Stray Fawn Community

Make logic parts work like fuel/energy

Marker Mage

The Idea

Just have the various parts with inputs and outputs only give those inputs and outputs to parts that are physically connected to them. Have an exception for parts that come after a logic connector. Maybe have the exception also cover parts connected to the drone core.

The Reason

I want to be able to make a drone whose layout includes something like...

core --> factory --> resource box --> flight stuff to get it to the resource collector

Because I want the ability to have multiples of the factory-made part without their inputs and outputs messing each other up, it needs to be...

core --> factory --> logic splitter --> resource box --> flight stuff to get it to the resource collector

Because I also want it to only try to go to the resource collector when it's released, I need it to be...

core --> factory (release input: A key) --> logic splitter --> resource box --> switch (input: A key/output: "fly" tag) --> flight stuff to get it to the resource collector (input: "fly" tag)

However, that switch fails because of the logic splitter before it. If I instead try...

core --> factory (release input: A key) --> logic splitter --> resource box --> flight stuff to get it to the resource collector (input: "fly" tag) --> logic connector --> switch (input: A key/output: "fly" tag)

...then while the switch does activate, it still fails to affect the flight stuff because outputs don't get to travel backwards through logic connectors. However, if the idea of this post is implemented, it would be possible to go with something like...

core --> button ("connected" tag) --> factory --> resource box --> NOT gate (input: "connected" tag/output: "fly" tag) --> flight stuff to get it to the resource collector (input: "fly" tag)

If this setup is used with this idea implemented, the NOT gate part would cease to receive the "connected" tag once the factory's release input is given, thus giving the "fly" output to activate the flight stuff.

An Alternative

Another idea that I've had that would get around this problem is either of a pair of parts described here: 

A Late Realization

So I could apparently just use a distance sensor set to drone parts. Well, I've already put this much thought into this and want to see if it or the alternative I linked to get votes or not. Maybe someone else will want it implemented for a different reason.

EDIT: Added wireless tranceiver post to alternative section.

Edited by Marker Mage
Added another link to a related idea

12 replies to this post

I think I agree with Eldrad here.  I'm not opposed to the concept of local logic and operators, but I don't think it should be at the expense of global logic.  It would also make the learning curve steeper for new players, and Nimbatus can't sacrifice player base just because a concept is shiny or conceptually cool.

I'm not really a fan of the local logic idea, but I fully agree with the problem you're describing.

My take on solving that would be "one way splitters", one for receiving and one for sending:

1. Receiving: Global signals travel through, but the Signals of logic on the drone wont come out
  2. Sending: the exact opposite, the drone is cut off from receiving global inputs, but all logic on the drone is sent globally

How about this?  You could use a factory to manufacture a specific logic set for a specific behaviour.  Decouple it, and use a second factory to build a different behaviorset in its place, when you need to switch.  It's a hacky solution, but it might be a decent stand-in for the moment.

Other than that, splitters with an activation/deactivation input are a good alternate solution, and I think the wireless transmitter that ONLY transmits a SPECIFIC output is also a good idea.

21 hours ago, ManTheMister said:

Logic splitters/joiners are already in the game, and work similarly to what you say.

I have to agree that splitters and transmitters in their current form are kind of limited; you either get all or nothing, and you can't change it when circumstances change.

59 minutes ago, Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats! said:

We could create a separate part for this problem one that has the property of only passing inputs on to things it’s connected to.

That's what Entity's transceiver block suggestion would be good for.  I also, though, want to be able to enable/disable splitter blocks and wireless transmitters.