Stray Fawn Community

Zero-G missions

ManTheMister

22 replies to this post

1 hour ago, Lurkily said:

For autonomous completion, what would your directional sensors that are gravity-tuned point to?  Center of the play area?

In the test area when gravity is off it just points down, but in sumo it points towards the center of the play area. I’m not sure. I would just leave it up to the devs to decide if this gets implemented.

The test area has a false centerpoint below the bottom border; gravity sensors don't respect it, but altitude sensors do.  The degree of the effect on altitude in the test chamber also is defined by the planet you're currently visiting.

For non-autonomous playthroughs, it would be much easier to control if “gravity” was always directly down, and you didn’t rotate around anything. For autonomous playthroughs, gravity direction sensors pointing down would still stabilize the drone and prevent it from going in circles. Directional sensors set to gravity should point down in these areas.

I'm not entirely sure they should provide a reading at all in these areas.  Upon thought, having a directional sensor set to gravity is an almost certain sign you're using the wrong design for the region.  Maybe you have it so it can also be used on planets, and that's fine, but there's no possible purpose to serve here.

I also think that in Zero-G regions, the camera should always take its up-down orientation from your drone, instead of the level.  The designers seem to have gone to some trouble to be physically correct in some regards, such as space and movement and orientation having no meaning without a point of reference.  On a planet, that point would be the center of the planet, but in a Zero-G region, I'm not sure using the center of the map to orient the camera makes sense - nor does having an arbitrary orientation locked, as if space had a north and south.

When you get too far out, you can get an arrow pointing you toward the center, as you do on planets, to make sure you don't get lost.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Lurkily said:

I'm not entirely sure they should provide a reading at all in these areas.  Upon thought, having a directional sensor set to gravity is an almost certain sign you're using the wrong design for the region.  Maybe you have it so it can also be used on planets, and that's fine, but there's no possible purpose to serve here.

I also think that in Zero-G regions, the camera should always take its up-down orientation from your drone, instead of the level.  The designers seem to have gone to some trouble to be physically correct in some regards, such as space and movement and orientation having no meaning without a point of reference.  On a planet, that point would be the center of the planet, but in a Zero-G region, I'm not sure using the center of the map to orient the camera makes sense - nor does having an arbitrary orientation locked, as if space had a north and south.

When you get too far out, you can get an arrow pointing you toward the center, as you do on planets, to make sure you don't get lost.

That would probably work best. There would need to be some way to set the direction of the camera on the core and in camera trackers.

By orientation - rotate the camera module to rotate the camera orientation.  The core rotation is the tricky part, but I feel like up in the editor should be up for the camera, if we can't get core rotation.

On 10/20/2018 at 10:35 AM, Lurkily said:

By orientation - rotate the camera module to rotate the camera orientation.  The core rotation is the tricky part, but I feel like up in the editor should be up for the camera, if we can't get core rotation.

There would need to be some sort of graphic on the core/camera trackers so that yo my know what direction they are facing.

Oh, absolutely agreed, more sensor criteria are necessary, I just don't think that the gravity sensor will necessarily fail to provide that point of reference. I think more criteria are necessary just because logic, though potentially powerful, needs the operators to act upon before it can really flex its muscle. 

Gravity sensors would probably always point into the tolerance of thier sensor. The camera would point in a direction relative to your drone. The Hopper would be the opening on the bottom of the nimbatus, and there would be some sort of vacuum (except no air, so probably a tractor beam instead) to suck things in, on account of there being no gravity.

normal gravity-stabilizing drones would still work here as long as you keybound the thrusters that turn the drone towards gravity to work manually, because the directions would always be the same, relatively to your screen.

Maybe “gravity” should just be the center of the play area. It would be the average location of all the mass (approximately), and sumo doesn’t have any gravity but that’s where the sensor points.

It seems to me that what’s more accurate and what is better from a gameplay perspective is different, and whatever the devs pick will upset some people. Personally, I think that going with better gameplay would be a bit better, but I’de be fine with wherever the devs picked.

On 12/20/2018 at 11:01 PM, notsew93 said:

Alternatively to the center of play area for gravity sensor in no-grav maps, it could point to the Nimbatus. Heck, I'd like a Nimbatus setting anyways. 

I agree because the nimbatus seems  heavy.