Stray Fawn Community

Improve terrain destruction

Ian S

As requested, I'm cutting up my other post into individual sections for easier commenting.

Cleaner handling of the terrain would be good. What I mean by this is that there have been numerous times where I've destroyed the land, I can't see even a single pixel left behind, but when I try to fly though the area the ship gets caught on something. I spray weapon fire back and forth (20 odd high powered lasers) and sometimes I can clear it up, but often I just have to jiggle back and forth until I can go back the way I came.

• Like 1

My suggestion would be to simply draw a border around any terrain piece that's a few pixels wide.  A 2-pixel border means that even a terrain scrap smaller than a pixel would show as a four-pixel bit of terrain.  It would be nice if weapons would collide with the border, too, so we could more easily clean up scraps.

Collision with weapons would be nice too, to make it easier to clean up scraps, but I recognize that it might be hard, with larger terrain chunks, to determine which exact terrain should be destroyed by a collision with the border.