Stray Fawn Community

Categorized and advanced tutorials

TheUnk0wnDead

I think this is one of the games which could have many tutorials, because it offers many possiblities for building things. Because of that it could be smart to categorize them rather than showing a (big) single list.

The first category would be the basic one about basic building and convinience (like showing the tag feature (requested in another request)). More categories could include more complicated ones, because the current ones are very basic. Tutorials shouldn't be too basic, or it might get confusing for less experienced players when further playing the game. Of course it can be fun to experiment with things, but showcasing and explaining could be pretty helpful if a player is unsure about something or wants to know about more possibilities.

Not sure if it would be categorized as convinience or something feature related, but some gameplay elements should be explained so it doesn't get confusing. While playing further I asked myself what the transmitter really did, and didn't know why I didn't do that connection in my brain earlier, but it should be explained that the transmitter grants the advantage/disadvantage, that is shown in the top right corner in the editor, until it is destroyed. The biggest confusion was when there were too often planets with more gravity/air density, but in reality it was the fault of the transmitter, which decreases the thrusters' force by half.

Not sure if it is really convinient, but maybe the tutorials could be unlockable (depending on the future content). With my lack of creativity, I don't know too many possible tutorials that could be locked away until you really need them, as the game is rather sandbox oriented, but it might be possible if more mission types get available.

Instead of locking them away, it could be smarter to show a hint box when it might be helpful to do a specific tutorial when you reached specific points, like the above example of the transmitter. The tutorial isn't really necessary earlier, but as soon as that disadvantage occurs it might help confused players.

Well, I am not someone with the creativity to know what tutorials might be possible or really necessary, but I think these points should be considered.

• Like 1

1 reply to this post

Good suggestions. I think we need to add more tutorials and maybe re-think of how we introduce players into the game. I'm not sure how usable our system is for conveying more complex ideas. Maybe simple videos, a tutorial video series might be much better to tell you all about the game than complicated in-game tutorials :/

We could make all these videos, make a playlist and link them inside the game.

Not yet sure how we'll do it. But something is coming sooner or later :)