Stray Fawn Community

[0.5.8] Aim is off with even number of beams

Entity

Yes, my OCD would prefer that. :)

The hole is a non-issue because you can either sweep or play with the focal point (if you have multiple offset turrets).

Yes it makes using laser fans slightly trickier with distance sensors like that but then you can just not pick the +3 beams upgrade and take the +2 instead.

Honestly?  I mean, really honestly?  Why do even-numbered upgrades exist?  They're awkward and weird.

Let's replace them with something else.  Instead of 2,3,4,5 beams, give us 3 and 5, and two something interesting.

There are all sorts of cool tricks that lasers don't get, let's borrow some.  AOE at laser impact.  Generate a vacuum to suck enemies into the impact area. (stay on target ... stay on target ...)  Auto-target the nearest terrain within an arc. (Sweep out those invisible particles, dammit!)  Shape the beam like a travelling sine wave, same damage potential, but unfocused and more fanned-out.  Increased elemental effect, with decreased damage. (I'm okay with a mixed effect here, since this is an inherent property of elemental damage.)