Stray Fawn Community

I have decided I want to learn German

Goggles-kun

25 minutes ago, Lurkily said:

God, those declensions.  And the words with totally random genders that don't make sense for the word.  I like and respect the German people, but I hate their language.

Quite many hate it too. 😅

If you translate Latin correctly into German, you get German that isn't German, but at least more pretty. 

Well, that is not the world's easiest language to learn. I am German but I am not sure if I can give you many tips. It is like any other language just that it sucks XD You have to learn an awful lot... and German is weird, we have so many grammar rules that are just weird. I mean 'umfahren' and 'umfahren' mean completly the opposite depending on intonation ^^

Though once you are far enough reading and watching movies/ tv series in german helps an awful lot (and we have a crapton of dubbed stuff soo that will be easy) that's the way I learned english after getting far enough through school I read a lot of books and watched english stuff :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Caspercaper17 said:

German is an awful language. I wouldnt advise it.

23 hours ago, Lurkily said:

I like and respect the German people, but I hate their language.

Well, if you guys don't advise me to do it, what language do you advise me to learn? I'm not interested in French, Spanish would probably be helpful because of where I live, and I heard Nordic languages are waaaay harder.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Goggles-kun said:

Well, if you guys don't advise me to do it, what language do you advise me to learn? I'm not interested in French, Spanish would probably be helpful because of where I live, and I heard Nordic languages are waaaay harder.

You should do anything you feel would be easier for you! These are just opinions, it's your life, after all, you can do what you want.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Goggles-kun said:

If you want to do it, don't let other people let you talk out of it. Learning languages is always tricky. I really enjoy learning languages and if you choose the language it is way easier just because you have the motivation :D

Also if you can speak German learning Norwegian is really easy (I am in my third semester of learning Norwegian and a lot of the grammar is the same with the german grammar). I can't say much about Swedish but danish is very similar to Norwegian so I guess still easy if you can speak German. Finnish is super hard and I don't think worth learning (not many people speak finnish). Islandic is interesting (easier to learn if you can speak Norwegian) :)

• Like 1

Latin is also a language I hate.  EVERYTHING is dependent on form and declension.  Everything.  There is a proper word order, but it's a gentleman's handshake based on the habits of one popular dude's speeches.  Different word orders have no influence on meaning, other than being obviously incorrect.

To be fair, I may just hate learning languages.

2 hours ago, Skysplash8 said:

@Goggles-kun Apparently learning Latin helps you learn other languages. Thus, we learn it in school. Guess what grade of mine is the worst? LATIN. (All the other are A's or somethin,a nd Latin's a C or something)

Really? In my school we don’t learn Latin. The closest thing I ever got was French in 4th grade.

10 hours ago, Skysplash8 said:

@Goggles-kun Apparently learning Latin helps you learn other languages. Thus, we learn it in school. Guess what grade of mine is the worst? LATIN. (All the other are A's or somethin,a nd Latin's a C or something)

We could choose between Latin or French, seriously that's choosing between a rock and a hard place. My french grade usually was the worst together with math... but we don't speak about math XD

9 hours ago, Goggles-kun said:

Really? In my school we don’t learn Latin. The closest thing I ever got was French in 4th grade.

Latin is the root of many other languages -- Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian -- and contributes to many others, including English, and medical/scientific terminology.  A grounding in Latin can help you decipher the rudiments of other languages without knowing them at all.

• Like 1

The thing with any language is to also have someone to practice speaking with as well. Back in high school I took German classes when I first started unfortunately the school quit offering it after a year. Then I took Chinese classes for two years. Unfortunately with no one to talk with in those languages I don't remember much anymore just a few words. I've recently wanted to try to revisit on of these just not sure which. My teachers always said you have to practice a lot, the more you speak it the better. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 3:54 PM, Caspercaper17 said:

German is an awful language. I wouldnt advise it.

Why? It's easy to learn(at least for english people), it's popular, beautiful(in my opinion) and useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading my very first manga in Japanese :D
It's a simple one for children, but it feels like a big step forward ^^

私は初めて日本のマンガを読みました。
それはとても簡単な漫画です、子供たちはそれを読むことができます。しかし、それは一歩前進です。

IMG_0509.thumb.jpg.d3d0bd7790bb1aa6d13aa6ae74d2a2b2.jpg

Does anybody know this manga :D?

• Like 2