they would be the actual parts.

But besides that limitation, I think there is a problem which may make it even more OP, which you didn't (clearly) mention. It isn't the fact that it occupies a single part slot, but the size gets way smaller. Normally you could consider that as soon as a specific logic part gets destroyed, the drone malfuntion gets too big and it might lead to an easier lose, but the "scripting block" could be much more easily protected.

But again, I don't think it is a real problem, instead it could be seen as a challenge between experienced players, and in a combined way of "banning" it, it would be rather another category of sumo battles, so you normally are not allowed to use it except in that category.

Edit: I don't think it would be too convinient as you rather try to clarify the issues with sumo battles, but it should be added as an overall game feature. The sumo battle is just a game mode, with the explanation above I think such a thing could be just avoided, but the main game experience should be rather boosted.

For me such a block wouldn't be really helpful, as the main point of the script block should be the needed space and a better overview of the logic and its connections. Additionally the script block works normally, as if it would be a placed block, but your variant would be seperated and might make it more complicated if you need to specify inputs and outputs seperatly.

But it's just my opinion, people could have others, I stated my main reason before the edit.

Edited by TheUnk0wnDead
I said I didn't understand the PCB, but what a second read can change...
  • Like 1

I'd support this.  I've seen a number of similar suggestions for computers and processors before.  I would still like the potential to compress logic somewhat; perhaps put a 3x3 grid for logic inside a 2x2 container.

• Like 2

This has a significant added advantage of allowing us to write more modular code (particularly if these blocks can be nested within each other).

Ideally a single block could be written in one place then referenced by multiple drones. And if updated would be updated for all drones.

I like how it's basically a subroutine with an input and an output - currently being able to input/output between logic networks is impossible, I was hoping for something more general to handle that, but this also has the advantage of not having to apply physics to logic.  I think that's important and good, because they're small, relatively fragile pieces and it seems a little odd to have them bouncing around and bumping into your drone's actual structure.  

What's the idea with the size of this block?  It would almost have to be able to resize to work properly, otherwise you'd pretty much always end up with too much or too little in the PCB compared to the logic it contains

Also, as for Sumo being a 'minigame' - I know more content is coming, but Sumo is the only part of the game that seems replayable and it should probably have a lot of focus on it

• Like 1